The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-07-2008
Suspended Account

Default Possible Supercharger Pulley/Problem?

As some of you may know, I bought a 99 (#318) S281 about 2-3 months ago.

It was very well maintained, spotless inside and out, all service done like clockwork (16500 on the clock, had 16000 when I got it). Recently, when I first start it up, it's making a belt squeak-type noise, and what sounds like a rattle.

A friend of mine was at my house this weekend, one that is far more mechanically-inclined than I am, and he suspected the supercharger. Now, whether or not it's the pulley, the belt, or the actual innards (I certainly hope not), I don't know.

There seems to be no loss of power and after a while (10-15 minutes of run time) it seems to go away, or at the least, barely noticable. It seems to be the worst at about 3k.

Now, my questions:

Where would be the best place to have someone look at it? I'm assuming a Ford dealership may not be overly helpful. There's a Speedlab about 90 minutes from where I'm at, would I be better off contacting them and taking a trip, or should I give the local Ford dealership a shot first?

The car runs fine. It has died on me a couple times, within about 5 minutes of starting it (at idle, it just croaked). My friend said that could be due to putting a new battery in it, and it sitting as much as it does. Out of the 500 miles I've put on it in 2.5 months, 330 was on the highway bringing it home.

Could lack of use also be a contributor?
Old 07-13-2008
Administrator

Hi Fud,

Do you have a local Saleen Dealer?

I can recall a new battery episode with a stock 1999 GT. It spit, puked, and didn’t want to run. There was also a time when it needed a new idle control valve (I think) and / or EGR cleaned. It didn’t want to run, start, and was running rich.

There might be some belt slippage in the 4.6 SC Saleens from the get-go. Maybe someone will know more. Check the belt, ask if it was ever replaced, replaced with one of the correct length, and check out the tensioner.
Old 07-13-2008
Suspended Account

The noise seems to go away after the car's ran for a while.

I don't think there's a Saleen dealer within 100 miles of me. It runs fine otherwise. No hesitation/sputter, it goes like I should...

For a while, it would "bump" the idle. It would keep going from about 1000 to 1500, then back down, then bump it again. It hasn't done that the last few times I drove it though, so that may have been a battery thing (according to my friend, it was trying to re-learn how to run with the new one).
Old 07-13-2008
Suspended Account

Clean out the Mass Air Flow. If you get a little oil from the K/N on it, it will fluctuate the idle and make your car act up. Just go down to your local auto parts store and buy some MAF cleaner. ( make sure you do it when the car is cold) then the PCM will relearn again.
Good luck,
Jorge
Old 07-14-2008
Suspended Account

Thanks for the info.

The idle bump doesn't happen anymore, but a cleaning can't be a bad thing. After talking to the guy at Brenspeed, I'll just take it to the Ford dealership and have them look at the pulleys. It may not necessarily be the SC pulley, but maybe one of the others' bearings going bad. The car is 9 years old after all...
Old 07-15-2008
SOEC Member

That idle bump could have been caused by a hot day. Was your a/c on? The compressor kicks on intermittently and boosts the idle rpm's.

Does your car have an aftermarket tune by any chance (SCT or diablosport?). The fact that your car "died" at idle could be the tune if it's an aftermarket tune. Mine used to do that at idle without the clutch pushed in until my tech adjusted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fud View Post
Thanks for the info.

The idle bump doesn't happen anymore, but a cleaning can't be a bad thing. After talking to the guy at Brenspeed, I'll just take it to the Ford dealership and have them look at the pulleys. It may not necessarily be the SC pulley, but maybe one of the others' bearings going bad. The car is 9 years old after all...

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 07-15-2008
Suspended Account

Both times it died, it was about 5 minutes after I started it. Both times it was after the car sat for a couple weeks.

The A/C hasn't been on, it needs recharged. But, like I said, it's idling fine now.

I won't have a chance to do it this week, but I'm going to take the car to the Ford dealer and have them check out the pulleys/belts.
Old 07-26-2008
Suspended Account

Just an update:

After a visit to a friend's house (after a drunken discussion in a bar the night before), we figured out it was the upper idler pulley.

A trip to Advanced Auto Parts and $22 later, it was fixed (cost me $22 + a case of beer).

Good friends to have. :)
Old 07-26-2008
Suspended Account

Thats awesome, thats why I always say to take off the belt and double check all the pulleys before jumping into something expensive.
Old 07-27-2008
Suspended Account

He also recharged my A/C. Total cost, with the pulley (and beer) was $36. It took a total of 15 minutes.

The dealership wanted $130 for the A/C, and I can only imagine what they'd have charged to change the pulley.
Old 07-31-2008
SOEC Member

Hi Fud, glad you found your problem, but look at your belt on the top side. You will find a wear mark on the side closer to the engine, then look at the lower radiator hose on the Thermastate housing, most have a wear mark or groove worn into it. This is a problem with the Saleen S/C from 99 to 04. I make a S/C idler pulley system that fixes this and adds hp and tq. If you have the stock S/C pulley you can still use the stock belt. If you are getting the Chicane 2.66 pulley you will have to get a 112 inch. belt. A great belt is the Goodyear Gator back belt, Auto Zone has them and can order longer sizes if they dont have it in stock...
my email is svanhoose57@hotmail.com
I can send you the brocher and instructions to install. I do have info. on this site to. Under Saleen S/c idler pulley system... 99 04 mustangs
2005 S/C #10 Press Car w/ Scenic Roof
3.20 S/C Pulley & 18% overdrive Crank
Mosaleen S/C no slip idler system
3:73 gears, Watts link Gen II
14" front brakes, slotted rear rotors
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
F-5 Joplin Mo. Tornado surviour 5-22-11.
Old 07-31-2008
Suspended Account

Noted, thanks.
Old 08-01-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Did idler pully solve the noise

Hey Fud

did the pulley change get rid if the noise you heard that went away after warming up?

I have a 2002 with a Kenne Bell and new motor and it has done that since I had everything installed. I had everything changed when I purchased the car so I don't know if it did it before I made the change.

Why would the sound go away by changing the pulley?

Johnbgood230
Old 08-01-2008
Suspended Account

It went away because it wasn't the S/C pulley or the super charger, but the upper-idler pulley (the one just right and below the alternator pulley).

We were just suspecting the S/C pulley, until we pulled the belt and found it to be the upper-idler.

In your case, it could very well be something different though. It wasn't too hard to check, just pull the belt and spin the pulleys with your hands. Any that have bad/coing bad bearing should be immediately apparent, or if it is the least bit loose/wobbly (they should be tight).

At least, that's all my friend did.
Old 08-01-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Pulley noise

Thanks FUD

I called my mechanic. I'll be dropping by this afternoon and he'll check it for me. I'll post what he finds.

Thanks for the info

Johnbgood230