The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-25-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default 91 Saleen collectability

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have a question about 91 value. I've been looking at adding a fox body Saleen to my mustang collection, and I came across a nice 91 near my house. According to the book 91's were converted by Cars & concepts. Does this affect the desirability as opposed to earlier year Saleens? I see that there were only 99 built that year but does the limited production for that year matter.

Thanks, Andy
Old 11-25-2009
Administrator

Hi and welcome to The Saleen Forums @ SOEC.org!

I think overall, it doesn't matter, it depends on the buyer/owner state-of-mind.

On the whole, I'd rather have a CA produced Saleen. Much like a percentage of the S197s that came out of the Troy facility, a CA car would be a novelty.

Where the late 1990s and 1991s were produced is pretty much a non-thought to most folks and these vehicles still follow to spec Steve Saleen's vision, so it just comes down to the intrinsic value of the car being produced on the west coast.

The low production of the 1991s help, but they are then overshadowed by the 1992s and 1993s. The 1987-1989s are part of the Saleen Autosport heyday. Higher production, but these are what most people remember. Along with the groovy two-tone FloFits.

With the upheaval of Saleen Autosport, Saleen Enterprises and various claims... this era (1991-92) mimics the current drama... so these Mustangs are part of an interesting chapter of Saleen.

Are you looking a a white hatchback, with silver stripes and black interior?
Old 11-25-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Default 91

I think the 91's are the forgotten year.I think they are collectible.91's have a few unique caracteristics and think it is a good year to have IMO
Old 11-25-2009

Thanks for the reply Dave. I agree with the two tone Flo-fit comment, they are cool as are the Momo wheel.

Yes the car I saw is white with dark silver or grey stripes. I haven't heard anything from the seller, but it's Thanksgiving week.

Thanks again for the reply, I think this car might be a good way to get into a Saleen and get educated .

Have a good Thanksgiving,

Andy
Old 11-26-2009
Administrator

As Bryan stated, the 1991s are somewhat forgotten. For one, the 1990/91 dual plane rear wings are a neat feature.

This car you're considering, does it feature a set of silver ROH wheels?
Old 11-26-2009

Yes, that's the one. At this point all I have are the pics in the ad, but it seems nice enough to go take a look at. I just don't want to spend money in this economic climate on something that isn't going to hold it's value. I've seen some 88's and 89's listed around but a lot of them have a lot of miles and are far away.
I guess if it's going to happen it will happen, I'll wait and see.

Andy

Last edited by bigheadbear; 11-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Default 91

Check the doors out.I like this feature that they did where they bend the corners on the back edge to match the ground affects.I can't remember if they bent the front.
Old 11-26-2009
Administrator

K.A.R. Mustang in Ohio had this 1991 Saleen hatchback inventoried a number of years ago. If memory servers correctly, it featured a set of chrome DP-5 wheels that were cracking. K.A.R. Mustang installed the ROH wheels as a replacement.

The vehicle was later on eBay in the NY area. The vehicle was being used as a driver and took a small hit in the front (I believe). Check the front bumper cover, hood, and both fenders for the factory Ford VIN panel tags. I'll try and see if I have a printout of the eBay auction.

This vehicle later appeared at a small dealer in around the NY area.
Old 11-27-2009

Thanks for the info Dave, You have some memory. The seller called me this morning and I'll go take a look at it later. He did mention K.A.R. had done some mods to the car and he had the paperwork. If it took a hit and it was just superficial I wouldn't mind so much but if it was more substantial I'll look elsewhere. I spent the better part last winter with my 67 in pieces and I don't want to repeat that.

Andy
Old 11-28-2009

I think I'll skip this one. It shows nice, the nose was definitely re painted but didn't look like any major damage was done. It's just that I want something bone stock with no mods to the motor, original wheels & stereo etc...

Coupey, I didn't even notice the door edge until you pointed it out. It looks like it belongs like that.

The search goes on.

Thanks , Andy
Old 11-28-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadbear View Post
I think I'll skip this one. It shows nice, the nose was definitely re painted but didn't look like any major damage was done. It's just that I want something bone stock with no mods to the motor, original wheels & stereo etc...
Good to know. No reason to rush into these vehicles. We'll assist you in finding the right Saleen Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadbear View Post
Coupey, I didn't even notice the door edge until you pointed it out. It looks like it belongs like that.
Bryan holds allot of knowledge, great guy too. I believe he just picked up a 1990 or '91 2-door hardtop.