The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 07-27-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help: Pinion Angle & Vibration???

Hey Guys, I got sick of my truck vibrating when I take off so I finally got around to playing with the pinion angle. I installed some 2.5 degree shims with the fat end facing frontwards!! This confuses me as every site I read about talks about lowered trucks says to place them fat end to the back. This of course is depending on whether or not our trucks are actually lower then a stock f150 or just "appear" to be. Anyways, the fat ends are facning the front which resulted in the nose of the pinion coming DOWN. Please take a look at the pics below, but it appears that it may be good to go. I just want to get everyone's opinion as I dont know much about this stuff. Oh yeah, the vibration is GONE!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I would think thet if the fat side is forward you pinion nose would rise??
or am I mistaken somewhere??

BTW mine doesn't have any vibration.

Hennie
Old 01-08-2011

I think your logic is sound. lowering the truck points the pinion down. Putting the shim plate in with the flat side back brings the pinion back up.

You had to do the opposite of course. I'm definitely going to check mine now, I think I have some of those shim plates lying around.

Jason
07-0156
Old 01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaz View Post
I think your logic is sound. lowering the truck points the pinion down. Putting the shim plate in with the flat side back brings the pinion back up.

You had to do the opposite of course. I'm definitely going to check mine now, I think I have some of those shim plates lying around.

Jason
07-0156

Well, either way Ive been vibration free now since I did it. Ive read that our trucks are actually HIGHER than the stock FX4's. I guess the 23" and the suspension add about 1.5" or so.
Old 02-12-2011

After lowering the rear of my truck 2 inches my pinion angle appears improved but it's visually difficult to tell.
Old 02-13-2011

Default saleen stock ride height findings

rmehuron,
I hate to disagree with you regarding our trucks ride height, but I'd say that from what I learned while lowering my truck is that they are Ford stock 2WD height.
I started here, I assumed that if Saleen had altered the height in any way, that the lowering kit I purchase will yeild little to nothing, as these parts were meant for a Ford Stock 2WD truck.
The components I installed yeilded exactly what was advertised therefore I believe that they are stock 2WD ride height.
Now the front springs had Saleen printed on them and the shocks were N2, but the shackles are Ford stock, etc.
Interestingly the vibration I have is worse, but I can't visually tell if there is any angle to the pinion, it has to be incredibly small.

Jason