The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-01-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Saleen owner looking for advice

Hi,
I am new to the Forum. I just purchased car #1 of the H281 model. I still have not picked up the car yet it is in NC. I want to send it directly to Speedlab in Troy to have it converted to 475hp. Can you guys give me some input on this decission? I can have the work done locally cheaper, but I think it would be cool to have Saleen upgrade the car before delivery ( I might help with value , down the line?). I was suprised the car was still avalible considering it was car #1. The only thing that I can think is that it was only 330hp, what do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Buy the lower priced blower
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
521 Charcot Ave Suite #199
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H281#1 View Post
Hi,
I am new to the Forum. I just purchased car #1 of the H281 model. I still have not picked up the car yet it is in NC. I want to send it directly to Speedlab in Troy to have it converted to 475hp. Can you guys give me some input on this decission? I can have the work done locally cheaper, but I think it would be cool to have Saleen upgrade the car before delivery ( I might help with value , down the line?). I was suprised the car was still avalible considering it was car #1. The only thing that I can think is that it was only 330hp, what do you guys think?
First, welcome to the Saleen Forums @ SOEC!

I think I can recall seeing 07-0001 H281 on that auction site known as Ebay. Dealer listing. Neat car!

I don't know if low serial number make a car worth more, but its neat to have. The single digits and double digits are a novelty. Same goes for stuff like 123, 321, 666, 777, 100, etc etc.

I also don't know if 07-0001 H281 was a white preproduction H car that became serialized or a fresh, white, GT coupe.

Having the work completed at Saleen Inc should give you Saleen logo receipts to add to the documentation of #01. In addition to the install being completed by folks who do these everyday and maybe a warranty (I don't remember much about the warranty, seems someone most always says something different).

The 2007 H281s were not a barnburner or maybe they were in shadow of the leftover PJs. I thought they were a neat car. You figure they didn't carry the plastic and heavy 20s like the base S281. Less of a boulevard cruiser more of a purposeful, performance car. Since they didn't produce the expected amount, in addition to few people taking notice, and dealers discounting them... these will probably be a neat car to keep mint... since they'll probably be a "what ever happened to" Saleen Vehicle. Like the Ranger SporTrucks.
Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPSMak View Post
Buy the lower priced blower
Like Mike said... Sometimes it doesn't matter.

It you're going to own this for 20-30 years, maybe visit Troy... take some photos, make an event out of it and self-document.

If it's going to be a 5-year relationship... have fun and don't think about the future.

Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

H281#1,

Welcome to the Saleen Forums at SOEC!

If you need anything other than advice, I'm your man.

Though I will say it's really up to you. I don't think I'd expect to recoup my investment on shipping it to Troy, but it's really what makes you feel good about a project that matters. If you could take a little tour there while they finish up and you could test drive it and whatnot, that would be pretty cool.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 07-01-2008

Thanks for the input guys. How can I tell if it is a preproduction car ? I assumed that it was the first H car made. I was told that it was the car that was in all of the press photos and an the shows, around the country.
Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. How can I tell if it is a preproduction car ? I assumed that it was the first H car made. I was told that it was the car that was in all of the press photos and an the shows, around the country.
We have photos of the preproduction VIN number.

Saleen builds and numbers cars however they feel, or use to.

The preproduction car didn't have bumper numbers or firewall tag in the original photos.
Old 07-01-2008

My vin # is 1ZVFT82H775264958 if that helps.
If you guys can direct me to any pictures or info with the H car . I would love to see all of the press. I see an article with a picture on the cover somewherein here, but I can't find it now. i am not to good on the computer. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

Quote:
My vin # is 1ZVFT82H775264958 if that helps.
If you guys can direct me to any pictures or info with the H car . I would love to see all of the press. I see an article with a picture on the cover somewherein here, but I can't find it now. i am not to good on the computer. Thanks for the input.
I'll try and look in the SOEC photo archives over the next few days to find the VIN photos.

The Autumn 2007 issue of the Saleen Alley did a feature on the H281. Since this is one of mine, shoot me your address via PM and I'll print a hi-res copy of the cover and story for your files.

Visit here to see the digital issue:
http://soec.org/saleenalley/archives/
Old 07-01-2008
SOEC Member

I almost bought that car before deciding on my PJ. Saleen, Inc was willing to provide a letter at that time that the car was used in the magazine articles and was an executive at Saleen car for several months.

I'll pm you some more info.
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'll try and look in the SOEC photo archives over the next few days to find the VIN photos.

The Autumn 2007 issue of the Saleen Alley did a feature on the H281. Since this is one of mine, shoot me your address via PM and I'll print a hi-res copy of the cover and story for your files.

Visit here to see the digital issue:
http://soec.org/saleenalley/archives/
Thanks, i just checked out the article. can I buy that issue somewhere?
Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, i just checked out the article. can I buy that issue somewhere?
Good question. Stay tuned!
Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

I found the original photos I took at an event they call Cars & Coffee which is held at Ford/Mazda complex in Irvine.

Mitchell Gadd of Saleen (now retired) had brought the car out on its first appearance in the West. This was Saturday, May 19, 2007.

Funny thing is, when I showed Dave the pic of the VIN, he asked me why I took it.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-01-2008
Administrator

Looks like a number match!

(p.s. Start watermarking the photos.)
Old 07-02-2008

WOW, you guys are really on top of things! Is there anywhere that i can look to start loading up on articles and pictures of the car?
Thanks again Pat
Old 07-02-2008
Administrator

Quote:
WOW, you guys are really on top of things! Is there anywhere that i can look to start loading up on articles and pictures of the car?
Thanks again Pat
I agree. We are.

For Saleen articles, hit Greg Wackett at the Saleen Locator Service. Not only does he have an extensive media library, but a terribly nice guy. His input helps to drive the media archives on this website. (He's known as SaleenLocator on this forum.)

Offhand, I'm not sure how much media converage the 2007 H received in print. For the internet, we at the SOEC had the first media look at the images, so those got a nice amount of use with the various web based publications when we posted them.
Old 07-02-2008
SOEC Member

Here are some sites I had bookmarked when researching that car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui8avrxwlY8

http://www.stangnet.com/Ford-Mustang...ng-070502.html

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php...ustang-coming/

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php...ustang-coming/

http://www.grabberorange.net/forums/...pic.php?t=1462

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/galler...s&c=298&page=2

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/s.../2007_00041_03
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-02-2008
SOEC Member

I had my H281 upgraded with the 475hp SC but was not happy with rev limit and torque range. I went the next step and had Troy upgrade the motor to H302SC specifications; stroked to 302 (which the Heritage is resemblant of; the '69 Boss 302). I can't tell you how happy I am with 520RWHP which was tuned by JDM. Troy would have tuned me further but wanted the car upgraded to the 6 speed Tremec transmission. I also added Watts-link; front brakes; H302SC hood and Rockford Fossgate sound. It looks great, performs phenominal, and is all documented with Saleen paperwork. If you do have the motor modified have Saleen paint the valve covers to match your exterior paint like I did. It does not cost much and adds extreme appeal to the engine compartment. If you are looking to keep collector value in the car with the 01 number (mine is 22) I would not touch anything and keep it all original. I would however put flowmaster pipes on and have the dual chrome tips welded-on as only one is functional from the factory. I bought a spare set in the event I need to replace the mufflers in the future.
Old 07-02-2008

I am on the fence on sending it outto Sallen Speedlab . It is scheduled to get shipped on Monday. How did you like it stock? I have not driven any Saleen's 05 and up. I am a horsepower nut and do love the speed, but I do not want to ruin the cars originality. That is why i figured on Speedlab working on it. I'm just unsure of leaving it stock or going for it.
Old 07-02-2008
SOEC Member

You might want to contact a member that goes by user name "BLIP" on here and on the GO Forum. He did much the same you want to do. You can PM him here looking up the username "BLIP".

Here is a link to him on that forum and the process of ordering his car customized at Saleen Troy.
http://www.grabberorange.net/forums/...er=asc&start=0
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-02-2008
SOEC Member

This is his getting the S/C.

I think this is your car:

The finished product:

He had the crew that worked on it sigh the truck:
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-03-2008
SOEC Member

One other thing you might consider if you are sending the car out to Troy for the 475SC mod is the new functional shaker hood scoop for the SC which really sets off the retro look (same as what you would see on the Parnelli Jones but for the SC). I would have chosen that over the H302SC hood if it were available at the time.
Old 07-03-2008
Administrator

One thing Dave pointed out to me is that at some point they put S A L E E N lettering across the back of the deck lid, possibly borrowed from the S7 parts bin-- if you look at some of those photos. I am only assuming that's the same car, however.

That photo is from some press photos located here: http://soec.org/news/2007/announcements/

I would imaging that at some point it was decided "too much."

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-06-2008

Default Car arrived

Just wanted to let you guys know that the car has arrived and I am really into it. I decided to take delivery before mods. I thought I was getting ahead of myself and frankly did not want to make a mistake. This is the first new style Mustang I have driven. ( not even a GT). So I just needed to get the thing here!

I do love the look of this H Model , I am an old car guy, I have owned a 69 R code 428SCJ Mach years ago( that was also White), and a 69 Shelby GT 350 4 speed . And My first Saleen was an 89 in white #24. So I am partial to white.
I was not even in the Market when I found #1 for sale. Probably an impulse buy, But I am amazed that it was out there and I feel Lucky to own it.
Thanks for all of ther Info and I will keep the board up to date on mods if any.
Again If anybody has any pictures or press on My car Please let me know. I will be happy to purchase anything that will help me documnet this Saleen.
Old 07-06-2008
SOEC Member

How about one of the "older brother"?

1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
How about one of the "older brother"?

That rocks!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-07-2008
SOEC Member

Looking at the pic and that you previously ownded a '69 428SCJ (I have a friend with a black one) is why I would opt for the new shaker config for the SC if you go that route. I would recommend having Speed Lab do the work as they will check the tune on the dyno (if you are lucky JDM will be there and can do the work). Great car...
Old 07-07-2008

I just realized that JDM is local to me. I am in PA. They are local racers at one on my tracks.
Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the car has arrived and I am really into it.
Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Again If anybody has any pictures or press on My car Please let me know. I will be happy to purchase anything that will help me documnet this Saleen.
I'd like to welcome the first SOEC/ Saleen Alley poster into the world.

Will there be a line of original SOEC posters and wall art in the future???

A prototype car, kicks off a prototype idea... cool!

Last edited by Dave; 10-11-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2008
SOEC Member

Very Cool! When will the second one come out? A PJ (hint)?
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-10-2008
Administrator

Quote:
The above is more of a surprise for Patrick, if he wants it. A one-of-one. There are normal prints of the article ready to go out for him to store with the H car.

Jim and I have talked about doing limited run poster prints, here and there over the years, but different stuff distracts us away from looking into it.

If anything... after my viewing of the above... there might be a run of Saleen Alley posters for use as display items at events. So, a series of one-of-ones. They might be large enough that people won't walk off with 'em either.

I'm thinking out loud, but maybe we can also do a poster print as a gift for the folks who submit their vehicles as feature stores in Saleen Alley.

The PJ art used in the Saleen Alley from X years ago is pretty special to me. About 14+ months ago I worked on blowing up the cover art for a large personal print, but did nothing with it.

I believe the Saleen Alley and PJ brochure giveaway we had was kinda’ popular. Maybe people would buy a poster, if offered.

Anyway... 2007 H281 #01. Neat car!
Old 07-11-2008

Looks Great! Now I just need Steve saleen to sign it!
Old 07-11-2008
SOEC Member

OK how do I get my hands on one? How about a H302SC poster? My original H281 looks identical to the H302SC press car with the mods Troy performed...
Old 07-11-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMcQueen View Post
OK how do I get my hands on one?
Good question. Send me a PM or email.

Quote:
How about a H302SC poster? My original H281 looks identical to the H302SC press car with the mods Troy performed...
Probably will look into doing a limited run of something. At the moment... not 100% sure what the vehicle will be.
Old 07-11-2008
Administrator

Quote:
How about a H302SC poster?
How about it?

Last edited by Dave; 10-11-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2008
SOEC Member

Thanks Dave...Greatly Appreciated!
Old 07-14-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Dave...Greatly Appreciated!
No problem, I was just playing around. Probably going to go off-topic.

But yeah... when your vehicle story runs in the Saleen Alley, we'll look into making a print of the article for you.

And... Pat's poster is in the mail! Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Done.
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?p=9037