The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-14-2022
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Cylinder head torque for a Series 2

Aloha, I am the second owner of a 2001 GT that was converted when new by the original owner to a Series 2 with all the proper Saleen equipment. He sold it to me because he couldn't drive anymore and the car had blown a head gasket. I had the heads machined and put the engine back together and torqued the heads to the factory specs. All was well until I opened it up a few times with some good boost and both gaskets blew again. I'm doing something wrong...
So, my question is, are the torque specs different (higher) for the heads when running the supercharger? It would make sense if it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

** the heads are orig. equipment 2001 GT
Old 06-18-2022
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default head gasket

Hello if I am not mistaken you should be fine with the oem torque spec even if you are supercharged as Saleen did not modify the engines on their regular 2v SC cars. And non SC cars just got pulleys. The only engine that got the forged / build treatment would be the Extreme. I would look into your gasket that you used. I'd use OEM Ford. Also some folks use a combination of gasket and gasket maker. Make sure you have a smooth clean surface as well. Make sure gasket is in place when adding the heads as the slightest movement can ruin your seal. Also, the torque tool you are using make sure it is to spec as over-torque can be just as bad. Oh yes try youtube as well. Let us know what you find.
Old 06-26-2022
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the great advice. I used Felpro gaskets but I'll use OEM Ford gaskets this time, it makes sense. I'll post again after I put it back together.