The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-13-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Ground clearance?

Hey guys! I just added a new ride to the stable...04-0358! Problem is, I have to ship it from New York to Florida...(want to do the drive like I did for my 01 from Maryland, but the schedule is tight)...

I was looking at the shipping companies and one said that if it is under 4 inches ground clearance, I would need either an enclosed trailer (b/c loading system) or a specialty trailer to pick it up.

Long story long,....what is the ground clearance on the 04 S/C?

Additionally, I know that the tires are: tires are front 265 35 18 / rear 295 35 18, but that shouldn't matter tooo much. Thoughts?

Finally, can I ship the speedster cover in the car? I found an article on here that talks about how the cover fits in the car sideways over the passenger seat and under the bar, but I don't want it to get jacked up on the ride (esp b/c the 2004 has a lower bar).

Thanks in advance for the help! Also, if anyone could grab the unofficial production stats for me, I would appreciate it!!
Old 11-13-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Congrats on the new car! 4". eh? Gonna be close, but I think you will be fine. As for the tonneau cover, I take it you are referring to a one piece tonneau? If a two piece, it will fit just fine. If a one piece, then it might fit if you dropped the top, finagled it into place comfortably, then put the top up.
Old 11-13-2013

Thanks! Yeah, as you know, we scrape everywhere we go in the 99-04. Honestly, I would assume that it is the same clearance as mine, but I wanted to confirm before setting all this up/potentially doing any damage.

For the tonneau, yes, it is the 1 piece. I know I read about a guy that detailed how to fit it in, but I am concerned about the driver not using the same care we would. I was reading on another board that it fits, but is tight. They recommended bubble wrapping it, boxing it up, and shipping with Greyhound. I guess they just put it under the bus and you can pick it up at the end for around $100. If I don't ship it enclosed (with the top installed), I will probably end up doing this.

I will probably be flying up to inspect the car and wrap up the top on my own to ensure that it is packaged well. $100 for a round trip on Spirit to NYC is worth it for the peace of mind of inspecting it before the shipping company comes and to package up the top.

Can anyone confirm the ground clearance?
Old 11-13-2013

I ran into the same issue when I purchased mine. The enclosed trailer was only slightly more money so I opted for it. The car shipped with the cover in place and was shipped with other high end cars so I know it was taken care of. The driver was also equipped ofr the clearance issue and was very careful when unloading it. He also had a paper that identified even the smallest blemishes that he found when picking it up from the seller. We both went over the car when it arrived and there were zero issues. I would recommend finding a company that is used to transporting higher end cars and consider the few extra $$$ as peace of mind for a safe shipment of your baby.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethrough View Post
I ran into the same issue when I purchased mine. The enclosed trailer was only slightly more money so I opted for it. The car shipped with the cover in place and was shipped with other high end cars so I know it was taken care of. The driver was also equipped ofr the clearance issue and was very careful when unloading it. He also had a paper that identified even the smallest blemishes that he found when picking it up from the seller. We both went over the car when it arrived and there were zero issues. I would recommend finding a company that is used to transporting higher end cars and consider the few extra $$$ as peace of mind for a safe shipment of your baby.
Good advice. Might I add, have the seller take complete pictures the day of pickup, of both the vehicle as well as the tonneau cover. Might come in handy for insurance claims, if either one are damaged.
Old 11-13-2013

Mine is 4 inch from the lowest point in the body kit but a bit lower maybe 3"(?) under the car. If I was shipping a car, I would pay a bit more for a piece of mind.
Old 11-14-2013

I hear you guys, definitely. It's just that my quotes are coming in at $1,000 more for enclosed shipping vs. open carrier. The 3" is what I was worried about...check out this picture that he snapped of the underside...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2013

A 1000 isn't that much when you compare to how much it'll cost to fix all the damage that could happen when the car can't clear the trailer
Old 11-14-2013

Thumbs up

Had mine shipped from VA to SC in an enclosed trailer with the tonnou on, cost around 7 somethin. It was a lower trailer so the load and unload was fine.
Attached Thumbnails
064.JPG  

Old 11-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat0818 View Post
Had mine shipped from VA to SC in an enclosed trailer with the tonnou on, cost around 7 somethin. It was a lower trailer so the load and unload was fine.
Sorry for the off topic here, but that is a beautiful looking car! When you get the time, post up a thread with more pics. I would love to see it!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled topic.
Old 11-15-2013

Wow, that is a great price! I was getting quotes around 1600/1700 and about 700 for open carrier. If I were to drive it, it would only cost me about $450 with gas, flight, and food.

I did get a couple quotes today around 1200, so maybe we are getting closer...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2013

Call around and see if the shoppers has competitive pricing. You'd be surprise will how low a company is willing to go when the economy is this bad. If you have 2 company price bidding against each other, you can get it ship for next to nothing
Old 11-15-2013

Smile

Thx, here ya go...srry guys i wont post anymore pix on this tread but i used stateway auto trans for shipping just in case you wanted to get a quote from them.
Attached Thumbnails
jpeg95reencoded.jpg  

Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat0818 View Post
Thx, here ya go...srry guys i wont post anymore pix on this tread but i used stateway auto trans for shipping just in case you wanted to get a quote from them.

Absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 11-16-2013
SOEC Member

My ground clearance on a saleen cobra vert is in about 2.5" under the car at the vert chassis braces. Too low. It bottoms out a fair amount. Mine was shipped enclosed from Cali to ma for $1450, so very cheap. Top down, tonneau installed.