The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 04-01-2013
SOEC Member

Default Q: Anyone using a machine buffer/polisher?

With car show season coming up, it's time to get the Saleen detailed. My car is a 2006 and I am the 2nd owner. The first owner apparently didn't baby the car like I do and you can see little scratches everywhere when looking at the paint in the sun. Has anyone used a machine polisher? If so, which one and which product. I am partial to Adam's polishes, I have a lot of their products.

Mid-South Mustang Club
Old 04-05-2013
Administrator

Machine polishing with a random-orbital is safe and is the way to go to remove defects.

Porter-Cable 7424 (or equivalent model -- they have a few) or a Flex or Rupes -- pick your weapon.

Get an assortment of Lake Country pads for cutting, polishing and finessing, and some Mothers Professional Rubbing Compound and Finishing Polish and your favorite wax, and you'll have a great shine.

Let me know if you want to try our pro stuff.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 04-05-2013
SOEC Member

I use Griots buffer, speed 4 with Meguiars 105 then 205 finish with Griots best of show. Polish as the wind flows front to back clean with 50/50 Alcohol/distilled water between coats. If your doing it right hood should take about 1.5 hrs. It's a big job, but as you can see results are stunning!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 04-05-2013
SOEC Member

I love some of adams polishes stuff! Especially the VRT and in-and-out spray! They are two of my "go-too's" in my detailing arsenal. Highly recommend all Saleen owners to try the VRT and in-and-out because of all the black plastic stuff on our cars.

When I was first looking for a polisher I was looking at a Porter (personally, best bang for your buck), the Meguiars (a friend has one), and a Flex 3401. Throughout all my research I kept coming back to the Flex 3401 so that's the one I bought. If you have the money right now for a Porter just save a little extra and buy the Flex. It will be the last and only buffer you will ever buy.

As for compounds and polishes, I've always used Meguiars 105/205. You can also take it a step farther with Menzerna PO85RD ultimate finish polish. Than I'd top it off with one of the good nano sealants that are out. I have been a fan of Wolfgang deep gloss sealant but I think the new nano sealants that are out are better at scratch resistance and longevity. You could try CarPro Cquartz or the Optimum Opti-Seal (new personal favorite). Also, after the sealant has cured you can even top it with a nice carnauba like Wolfgang Fuzion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisj View Post
Polish as the wind flows front to back clean with 50/50 Alcohol/distilled water between coats.
Great advice! The alcohol removes all the oils.

Old 04-11-2013
SOEC Member

Wow! Car looks awesome davisj! Thanks for the info. I ordered a Griot's Random Orbital polisher with Lake Country pads. I hope I don't regret going with the cheaper Griots 6 inch vs Flex XC 3401. Wish me luck!!

Mid-South Mustang Club
Old 04-11-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenStang View Post
Wow! Car looks awesome davisj! Thanks for the info. I ordered a Griot's Random Orbital polisher with Lake Country pads. I hope I don't regret going with the cheaper Griots 6 inch vs Flex XC 3401. Wish me luck!!
Go to YouTube and start taking mental notes. It's really not hard as long as you are willing to take the time to do it. Some of the advice some provide will get you going in the right direction. Some tips of my own would be to always keep the buffer moving and do a little of the car at a time. Keeping the buffer moving will stop the build up of heat on the paint. When you focus on one section (such as a fender, bumper, half your hood, etc.) at one time it helps getting the paint correct in that particular spot. Also, don't let your compounds/polishes sit, always remove right after you are done.

Old 04-12-2013
Administrator

We have some nice new videos on YouTube for our Professional Rubbing Compound and Professional Finishing Polish...

Send me an email with your name, address, phone and forum handle if you want samples -- first 5 get free stuff.

These are hands-down better than the M105 and M205 -- more effective and easier to use with no dusting.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 04-30-2013
SOEC Member

Jim,
Thank you so much for all the samples, stay tuned for the finished product. Thanks Again!!
Old 05-29-2013
Administrator

How's everyone doing with polishing their Saleens?

Did the videos help?

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-01-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
How's everyone doing with polishing their Saleens?

Did the videos help?

The vids were nice.

About 4 weeks ago i used the new professional series paint restoration system and then followed up with carnuba wax. I really liked the results.

A new favorite of mine is the Leather Tech Moisture Infusion. It doesn't leave the leather greasy or shinny. Just a nice authentic, natrual look.

Thanks again for the samples. I'm hooked.