The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-13-2011
Saleen Forums Registrant

Talking Seeking Information: 91-0040

I recently came across 91-0040, and I'd like to get some information about it if possible. I have emailed Saleen, but haven't heard back from them yet. Do the under hood serial number plates have full VINs on them, or just the last 6 digits? I haven't seen many, but this one has the entire VIN stamped into it, which I haven't seen. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Skyler
Old 07-13-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Yes, the 91's (and very late 90's) built at C&C in St Louis have the full 17-digit VIN stamped in the underhood plate.

IIRC, 91-0040 is in the PNW area, and is a black car with a Salvage Title?

Some also have the full date (MM-DD-YY) stamped in them, while some are MM-YY only...

#86-145 - Red
#91-039 - Red
Sold
#00-493 - White Sold

Last edited by S281SC; 07-13-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-13-2011
Inactive Account

Call the guys 1 800 888 8945, they come both ways, depending on the year this is all documented in a book Mark and I are working on. No release date I have been to busy to finish my part.
Old 07-13-2011
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you both, for the responses! I got a response to my email this morning as well, which also verified this car as a genuine Saleen. It was in Oregon, but it's now in Washington State. It was black, but now it's in red primer. It's very rough, but it's almost all there. I haven't decided if I'm going to bring it back to stock, or do something a little different. Right now, it looks terrible and runs terrible, but it still handles incredible. I've had several Cobras, but this is my first Saleen, and I couldn't be more excited. I've wanted one for a long time, and I couldn't let this one die. I'll probably have a lot more questions along the way, but I promise that I know how to use the search button. That promise will probably come back to bite me one day.

Old 07-13-2011

Good to hear that 91-0040 is coming back to life. Let us know if there's anything we can help with, Search is nice, but don't be afraid to ask questions... I'll send you a PM with my email and a bunch of pictures...

Here is my 91-0039:

#86-145 - Red
#91-039 - Red
Sold
#00-493 - White Sold
Old 07-17-2011
Administrator

Welcome to the Saleen Forums @ SOEC.org Skyler!

From the Saleen Registry...

91-0040
Ford VIN: 008
Body Code: P41
Ship Date: 03/01/91
State: CA
Comments/Options: 3.55:1 gears, CD player

From the old Redeker book...

1991:
27 Black Saleen hatchbacks
4 with Titanium interior

Enjoy your new purchase!
Old 07-18-2011
Saleen Forums Registrant

I sure will. I've wanted a Fox Saleen for so long. I'm so excited to get started on this. Thank you very much for the info, Dave

Was titanium interior different than gray? If not, what color interior was more common than gray?

I've got a whole lot of work to do to this car. Besides this site, what are going to be my best sources for information and (hopefully OE) parts?
Old 07-18-2011

According to Redeker:
The most common interior color for black hatches in 91 was .... Black, with 10 built.

There were actually 27 total Black 91's built - 15 hatches, 11 'vert, 1 notch.
Of the 15 Black hatches, 10 black interiors, 4 titanium, and 1 blue/titanium...
#86-145 - Red
#91-039 - Red
Sold
#00-493 - White Sold