The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-14-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Looking for an equipment list? - 2001 S281 SC

So here's my deal. I'm looking for a complete brake down of what came on a 2001 S281 SC. I own 01-0547 and I'm looking to do a few upgrades. But I want to know what I have first. Is there a good place to look. Or am I up the creek on this one.
Old 02-14-2016
Administrator

We have a collection of spec sheets and brochures:

http://soec.org/literature/specsheets/mustang/
Old 02-15-2016

This is cool, But i need to know what parts and in the engine are they forged or not. that kind of thing.
Old 02-15-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleBower83 View Post
This is cool, But i need to know what parts and in the engine are they forged or not. that kind of thing.
The S281 Supercharged has a stock Ford short block. Not a Saleen spec forged rotating assembly. The Extreme model does.
Old 02-15-2016

Last question you've been very helpful thank you. Where is a good place to find replacement parts. For instance my MAF sensor is going bad. And i have been having trouble finding a replacement. I got a BBK sensor but it doesn't want to work. when i plug it in. the engine runs like there's no sensor connected. I looked on Shop saleen but i couldn't find anything.
Old 02-15-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Last question you've been very helpful thank you. Where is a good place to find replacement parts. For instance my MAF sensor is going bad. And i have been having trouble finding a replacement. I got a BBK sensor but it doesn't want to work. when i plug it in. the engine runs like there's no sensor connected. I looked on Shop saleen but i couldn't find anything.
Try this:
https://www.fordparts.com/
Old 02-15-2016

They are just like the auto parts store there isn't a section for 2001 saleen mustang. If i put the VIN in there selector it will bring up parts for GT not what I need.
Old 02-16-2016
Administrator

Quote:
They are just like the auto parts store there isn't a section for 2001 saleen mustang. If i put the VIN in there selector it will bring up parts for GT not what I need.
Most of your car is Ford Mustang GT. Look for a Part # on your original MAF. More than likely a stock Ford part retained during Saleen conversion.
Old 02-17-2016

It's not. A stock GT didn't have 30lb fuel injectors.
Old 02-18-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
It's not. A stock GT didn't have 30lb fuel injectors.
Stock injectors on 4.6L GT's were 19 lb. 4V 4.6L Cobras were 24lb.. You probably have a stock GT MAF sensor that has just been re-calibrated for 30lb. injectors with the Saleen factory tune. Most of us with Saleen superchargers are now running at least 42lb injectors with bigger fuel pumps like the Ford Gt dual type or the 255 LPG Focus SVT pumps and larger MAF housings still with the stock MAF sensor. You'll a new tune again if you make these upgrades. 30 lb injectors and stock fuel pump run right on the edge of leaning out at wide open throttle.

99-126 "Saleena"
Old 02-18-2016

So I need to have the car tuned with the new sensor on the car. Is that what your saying?
Old 02-19-2016
SOEC Member

Have you tried cleaning the the sensor tip? They sometimes get coated with oil and become less responsive. Or is it a completely new sensor? If its new, it should be already calibrated for a specific lb. injector...can usually tell by the part number.

99-126 "Saleena"
Old 02-19-2016

Yes I have cleared it a few times
Old 02-19-2016
SOEC Member

So its an old one? If you need to replace you can buy pre-calibrated MAFs for your size injector. Pro-M and BBK both sell them pre-calibrated. If you're going to replace or go to bigger injectors or fuel pump, then yes you will need a retune.

99-126 "Saleena"
Old 02-21-2016

The MAF part number should be "AFH90-02" it's a 90mm.
Old 02-22-2016

That's crazy cuase I got a pre-cal from BBK. But it doesn't work. As soon I plug it in. The engine runs like ****. I won't even start after awhile. And idling in out of the question. It almost runs like one is not even plugged in.
Old 02-25-2016

Sounds like a gasket mine did the same thing last year
Old 02-26-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
That's crazy cuase I got a pre-cal from BBK. But it doesn't work. As soon I plug it in. The engine runs like ****. I won't even start after awhile. And idling in out of the question. It almost runs like one is not even plugged in.
Definitely sounds like you have a gasket problem or AIC problem. Once a had a leak in the cold air intake and caused really rough idle and stalling. You should have had no problem with a precalibrated MAF along as you have the correct sized injectors it was calibrated for and no leaks in system.

99-126 "Saleena"
Old 02-26-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
That's crazy cuase I got a pre-cal from BBK. But it doesn't work.
By "pre-cal", I'm assuming you mean pre-calibrated? Calibrated to what?

A stock 4.6 2V came from Ford with 19lb injectors. On the S/C cars, Saleen changed the injectors to 30lb but kept the stock MAF (which would be calibrated to 19lb injectors). I can't prove it but I don't believe Saleen re-calibrated the MAF, I believe they compensated for it in when they reflashed the PCM with their custom tune. I know they had all kinds of trouble when I had to have the PCM replaced on my 99 the first time, it would not run with a stock PCM and the 30lb injectors. When it was replaced the 2nd time, they also upped the injectors to 40's, changed the MAF to a lightning unit and installed a new SCT chip and tuner combo. Amazing what happens when someone who knows what they are doing puts the right combination of parts and tune together....

Have you tried using a stock MAF to see if the car will run with it? A stock MAF should be pretty easy to find cheap...
Old 02-27-2016

Your right about the MAF. I think I have figured out what's going on. The car has sat. For a long time. And is really only been on the road sense I got the car. I need to finish doing some basic things. Then I'm going to have it reset again. And see what happens. On another note is it normal for a 2001 saleen to not have cat converters?
Old 03-02-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
Your right about the MAF. I think I have figured out what's going on. The car has sat. For a long time. And is really only been on the road sense I got the car. I need to finish doing some basic things. Then I'm going to have it reset again. And see what happens. On another note is it normal for a 2001 saleen to not have cat converters?
No it's not normal to be missing cats.

Sounds like your car may have been modified. If you post some pictures of the engine bay we can tell you if things in the bay are aftermarket or not.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 03-02-2016

I already know it has been. I look under it the other day. And it doesn't have any catalytic converters. They are gone. It straight pipes to the x pipe.
Old 03-02-2016

What should I look at for replacing them?
Old 03-03-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
What should I look at for replacing them?
I Have BBK hi-flow cats with an X-pipe on Saleena. Much smaller and less restrictive, plus they passed Jersey inspection too!

99-126 "Saleena"
Old 03-03-2016

I'll check that out