The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-13-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Considering purchase: 93-0053 Spyder

Hello, I came across This Spyder a few days ago. It has a few issues. The paint has a couple chips. A minor door ding or two. The front fascia hit a curb lightly I was told and had a repaint. It's missing it's number under the drivers side headlight. The fender wells have been rolled. Not the best job I've seen. The paint needs work above both fender lips because of cracked paint.. I was not able to get the full setup on the car. The older owner said his son had all the specs. I know when he started it I could smell race fuel and a cam. Also, the car was raced several times.

The price is a bit steep for a modified car IMO. I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure, I'd appreciate it. I'm not new to Mustangs. I sold my 93 Cobra in 09. I also had a TT 03 Cobra I sold in 08. I always regretted selling my 93.

Old 01-14-2014
Administrator

93-0071 sold at auction for $27,500.00.

www.auctionsamerica.com

In some instances, Saleen prices are higher when vehicles are sold within the "Saleen Community." When the cars are offered at auction, they can tend to fall on their face.

#71 was both a factory Supercharged and Spyder vehicle. With a previous panel replacement and some paint.

Your 93-0053 is not a factory Supercharged car, but is a factory Spyder. This car also featured the optional 3.55:1 gears, Radar Detector and Pioneer CD player. Car originally had a white top. Vehicle was sold by Sawtooth Auto Sales.

Does the car have a clean title? Are all the Ford VIN tags still mounted on the body panels? What are the original miles? Does the vehicle have original purchase documents, owners material, owners guides? What are you looking to do with the vehicle? Drive, collect, race or show?

Looks like someone cut the passenger side apron to mount a larger inlet, for originality this is a negative. The need of paint work is a negative.

While the Saleen period intake manifold is a plus. The original one-piece 17" Stern wheels are a plus.

Saleen produced about 33 convertibles in 1993. Of those, about 7 were white. Of these, about 2 were not Supercharged.

From these 7 white convertibles, about 6 were Spyders.

If this vehicle is void of a dirty past and in the $20,000.00 or less range, I would look into it more. If this vehicle is $40,000.00 or more, I would not give a second thought. My opinion.

We do have a number of fox Saleen collectors that both lurk and post. They may have better insight.
Old 01-14-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for the reply and insight.

I'm a purist, but it's not everyday you come across a Saleen. I've been wanting to get back into a Mustang for all the reasons you stated. The mods do bother me a bit, but they're not a deal killer. I don't know about all the manuals, I did see a window sticker. It has all the vin tags. The miles are just over 15,000. The title is clean.

Price is a bit over your lowest number.
Old 01-14-2014
Administrator

Does not sound unreasonable.

What is the collective retail price for the modifications? Receipts available?
Old 01-14-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Does not sound unreasonable.

What is the collective retail price for the modifications? Receipts available?
I didn't add up the receipts. They are available.

I hope to hear from other Fox Saleen owners soon with their thoughts.

Thank you, again.

Patrick
Old 01-14-2014
SOEC Member

Think Dave is right on w price IMHO. If paint was mint maybe 25k for a non factory supercharged but not too many 93's come up. They are desirable. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 vert View Post
Think Dave is right on w price IMHO. If paint was mint maybe 25k for a non factory supercharged but not too many 93's come up. They are desirable. Good luck!
Thank you.

25k is the number, and it's firm. Owner doesn't need to sell the car. I think it's a bit high, but again, not many 93 convertibles come up for sale.

The body issues bother me.

I'm just trying to do as much research as possible before parting with some other toys I enjoy to make room for the Saleen. And of course, I don't want to purchase a collector car and have to possibly sell it at a massive loss someday.
Old 01-14-2014
SOEC Member

93's are a pretty safe bet to not loose money! If you like it, buy it and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 vert View Post
93's are a pretty safe bet to not loose money! If you like it, buy it and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do like it!

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014
SOEC Member

I have owned several 93's and I think it is priced about right. just my opinion.

93-0001R Saleen World Challenge SA10 Race Car
AKA "The Beast"
90 Saleen SC 12 Tim Allen Tonight Show Burnout Car
93-050 Factory Supercharged Black on Black Leather
89-091R John Ames Saleen Race Car
91 Saleen SC #9
1970 Mustang Fastback Grabber Green all original survivor 80k miles,purchased from original owner
Previously owned 98 Saleen Race car,99 S351#07, 95 SR 14, 93#18, 93-39, 90#214, 89 SSC #168, 88 R Model 94 S351R code #28
Old 01-14-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm View Post
I have owned several 93's and I think it is priced about right. just my opinion.
Thank you. I highly value your opinion.
Old 01-15-2014
Account with Invalid Email

Correct me if am wrong has the speedo been change? I bought a brand new 92 gt and the miles stop working and when ford replace it . It had the white with red numbers and i ask them y was it different and ford said it was a replacement thats y it was red then black like what came in it.
Old 01-15-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christack View Post
Correct me if am wrong has the speedo been change? I bought a brand new 92 gt and the miles stop working and when ford replace it . It had the white with red numbers and i ask them y was it different and ford said it was a replacement thats y it was red then black like what came in it.
Bryan (coupey) once pointed this detail out, the red tenths numerals, with regards to 93-0020 and 91-0014SC. Mark (perauto) said some Saleen Mustang were converted with these replacement dials.
Old 02-01-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

I took delivery of the car today.
Old 02-01-2014
Administrator

Congratulations!
Old 02-01-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb03 View Post
I took delivery of the car today.
Congrats!!!

93-0001R Saleen World Challenge SA10 Race Car
AKA "The Beast"
90 Saleen SC 12 Tim Allen Tonight Show Burnout Car
93-050 Factory Supercharged Black on Black Leather
89-091R John Ames Saleen Race Car
91 Saleen SC #9
1970 Mustang Fastback Grabber Green all original survivor 80k miles,purchased from original owner
Previously owned 98 Saleen Race car,99 S351#07, 95 SR 14, 93#18, 93-39, 90#214, 89 SSC #168, 88 R Model 94 S351R code #28
Old 02-02-2014
SOEC Member

I have seen many red tenth digits on untouched cars as well. No worries. Enjoy your purchase! Nice score!