The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-24-2011
SOEC Member

Default Service upgrade: Autolite HTO's in S281 Extreme?

Anyone got a pdf or pics on doing a plug change on a saleen extreme? Got some new HTO's and wanted to do the job myself if possible. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucianpilot View Post
Anyone got a pdf or pics on doing a plug change on a saleen extreme? Got some new HTO's and wanted to do the job myself if possible. Thanks.
If you need a PDF to change spark plugs you might not want to do it yourself..

First of all you should have a torque wrench, and then you need to either gap the plugs or have them gaped, if they are already gaped then just remove the coil packs (one bolt each) and take out the old plugs and put in the new ones and torque per what it says on the package. If i remember right it is 23ft lbs of torque.
Old 03-24-2011
SOEC Member

I appreciate your concern. I have done this type of work before, however the last mustang I worked on was my 87 gt so I was just looking for a little guidance. Do you know what plugs the extreme come with?
Old 03-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucianpilot View Post
I appreciate your concern. I have done this type of work before, however the last mustang I worked on was my 87 gt so I was just looking for a little guidance. Do you know what plugs the extreme come with?
The plugs in my 06 extreme were just some oem plugs, I assume the same ones that came in the mustang gt..
Old 03-25-2011

HTx spark plugs (Autolite or Motorcraft) have a checkered history because of the possibility of breaking during removal. If the plugs have not been removed and reinstalled using nickel anti-seize then you need to be very careful. Before you start, I recommend you buy a broken spark plug removal tool (e.g. Lisle 65600) just in case. Also, carburetor cleaner (or PB Blaster) and high temp NICKEL anti-seize. Ford has a TSB for this but here is Autolite's version:

http://www.autolite.com/sites/defaul...bulletin_0.pdf

I've done R&R on my plugs several times and never had an issue but there are enough horror stories on the net that I recommend you err on the side of caution.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2011

Double check the gap. The HTOs do need to be gapped to the Saleen specs. There is a special tool to gap them.
Old 03-25-2011
Saleen Staff Users

If your car is an Extreme , you will need to gap them at .46
Old 03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rivard View Post
If your car is an Extreme , you will need to gap them at .46
Really? .046" gap? They come at a .045" gap and for high boost applications even Brenspeed gaps them for you at .032.. Where did you pull the .046" gap out of?
Old 03-25-2011

.032 gap on mine.
Old 03-25-2011
SOEC Member

That's what JDM sold me mine at pregapped, .032.
Old 03-25-2011
Saleen Staff Users

i'm sorry, it was a typo. we gapped the plugs at .34 in the E's when we built the engines.
Old 03-26-2011
SOEC Member

Great info. guys,
Jdm HTO gapped at .032 also, use a good penatrating product, WD 40 even , while pulling the plugs I would back them out 1/2 turn then back in 1/2 turn while increasing the by 1/2 inch turning them outwards. This allows the baked on carbon to loosen up and hopefully the plugs not braking. After I broke the plugs loose I sprayed more WD 40 down into area. None broke on me...
Scott
2005 S/C #10 Press Car w/ Scenic Roof
3.20 S/C Pulley & 18% overdrive Crank
Mosaleen S/C no slip idler system
3:73 gears, Watts link Gen II
14" front brakes, slotted rear rotors
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
F-5 Joplin Mo. Tornado surviour 5-22-11.