The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Or as Parnelli likes to call them, for "the Parnelli Jones/Saleen Limited Edition."

Old 12-17-2008
SOEC Member

Default Super PJ!!

For the last few weeks we have been working on a PJ car here in our shop that had recieved a ton of extensive work. He actually brought the car here about two months ago where we performed all the work and supercharged the car. We made custom bracketry to make the shaker scoop work with a regular saleen supercharger kit. The owner really wanted the supershaker but it was not available so we told him when they became available we would install it at no extra cost. So he agree'd had the work performed and came back for the final touches.

Well a breif background on this vehicle was it was purchased for the intent of road coarse racing. The owner has had mustangs and vettes and other vehicles in the past and has a bunch of road racing experience. His idea was to build a unique and insanely fast road race car that would put porsche cup cars on the trailer. Well we were able to help him do exactly that! With his first trip to the track he finished in the top 3 of the fastest cars at the track that day!

We ended up making 450 RWHP for a nice conservative street tune that he could also race on. We wanted to make sure when heat soak built up from racing that the car would be safe. We could have probably made around 480 really easy but we were playing it safe. Besides the supercharger it recieved our stage 2 upgrade kit, the Saleen 08 Extreme Heat Exchanger kit, Single piece driveshaft, 6 speed TR6060 transmission, Pro 50 shifter and a slew of suspension parts. The Suspension included instant center brackets for the lower control arms, billet lower control arms, adjustable upper control arm, and adjustable front and rear shocks. We also installed a BMR K member and A arms up front. The customer had already installed a brake ducting kit you can also see in the pics.

Anyways we now have the supershaker lid fit to the car and plan on dynoing it tommorow! Ill be sure to post the graphs and any info we find right away!

JimIII

Old 12-17-2008
SOEC Member

Very nice Jim!

On the brake ducting, did you guys fab that up or can you sell that as a kit?
Old 12-17-2008

BADASS!

wohoo! message to short! :P
Old 12-17-2008
SOEC Member

Does it have a roll cage too?
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 12-17-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
Does it have a roll cage too?

Not yet but he is considering a 6 point bar as well as a set of custom carbon fiber Saleen speedlab seats that are currently in my car. They just so happen be orange!! They were originally for our beryllium car.

JimIII
Old 12-17-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
Very nice Jim!

That is a kit made by agent 47 i believe. He modified the mounting parts to fit behind the fake fog lamps
Old 12-17-2008
SOEC Member

WOW! Very nice. What brand of headers are installed? What can you tell me about the 6-speed install? Is there much custom fab work that needs to be done for the swap? What did you replace the clutch with? Did you stay with the stock rear brakes?
Old 12-18-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Very nice Jim!

Looks close to what Ford Racing sells. FR500C Brake Duct Kit: M-2004-A
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecoot View Post
WOW! Very nice. What brand of headers are installed? What can you tell me about the 6-speed install? Is there much custom fab work that needs to be done for the swap? What did you replace the clutch with? Did you stay with the stock rear brakes?

The headers and X pipe are Kooks Custom. They are 304 Stainless and 2 1/2" all the way through. They add about 30 HP to these cars with tuning and sound awesome!!

The 6 speed is just all shelby GT500 components. We got a trans, mount, and shifter hardware from ford as well as the upper and lower boots. We got the Shelby Gt500 clutch assembly from ford motorsport. Its a direct fit to the 8 bolt flywheel. We installed a gt500 single piece driveshaft from the axle exchange.

The rear brakes have actually been upgraded to the Steeda 13" kit but i dont think he liked them too much on the road coarse. Alot of funny wear patterns on the rotors. I recommended going back to stock with upgraded pads and rotors.

JimIII
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Looks close to what Ford Racing sells. FR500C Brake Duct Kit: M-2004-A
\

Your right its like the same kit
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Jr - Did you remove the "Super Shaker" badges and replace them with the originals? If so, how difficult was it?
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-18-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

I dont mean to steal your question for jr but you can replace the supershaker badges on the side of the scoop because they are just double sided tape(or if you want you should be able to reuse your stock aluminum scoop) but the badge on the tray is a different size so you wouldnt be able to reuse it
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange04s281 View Post
I dont mean to steal your question for jr but you can replace the supershaker badges on the side of the scoop because they are just double sided tape(or if you want you should be able to reuse your stock aluminum scoop) but the badge on the tray is a different size so you wouldnt be able to reuse it

That is what we found, we actually switched lids because thats what the customer wanted.

BTW the car just went from 454 with the stock saleen blower to 502 with the Supershaker!!!! Video, info, and dyno graphs to come!!

JimIII
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM View Post
That is what we found, we actually switched lids because thats what the customer wanted.

BTW the car just went from 454 with the stock saleen blower to 502 with the Supershaker!!!! Video, info, and dyno graphs to come!!

JimIII
Great #'s!!!

So the stock "shaker" can be reused?

What all is done to the car? Catted X or o/r?

DETAILS, JR!!!
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacettr View Post
Great #'s!!!

So the stock "shaker" can be reused?

What all is done to the car? Catted X or o/r?

DETAILS, JR!!!
the lid was just transfered over it will unbolt and bolt on the new charger directly!

The car has kooks full exhaust with catted X pipe and stock PJ (edlebrock) mufflers.

It has the 39# injectors and a 3.4 pulley, we are maxxing out the injectors and mass air at 502 RWHP right at Red line. So about 500 is the ceiling on the maf meter right now. We are going to make some changes in the tuning and go with 60lb injectors and my father feels we can safely make another 25-30 HP.

Tonight we and tommorow, weather permitting, we are going to do some road testing with the car. Monday we will switch the pulley and injectors and make some more power!!!!
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
the lid was just transfered over it will unbolt and bolt on the new charger directly!

The car has kooks full exhaust with catted X pipe and stock PJ (edlebrock) mufflers.

It has the 39# injectors and a 3.4 pulley, we are maxxing out the injectors and mass air at 502 RWHP right at Red line. So about 500 is the ceiling on the maf meter right now. We are going to make some changes in the tuning and go with 60lb injectors and my father feels we can safely make another 25-30 HP.

Tonight we and tommorow, weather permitting, we are going to do some road testing with the car. Monday we will switch the pulley and injectors and make some more power!!!!

So it will be a similar setup to mine other than catted x vs o/r h?

You gonna test it with the 3.2 and 60's? What MAF sensor are you going to use?

I can hardly sit still right now!!!
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:

So it will be a similar setup to mine other than catted x vs o/r h?

You gonna test it with the 3.2 and 60's? What MAF sensor are you going to use?

I can hardly sit still right now!!!

Very similar infact! We are definatley testing the 60#s and 3.2 by monday, maybe tommorow if the weather sucks and my dad gets bored. If the car is sitting on the dyno and we cant drive it on the road no other reason than to add some boost and tune it up! We are sticking with the stock maf sensor to see how far we can make it work. So far we have already seen 5 volts (max capable reading of a ford maf sensor) that was right at 500 Hp at the wheels, about 6500 RPM. With a set of 60 lb injectors and massaging the tune my father feels confident we can get it to 530 RWHP safely. Thats it with the stock sensor. We are going to try a larger reading slot sensor eventually. We will not experiment with a maf externder.

JimIII
Old 12-18-2008
SOEC Member

This is a video clip i took today of the car on the dyno. This is again with a 3.4 pulley making just over 10 psi boost. The car has 39 lb injectors, Saleen twin pump fuel system, autolite spark plugs @ .030" and kooks longtube headers with catted x pipe. Stock 3.73 gears, aluminum driveshaft, TR6060 6 speed trans, GT500 clutch, lots of suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuSZf9WkzHM

The timing on both dyno runs was the same exact level, we actually started out with 2 degrees less and still made 485-492, then we added 1 degree and saw 498 then 1 more back to where the table was before and made 502!! We picked up 48 HP and 24 ftlbs of torque. Its solid power from the hit of the throttle till redline. Air fuel ratio is obviosly right on line untill about 6500 RPM where the mass air meter hit 5 volts and skipped up lean. Not a big deal the 60lb injectors and new dyno tune will fix this car.

Last edited by JimIII@JDM; 12-18-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2008
SOEC Member

Just...wow.

I dropped mine with my buddy (Ford tech) today so he can get started on the install...
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-19-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I have talked to Jim Jr. about taking my PJ in for a Supershaker install, Tune and Dnyo in early January. I already the L/T Headers and X-Pipes installed. At the last dnyo it was pulling 360RWHP and 348#FTTQ so with the SS it should see quite the performance boost. C'mon January!
Super Shaker PJ #39 (RW 483HP / 464TQ)
'05 Thunderbird - Inca Gold 1 of 82
'03 Thunderbird - Torch Red
'13 BOSS 302 - School Bus Yellow
with Trackey Option & Seat Delete
Old 12-19-2008
SOEC Member

Hey Jim,
I have seen a few super-shakers in person and the only thing I don't like is how high the shaker sits. Is there any way to get it to sit like the stock PJ shaker height?
Old 12-19-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Hey Jim,
I have seen a few super-shakers in person and the only thing I don't like is how high the shaker sits. Is there any way to get it to sit like the stock PJ shaker height?
You could lose power if it sits too low.

Mach 1 guys actually use spacers to raise their shakers...
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-19-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Hey Jim,
Drop motor mounts, i cant say how much of a performance difference it is lowering it but i understand why that people would raise it for performance.
Old 12-20-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I have talked to Jim Jr. about taking my PJ in for a Supershaker install, Tune and Dnyo in early January. I already the L/T Headers and X-Pipes installed. At the last dnyo it was pulling 360RWHP and 348#FTTQ so with the SS it should see quite the performance boost. C'mon January!

Your going to have a whole new car! Cant wait to get the car in here too. As usual we'll take good care of it. Another 100+ HP under your right foot is going to be fun!
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

With a 3.00 pulley and 60lb injectors we made 543 today! The 3.00 pulley only yeilded about 11.5 psi boost. Normally it makes about 13.5 boost. We believe the rain gaurd and filter sock are a restriction and plan to do some testing with out them. For now the customer is looking to get his PJ back so we are done for the time being. Here is a copy of the dyno graph!!

Old 12-22-2008

WOW, the average PJ runs in the 320s range RWHP from the factory and now JDM has improved it by 220RWHP. WOW.
I talked to Jim Jr. This morning and my PJ is being picked up on 1/6.
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Very impressive guys. You clearly know how to get the best out of a Saleen.

I love the idea of 220 more rwhp, but what is the final cost? PJ supercharger, 6sp tranny, better fuel pump, better injectors, etc. I think the tranny mods are the hardest ones for me to get over the hump on.

I am torn on doing the ShakerCharge for the "only" 100 hp (I assume at the crank gain) considering the cost ($7k plus install). To really get the big gains then the tranny needs to be replaced. I have been road racing for 20 years, so I very well understand that hp costs money. I just need to "sell" myself that I need that much more out of my PJ.

Again, very impressive JDM!
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
Very impressive guys. You clearly know how to get the best out of a Saleen.

I love the idea of 220 more rwhp, but what is the final cost? PJ supercharger, 6sp tranny, better fuel pump, better injectors, etc. I think the tranny mods are the hardest ones for me to get over the hump on.

I am torn on doing the ShakerCharge for the "only" 100 hp (I assume at the crank gain) considering the cost ($7k plus install). To really get the big gains then the tranny needs to be replaced. I have been road racing for 20 years, so I very well understand that hp costs money. I just need to "sell" myself that I need that much more out of my PJ.

Again, very impressive JDM!
Thanks alot! We do spend alot of time on these cars to make sure the combination is right.

To see these kind of end results, these are the parts you will need.

Saleen Supershaker kit $7500 retail (i can beat retail)
SCT programmer $395
Kooks headers and catted X $1493
3.0 pulley $99
60# injectors $465
GT500 fuel system $780

Now the trans swap is not necessary, the 6 speed was only done for road racing purpose. but id suggest a better clutch such as a spec stage 2+. The stock clutch is a Mcleod... the same ones that are used in the extrems, but they slip over 500 RWHP.
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Thanks alot! We do spend alot of time on these cars to make sure the combination is right.

To see these kind of end results, these are the parts you will need.

Saleen Supershaker kit $7500 retail (i can beat retail)
SCT programmer $395
Kooks headers and catted X $1493
3.0 pulley $99
60# injectors $465
GT500 fuel system $780

Now the trans swap is not necessary, the 6 speed was only done for road racing purpose. but id suggest a better clutch such as a spec stage 2+. The stock clutch is a Mcleod... the same ones that are used in the extrems, but they slip over 500 RWHP.

So do I need the 3.0 now?

Did you do any road testing/datalogging/tuning?
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
So do I need the 3.0 now?

Did you do any road testing/datalogging/tuning?

Well the 3.2 went back on the car actually for saftey at the track and in this cold weather we are seeing here in the North East.

We did do a ton of road testing on Friday and this morning. The datalogging showed much cooler inlet temps, and we were able to accomidate the tuning accoridingly to keep the car safe.

JimIII
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Well the 3.2 went back on the car actually for saftey at the track and in this cold weather we are seeing here in the North East.

We did do a ton of road testing on Friday and this morning. The datalogging showed much cooler inlet temps, and we were able to accomidate the tuning accoridingly to keep the car safe.

JimIII
How much different will the tune need to be to accomidate mt o/r h-pipe?

Let me know when you are ready with a tune for me. Call me if you wish...
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
How much different will the tune need to be to accomidate mt o/r h-pipe?

Let me know when you are ready with a tune for me. Call me if you wish...

The difference in the tune is very little to be honest. We have an offroad H on our sterling car and switched to and X, there was about a 3 Hp gain over the x pipe. No tune change was made, air fuel stayed pretty much identical. I can get a tune ready soon, bare with us for the holidays! Ill try to call you tommorow or just call me if you get a chance first!

JimIII
Old 12-22-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
The difference in the tune is very little to be honest. We have an offroad H on our sterling car and switched to and X, there was about a 3 Hp gain over the x pipe. No tune change was made, air fuel stayed pretty much identical. I can get a tune ready soon, bare with us for the holidays! Ill try to call you tommorow or just call me if you get a chance first!

JimIII

Will do, Jr. Thanks...
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-31-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
With a 3.00 pulley and 60lb injectors we made 543 today! The 3.00 pulley only yeilded about 11.5 psi boost. Normally it makes about 13.5 boost. We believe the rain gaurd and filter sock are a restriction and plan to do some testing with out them. For now the customer is looking to get his PJ back so we are done for the time being. Here is a copy of the dyno graph!!

Jr - any reason for the relatively sharp dropoff at 5500?
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 12-31-2008

Wow, very nice numbers! My #39 will be at your facility on the 6th for a SuperShaker, tune and dyno.
Old 12-31-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Jr - any reason for the relatively sharp dropoff at 5500?
Every supercharged vehicle drops off like that on the torque graph at the higher RPM's. Its okay because your horsepower is whats carrying you at that point.

JimIII
Old 12-31-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Wow, very nice numbers! My #39 will be at your facility on the 6th for a SuperShaker, tune and dyno.

I just helped the drive get the trailer ready for the trip! He'll probably call you today and then on tuesday on his way up! Cant wait to see the car here! #39 is going to be one PJ you don't want to mess with!!