The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Or as Parnelli likes to call them, for "the Parnelli Jones/Saleen Limited Edition."

Old 11-02-2019
Saleen Forums Participant

Question Q's: S302 PJ maintenance? - New owner with #501

Hello Forum,
I just purchased this car from the second owner and it now has a little less than 1400 miles on it. It has led a 'cushy' life and, from I can tell, is all original except for a couple of oil changes.

While I've never had a special car like this I am a stickler for upkeep on my daily driver vehicles and am I'm looking for some advice about maintenance items that I should be considering to keep the PJ in top shape. Some questions:
1. Pirelli PZero tires. The tires have date codes from 2003 (one tire) and 2007 (the other three). While these tires look new, I'm concerned about their age, especially since the donut spare in the trunk won't work and the inflation kit expired in 2011. Should I be considering new tires? Also, I note that the rear tires are 285/40 ZR19 size while the Saleen label on the driver's door indicates that they should be 275/40 ZR19's. Thoughts?

2. Battery. It seems to be OK but, again, it's over 12 years old. If it should be replaced, does the group recommend the Motorcraft brand to keep the car more original.

3. Lug nut wrench in trunk. Will this wrench work on the PJ lugnuts? No locking nuts?

4. Fluid changes: Should I consider having the coolant and brake system flushed and refilled with fresh fluids? What about transmission and differential? Any other fluid changes suggested?

5. Any other maintenance that should be considered?

I'm not looking for needless expense but do want to keep the car in excellent mechanical as well as cosmetic shape and ready to be used reliably.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Richard
Old 11-02-2019
Administrator

Hi Richard,

1: The original tires for the 2007 S302 PJ are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. The "Rosso" version is out-of-production. I believe these were an OEM Jaguar tire. OE sizes were 275/35-19" (front) and 275/40-19" (rear). Since your PJ #501 had a few unique features from Saleen, it may have had the larger rear tires. I do not know, speculation. If you replace the tires, save the originals for collectability.

2: I replaced my battery three years ago (or so) with the modern replace Motorcraft unit. If you plan to do Mustang Club of America judged shows in the future or want to keep originality... save the original Motorcraft battery from vehicle.

3: Your S302 PJ came equipped with two lug wrenches. One, the OE Ford Mustang wrench that is useless with Saleen wheels. Two, the Saleen provided Gorilla wrench and socket will function.

4: My thoughts are "yes," flush the fluids. I did my coolant a few years ago and planning to do the transmission and differential lubricants next summer. From memory, I do not recall if brake fluid was changed when the antifreeze was flushed.

5: Fresh antifreeze.

DB
Old 11-03-2019
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

+1 on flushing the fluids.

Use Castrol SRF brake fluid... Best wet and dry boiling points of any other fluid. I was using Motul RBF 660 and the Castrol stuff is way better.

Use Redline MTL in the Transmission... Is will make it quiet and silky smooth. Redline MTL is a recognized replacement for the GM Synchromesh fluid that normally goes in Tremec transmissions.

Redline 75W-140 in the differential is also a good choice.. If your car has the Torsen diff, you want the fluid WITHOUT friction modifier.

I Iike Amsoil for the engine... 5W-50 is what I run, but any synthetic 5W-30 should be fine (Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple, Redline, etc...) . For the S302's I believe Saleen even recommended 10W-40.

Definitely should replace the battery.. Surprised yours still works. A new Motorcraft one should be about $120 and it will look identical, and fit exactly.

If you have leather interior get some good leather care cream from Adam's Polishes or Griot's.

The Pirelli Rosso's are junk tires, especially at that age. They are hard as rocks and handle like you're on ice. I fully recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sports... Or Michelin Sport Cup 2's

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019
SOEC Member

Castrol SRF seems to have disappeared at least from the US market. Motul and a new Brembo fluid have the highest wet boil at this point.

This chart is handy, but the Brembo fluid is not on here:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=BRAKEFLUID

For sure change coolant, and bleed the brakes, and clutch if applicable (I cant remember).

As Dave mentioned, SAVE the OEM battery. I know someone that spent $1000 for an original foxbody battery. Its a 6 point MCA deduction. You might not care, but next owner (if applicable) might. Same for tires, date codes matter.
Old 11-03-2019

Thanks for the responses. They're very helpful. One question for Dave, though. Can you provide more detail about the 'Saleen provided Gorilla wrench and socket'? I've only seen the wrench in a cloth bag in the spare tire well. I believe that wrench is the Ford wrench supplied along with the donut spare tire.

Is there any reason to leave the donut tire in the trunk other than it probably provides some support for the floor of the trunk?

Thanks again,
Richard
Old 11-03-2019
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Left is the Saleen provided "gorilla wrench" with thin wall 13/16" socket. The black colored wrench is the Ford supplied one that goes in the cloth pouch. The Ford one won't fit inside the lug nut holes in the wheel... Hence the thin wall socket.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2019

Thanks to all who have replied. I ordered from Amazon the Gorilla p/n 1334 wrench kit and received it today. It fits the lug nuts like a glove. The only maintenance item I'll do before winter storage is an oil and filter change.

I'll refer to these posts next season for guidance on updating the other items discussed.
Thanks again,
Richard
Old 11-09-2019
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hi Richard,

1: The original tires for the 2007 S302 PJ are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. The "Rosso" version is out-of-production. I believe these were an OEM Jaguar tire. OE sizes were 275/35-19" (front) and 275/40-19" (rear). Since your PJ #501 had a few unique features from Saleen, it may have had the larger rear tires. I do not know, speculation. If you replace the tires, save the originals for collectability.

DB
Dave, There must have been a shortage of 275/40-19 tires throughout the built, cause my PJ still has the original 285/40-19 Pirelli rear tires on the car.
1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car
1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Go-kart
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #161 of 500 (the only automatic PJ)
Old 11-09-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-Twister View Post
Dave, There must have been a shortage of 275/40-19 tires throughout the built, cause my PJ still has the original 285/40-19 Pirelli rear tires on the car.
Could be. There was also speculation some of these S302 PJ Editions have a mis-matched rear tire from Saleen. I forget what the speculation was, but some found cars with a right rear (or it might have been a left rear) that was constantly a "different" P-Zero from the other three (3) tires on the car.

The theory being one of the rear tires might have been out-of-stock or in shortage for a handful of vehicles, so there was a tire substitution made to finish and deliver these vehicles.

If you go back and look at some of the various PJ production line photos from Irvine, at some point there was also a 19" wheel shortage. You will see a supply of finished PJ Editions sitting on mismatched 20" S281 wagon wheels (to fit over the 14" brake front package) and stock 17" Mustang GT wheels waiting for their 19" wheels to arrive.
Old 11-09-2019

Hi Ronald (Dutch-Twister),

I'm curious what's the number of your PJ and what the actual date codes are on your Pirelli rear tires.

On my #501 PJ, the rear driver side tire has a date code of 3007 which lines up with the Saleen date code for the car. The rear passenger side tire has a date code of 5003. Thus the tire was well over 3 years old when mounted on the car.

Richard
Old 11-10-2019
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPittenger View Post
Hi Ronald (Dutch-Twister),

I'm curious what's the number of your PJ and what the actual date codes are on your Pirelli rear tires.

On my #501 PJ, the rear driver side tire has a date code of 3007 which lines up with the Saleen date code for the car. The rear passenger side tire has a date code of 5003. Thus the tire was well over 3 years old when mounted on the car.

Richard
I will have a look later today, and let you know.

@ Dave: I also don't understand why Saleen would put the same width tire on the rear, as the rims are 1 inch wider.
Old 11-10-2019
SOEC Member

I stand corrected:
The original rear tires on PJ #161 = P-Zero Rosso 275x40/19
date code: LR = 4605 / RR = 2706
Both tires tread is running low, so I need replacing them next year.
I still have a rear set lying around that I bought from Speedlab.
I replaced the fronts last year
Old 11-10-2019
SOEC Member

Richard
Do you know when you PJ was built ?
You can order a Deluxe Marti Report https://www.martiauto.com/itemselect...lecteditem=yes
Old 11-13-2019

Hi Ronald,
Did you receive my response to your question? I posted a response but it appears that it didn't make it onto the forum.

In short, I believe that PJ 501 was completed toward the end of April, 2007. The Carfax indicates, though, that it wasn't sold and registered in California until late summer, 2007.

Hope this helps,
Richard