The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-28-2023
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default How difficult to get parts?

Hey everyone

Looking at buying my first Saleen after having a long line of mustangs. My question is, if something breaks on this 2001 SC I’m looking at, how hard is it to get parts to fix it since not many were made? I’m sure if a normal Ford part broke it wouldn’t be that hard to get ahold of but if a Saleen specific part breaks is it a pain to get things fixed? This is probably the only holding me back from pulling the trigger. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-28-2023
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Hundo View Post
Hey everyone

Looking at buying my first Saleen after having a long line of mustangs. My question is, if something breaks on this 2001 SC I’m looking at, how hard is it to get parts to fix it since not many were made? I’m sure if a normal Ford part broke it wouldn’t be that hard to get ahold of but if a Saleen specific part breaks is it a pain to get things fixed? This is probably the only holding me back from pulling the trigger. Thanks for the help!
Unless Saleen still makes the part, it will be very difficult to find body parts.

The other option is to get on Saleen websites like this and others to ask if someone has a part that you need as there are owners who buy parts when available to resell.

But even with parts being hard to find, I would still make the purchase as these cars are rare and special.
Old 07-05-2023
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Maintenance

Let me start by saying that every car has good days and bad days. The objective is to keep your car maintained so that you have more fun days than not so fun days. But, this is true with any car. I am very familiar with the SN platform so I have come accustomed to looking out for things and fixing things when they come up. Second, most of the parts that will keep your Saleen moving are not "saleen" parts like brake pads, suspension equipment bushings etc, filters and so on. With the SC, general maintenance might be a little tougher to get to spark plugs coil packs, gaskets vacuum lines. Simply put, a Saleen can still be maintained just like any other mustang. That is the beauty of these cars and main selling point at the time. Now if you want a Saleen that is more user friendly where you don't have to troubleshoot dash pod gauges or SC coolant res leaks etc or anything relating to an SC or getting around an SC for maintenance, then consider getting an N/A car which are basically GT cars with a tune, aero and suspension upgrades which make maintenance virtually identical to a GT. Now if you are trying to replace body kit parts or wheels they are out there especially as more cars grow older and are given less and less love. If you go S281SC, then make sure it is idling nice and have a mechanic go over it, but definitely nothing to be afraid of as long as the owner has loved the car and invested in maintenance and has records or receipts.

Hopefully this helps and you are able to find the Saleen that works for your taste, budget, and goals.