The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-12-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Passenger Rear Click

Just seeing if anyone on here has any idea what this could be. When I drive over a speedbump i get a single almost plastic sounding click noise coming from the passenger rear of the vehicle. It only happens when the rear wheel is coming down off the speed bump. A single click/clunk.

If i drive through a dip or over bumps or anything else i get no noise only on speed bumps.

I am mechanically challenged so jacking the car up and looking at it myself would be useless.
Just maybe someone had some guesses. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2009
SOEC Member

Are you possibly bottoming out momentarily?
Old 05-12-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
Are you possibly bottoming out momentarily?
Thats what I was thinking maybe you have a blown strut?
Old 05-12-2009

i dont think so. Living where i do theres lots of "dips" at the intersections used for drainage, some of them can be quite severe. On a few occasions I have not slowed down as much as I normally would just so I could hear if they caused the same noise, but it doesnt happen. I dont bottom out on these so cant imagine I would be bottoming out from going over a speed bump at 3 mph.

And if the strut or anything was blown wouldnt it make the same noise whenever that area of the vehicle hit a bump, dip, or anything? Not just a speed bump at the slowest speeds
Old 05-12-2009

Interesting, I was looking at both my rear tires. The driver side one sticks out past the wheel well (20x10 in the rear) at least half an inch compared to the passenger side that is clicking, i am wondering why.......time to take it back to Ford and see what they did to it when i had it in for maintenance.
Old 05-12-2009

I can only think of one reason why your tires are sticking out past the fender well lip. Its the ever popular panhard bar. What you need to do is try and see how far its out with a full tank of fuel versus a near empty tank of fuel. Im guessing with an near empty tank that the amount that the tire sticks out is more than when the tank is full. Or maybe let the gas level get low and then take a wooden or plastic straight edge place it on the side of the wheell well... straight down. And then using some type of marker. mark the area on the top ofthe tire where the straight edge meets the tire.....Then have an adult sit in the back seat of the car and do the same thing.Again my guess would be with someone in the back seat the mark on the tire will be further towards the outer edge of the tire(or as your looking at it, the tire will not be sticking out as far. As for your clicking sound... thats a good one. That could be anything from a loose muffler hanger bolt (far fetched guess) to a spring that is maybe not seated right (another far fetched guess). Let me know what you find out about both of those issues..im very curious

QWKENUF
Craig
Old 05-13-2009

I will definately keep you updated, I just got done reading up on the panhard bar. Is this something that I just need to have replaced? Or would a replacement just do the same thing and pop one wheel out farther than the other?

Also is this something that is harmful to my car if still driven with how it is? As I am hurting in the financial department at the moment.
Old 05-13-2009

The best way to fix the panhard bar is to take it off...........and throw it away. Replace it with a watts link. Either the Saleen gen2 link or Techco watts link. The pan hard bar is attached to the chassis on the passengers side and the body on the drivers side. Spring basically hold the body up off the tires and suspension while the panhard bar connects the body and suspension.Since the tires are part of the chassis system it is pretty much static...in other words it does not move other than being affected by the road conditions. The body on the other hand has much more movement in it, such as wieght,side roll and or torque. What you end up with is the panhard bar work off of a pivot from the point where it attaches to the chassis on the passanger side to the move moveable drives side. If you where to put your right elbow on a deck and then lay your forearm,with finger tips extended towards your left and lay it flat on the desk....now as you lift your arm, you will notice that your finger tips are not as far out as they use to be and the further up you go the further your finger tips go away from that furthest point that they where when you layed them flat on the desk. Your panhard work exactally in the same fashion, although on a much smaller travel scale. Another example of the panhard bar is driving down the freewayat lets just say 70 mph..as you hit the expansion joints in the highway, you might notice that the rear of the car has a slight feel of "kicking-out" from under itself. What is happening is there is torque built up in tha panhard bar abd as the car crosses the expansion joint..the tires and chassis stay in contack with the road but the body does not respond as quickly... the result is the slight kick-out you feel.....its the panhard bar trying to relieve the torque in it. Its really pretty simple once you understand how it works,,, but **** is it a pain to explain. I hope I didn't bore you and that I help you

QWKENUF
Craig