The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-31-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Hi Seeking info on 00-476

Hello forum, I recently purchased a 2000 Mustang Saleen Speedster #476 and was wondering if someone could please help me with gathering information on it. The VIN is 1FAFP45X6YF209647 I really love the car but having trouble getting it to pass the Cali smog. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Jeff W
Old 05-31-2021
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default 00-476

00-476
Last 3 of vin: 647
P45 chassis GT convertible model year 2000
Ship date: 4/26/00
Features: 3:55, Mats, Speedster package, Chrome wheels, Leather.

What is the issue you are having with smog? Check engine light or failing visual inspection ie: missing smog equipment? Is it supercharged?
Old 05-31-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default 00-476

Hi,

First of thank you for the info on my car. As for the smog, the previous owner added a supercharger and the smog station couldn’t locate a CARB# for it. He didn’t fail me, just said I need to take it to a state ref to have them look at it. It was a previous CA registered car until 2017 and then moved over to Arizona. This is my first Mustang and I really don’t know too much about supercharges. So I need to find a mechanics in the San Diego area to take a look at it before I even think about taking it to a state ref.
Old 05-31-2021
Administrator

Brand of supercharger?
Old 06-01-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default 00-476

Hi Dave,

I don’t see a name or any numbers on it. I have attached a picture of my engine bay. Maybe someone can visually recognize the brand. Longshot!!!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
E2175063-9A7F-41A8-98C9-D01953E660CC.jpg  

Old 06-01-2021

That looks like a stock Saleen supercharger (series 2) including the intake so you should be fine. The supercharger saleen used for the series 2 was an eaton M90.

I am not sure where you can find the carb # but in the past Saleen had replacement ones for about $20. Saleen had sent me this which say covers the series 4 supercharger. However, according to Saleen since Exhibit A will list the prior vehicles covered, it would cover previous like EO's and replace them so you should be good for the series 2.

https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-473-7

Hope this helps

Last edited by 02saleen; 06-01-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default 00-476

Thank you 02 Saleen! I will contact Saleen to see if they can assist with getting me the required information I need to get this car on the road. Summer is almost here and I want to enjoy it!

Thanks
Jeff W
Old 06-01-2021

We had bought a truck last year from Wisconsin (bad idea due to the snow/salt, but that’s another story lol) and from what I recall we didn’t need to have a ref inspection (just regular smog check/test). Did the shop say why you needed a ref inspection? Was it just due to not being able to find the carb #? I guess it can also be that things have changed.

From what I have heard the inspection is free and the smog certification is like $10.

Scheduling an appointment with the referee can be a little tough as it can take some time to get someone on the phone to setup the appointment and they only have the calendar available about a month at a time. At least that was the case during Covid and before things became more relaxed/open in CA.

I recommend you print out the link in the previous post and any other info you have/can find as well to have handy for any time you have to smog. Unfortunately, CA is getting stricter so it will make things easier for you to be prepared and either keep things stock or at least keep the stock parts to avoid headaches to try and find them later.

Here is a link to the install guide for that supercharger as well.

https://www.soec.org/manuals/superch...ng/064-100.pdf
Old 06-01-2021

Default M-90 supercharger

You want to use this one. This is the one for the M-90

D-473-2

Just pull up the PDF and show it to your smog guy. Plain as Jane. Also, yes Saleen may still have an engine decal for a 2000 model year. I am also trying to locate one for you.
Old 06-01-2021

As DarkStallion mentioned, you can pull the PDF or print it and the smog guy should be ok with it. Unless the smog guy said you needed a ref for other reasons.

In the install guide page 20 step # 129 Install the EO# Plaque on the back of the supercharger (figure 74). It can be that it fell off or they forgot to put it on.
Old 06-01-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default M-90 Supercharger

I want to thank all you for giving me such great advice!! Such a cool community!!!
Old 06-02-2021

My car didnt have the series 2 from factory as I added it at a later time so I too was on a similar boat and looking things up for smog.

This is the carb print out I have that specifically mentions the eaton M90, pulley size, injectors etc. I doubt they will make an issue on the injectors and pulley size but I guess that can depend on the smog guy/ref and day they are having lol. I did notice your injectors seem to be green and normally the 30 lbs injectors are red.

https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-473-5

Did the shop also check your parameters? If not, I recommend you check that. Since the car is from out of state there is a chance your tune has them off which can cause you to fail. A simple OBD2 scanner can check this for you. You can likely borrow one from a friend/shop or buy one. I have a simple one from Amazon for under $40 bucks that does the trick (Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD2). It also comes in handy to know what's going on when the check engine light comes on in case you do some work on your cars.

Try to check all boxes ahead of time to avoid any headaches/surprises.

Best of luck and hope you can soon enjoy your car
Old 06-02-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for linking the EO and all the helpful tips! When I purchased this from the dealer in Arizona they didn’t mention to me that the car had been dyno tuned and all the other amazing parts were added. I did locate a SCT hand held tuner in the trunk. Hopefully it has the stock file in it.

Thank you
Jeff W
Old 06-07-2021

Cool smog

Not sure what parts were added, what is obvious and what is hidden and how your car was tuned...but I would not mention any of that to your smog guy. Try to provide the info that you can print and hide your tuner under your pillow in your basement and have him smog the car as is. If you are familiar with the tuner, parts, etc. then obviously do what you think is best, but the last thing you want to do is return you car to stock unless that is what your goals are. Good luck with the smog, as I too will have to go speak with the smog reaper before October this year.
Old 06-08-2021
Saleen Forums Registrant

Yeah, the motor looks stock. Previous owner just added different injectors, fuel pump and a SCT tuner. I’ll check with an OBD tool before I take it in. Good luck with your smog in October!