The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-20-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Side skirts dont fit well? - Problem?

Anybody else have the issue of their side skirts not fitting that well. The double sided tape just doesnt hold. After a while they just start to peel off at the top when the tape dries out. I dont see how they are supposed to stay on since the polyurethane skirts just dont mold and shape to the cars body. Has anybody figured out any other options of keeping these things on?
Old 05-20-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post
Anybody else have the issue of their side skirts not fitting that well. The double sided tape just doesnt hold. After a while they just start to peel off at the top when the tape dries out. I dont see how they are supposed to stay on since the polyurethane skirts just dont mold and shape to the cars body. Has anybody figured out any other options of keeping these things on?

Mine are slightly pulled away from the body. It doesn't look bad so I try not to look at it. One day i'll either get them molded in or reattached
Old 05-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02S/Csaleen View Post
Mine are slightly pulled away from the body. It doesn't look bad so I try not to look at it. One day i'll either get them molded in or reattached
Never thought of having them molded in, that would look sooo much better. I wonder how much that would cost to have done at a body shop.
Old 05-22-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Windshield adhesive.
Old 05-22-2010

i found some install instructions on here for the body kit. it says to use 3M adhesion promoter before using their double sided tape. I think im gonna pull off the side skirts and install them using that and see if it holds any better.
Old 05-23-2010
SOEC Member

I pulled both sides off and reattached them with some 3M VHB tape, sticks awesome. It is the same tape that Saleen uses. I also heated up the areas with a heat gun to form it to the body. The tape would heat up and stick like cement. I held the area in place until it cooled. No gaps so far.
Old 05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedsaleen View Post
I pulled both sides off and reattached them with some 3M VHB tape, sticks awesome. It is the same tape that Saleen uses. I also heated up the areas with a heat gun to form it to the body. The tape would heat up and stick like cement. I held the area in place until it cooled. No gaps so far.
Is the 3M grey trim tape avail at autozone,etc the VHB tape?

Also what did you use the heat gun for?
Old 05-25-2010
Suspended Account

Quote:

Nope, the grey tape is different. I bought my VHB on ebay.
Old 05-26-2010

Quote:

The heat gun is used to warm up the side skirt and soften it up a little bit so it can be molded to the shape of the body.
Old 05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang281 View Post
The heat gun is used to warm up the side skirt and soften it up a little bit so it can be molded to the shape of the body.
I didnt know that the side skirt would soften up enough to mold it to the body. Thats great if it will mold a bit because the fit is terrible right now. I'm excited to get these put on correctly, they have been annoying me for a while now.
Old 05-26-2010

IF you don't have a heat gun just let them sit outside in the sun for a few hours on a hot day. The skirts could still peel off in the future due the the nature of the polyurethane but heating them up will help to get a good fit when installing them. The side scoops come flat as a board from saleen so you have to heat them up just to get them mounted so that shows how much they can be worked. I used the black 3m tape on my rear wing and after a couple years it's starting to come off by the heyhole so it's tough to get a lifetime bond on these parts
Old 05-26-2010
Suspended Account

I also used a dremel on my sideskirts to improve the fit. The inside corners needed material removed.
Old 05-26-2010
SOEC Member

I would use the 3M VHB tape to attach them to the body. It is clear and it lasts along time. You can get it from 3M directly or eBay. It is hard to find anywhere else atleast here it is. I bought a roll for about $45.00 but it is enough to do the car 6 time over. I use it on other things also. Great for attaching things to glass also as long as you don't get finger prints in it.

Like Dave said also you can use window adhesive but that is just messy.
Old 05-26-2010

a LOT of good info, thanks guys!