The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-05-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help with Alternator

Car is a 2007 S281 supercharged. Wanted to replace alternator - think I have a diode going bad. Bought a replacement from NAPA, installed it and no charge voltage. Dash says Charging System Malfunction and battery light goes on. Took it back. Bought one from a Ford dealership. Same exact f'ing problem. What the heck gives? Can't be two bad replacement alternators. HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SaleenSC View Post
Car is a 2007 S281 supercharged. Wanted to replace alternator - think I have a diode going bad. Bought a replacement from NAPA, installed it and no charge voltage. Dash says Charging System Malfunction and battery light goes on. Took it back. Bought one from a Ford dealership. Same exact f'ing problem. What the heck gives? Can't be two bad replacement alternators. HELP!!!!!!!!!
Did you try by clearing the codes with a code scanner such as an SCT or Diablosport tuner?

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 03-05-2013

No codes to clear. I think the problem is the pulley. The alternator that came with the Saleen appears to be clutchless. The one from Ford has a clutch. Problem is I don't have the tool to swap pulleys. That's the problem with Saleens. Nothing bloody obvious.
Old 03-05-2013
Account with Invalid Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SaleenSC View Post
No codes to clear. I think the problem is the pulley. The alternator that came with the Saleen appears to be clutchless. The one from Ford has a clutch. Problem is I don't have the tool to swap pulleys. That's the problem with Saleens. Nothing bloody obvious.
Yeah gotta be clutchless
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 03-06-2013
SOEC Member

Clutchless and lifetime warranty:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/130amp...or-0509gt.html
Old 03-06-2013

OK, this seems to be a common problem with our cars. What I have discovered when mine first did it was a broken wire in the small wire that connects to the other wires by the front of the passenger side fuel rail.

Next thing that I have found is that when the connector, that has the three or four small holes for the pins, is disconnected from the top of the alternator somehow the connection can be lost and will throw the battery light on the dash and show that the charging system has a fault. Mine has done this a couple of times and especially after disconnecting the alternator when replacing serpentine belts.

This was driving me crazy also, and I have seen where others have replaced multiple alternators also in the past trying to get the battery light to go out even after clearing the codes.

The best thing to do would be check these simple items first by doing a continuity test on the small wires from the plug end to the wiring harness I have circled in the pic, then making sure that the connection is tight in the top of the alternator and all the pins are making contact as it is not always the alternator itself causing the codes.Recently I had to remove the plug end and adjust the connector plug holes so that they made better contact with the pins. It has not thrown a code since doing this.

See attached pic below-
Attached Thumbnails
alt plug and wire.jpg  

Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray is Grey View Post
Gray is gray, we've used those but we had a few go bad quickly including someone in this forum. They sell it with a pulley that exceeds THEIR own RPM limit. We sent it back for warranty and they claimed it "overspun". We asked them how that was possible since the car had stock diameter pullies and the pulley they put on it. They said, "it must be your tune then". I have this in email from a head guy there!!! Lol. We did the math and sure enough it was spinning 2,000 rpm faster than the limits of their alt. with their pulley. We won't offer them anymore! Oh and they billed us for the repair.

We suggest factory OEM alt, or Tuff Stuff for the win!

Old 03-06-2013
SOEC Member

I think I still have my stock alternator from my 06 saleen when I changed it to a chrome one if your interested in it. Not many miles on the alt thats for sure.
Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS#24Stang View Post
I think I still have my stock alternator from my 06 saleen when I changed it to a chrome one if your interested in it. Not many miles on the alt thats for sure.
How much do you want?

Old 03-06-2013
SOEC Member

Hey Jason make me an offer I don't plan on getting rich selling it and if I can help some one that's great.
Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS#24Stang View Post
Hey Jason make me an offer I don't plan on getting rich selling it and if I can help some one that's great.
I was just more curious then anything. I usually keep parts like that on hand to help someone. Besides, if you put a price, you'll sell it...!

Old 03-06-2013

The alternators in our cars are mounted backwards compared to a stock GT. So when you use a stock alternator with the clutch pulley it free wheels as it is only meant to grab in one direction, the stock direction. You must have a clutchless pulley or you get no juice. Now I have no idea why the stock GT needs a clutch pulley, seems like overkill to me.
Old 03-06-2013

Where do you get the tool to remove the clutch pulley from a Ford alternator? I took the Ford one I bought to a Ford dealer and they didn't even have the tool.
Old 03-07-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
Gray is gray, we've used those but we had a few go bad quickly including someone in this forum. They sell it with a pulley that exceeds THEIR own RPM limit. We sent it back for warranty and they claimed it "overspun". We asked them how that was possible since the car had stock diameter pullies and the pulley they put on it. They said, "it must be your tune then". I have this in email from a head guy there!!! Lol. We did the math and sure enough it was spinning 2,000 rpm faster than the limits of their alt. with their pulley. We won't offer them anymore! Oh and they billed us for the repair.

We suggest factory OEM alt, or Tuff Stuff for the win!
That is good to know. I haven't had any problems with mine and I have been using it for 3 years. Do you know if the offending vehicles were running an overdrive pulley on the crank?

Last edited by Gray is Grey; 03-07-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray is Grey View Post
That is good to know. I haven't had any problems with mine and I have been using it for 3 years. Do you know if the offending vehicles were running an overdrive pulley on the crank?
In my particular case, there is no overdrive pulley on the crank