The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-22-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Member/Questions on 351

Hi forum,

First post and have some question that I'm hoping to have answered. I have been looking for a mustang for a year or so. I have looked at Shelby GT350, Roush RS3 and now looking at Saleen. I must admit I have not kept current on Saleen's and started doing some research and found that now it appears they are back with Steve and are staring production again, under his direction. So my first question is, how do I go about finding out info on 2014 Saleen's? I'm interested in the 302SSC and of course the 351X. I realize that info on the 351X may not be available as of yet, I have sent requesting info from Saleen's website but have yet to receive anything. Are cars available now or is each car built to order? Can I order one now and is so, how long would it take to complete? Not to offend anyone, but why buy a Saleen over a Roush or Shelby. Do they have more power? Is it because they are more exclusive, less of them produced etc..... I have to be honest I prefer the looks of the Saleen over the other two.

Another question, are the optional colors available from Saleen painted by them and what is the charge for an optional color? Sorry for all the question, but info is a little hard to find on these SMS Saleen's.

Thanks,
pcw
Old 04-22-2013
Administrator

Welcome!

I'll have someone get in touch with you from Saleen for the information I can't provide.

Things have been a little busy at Saleen over the past several weeks, especially.

The 351 just made its debut in a custom color, and yes that is a pricey optional extra, as the the vehicle is pretty much disassembled.

See photos here:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=15060

Steve Saleen has years of racing and design heritage, and builds an excellent, unique vehicle -- one that is much more exclusive than a Shelby or a Roush, and bang-for-the buck, you get a lot of design and horsepower, and neither have a 700-horsepower model yet.

Jim D.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:

Last edited by Jim D.; 04-22-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2013

Thanks Jim, appreciated!
Old 04-22-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Neither have a 700-horsepower model yet.

Jim D.
Jim, Shelby has 3 horsepower levels 600, 850, and 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2013

Roush also has a 700HP phase 3 with the Aluminator motor option, fully loaded is 69-70K. Does anyone know the price point for the Black Label 302SSC?

pcw
Old 04-23-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
Jim, Shelby has 3 horsepower levels 600, 850, and 1000.
The 850 and 1000 are post title conversions and not a production vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw View Post
Roush also has a 700HP phase 3 with the Aluminator motor option, fully loaded is 69-70K. Does anyone know the price point for the Black Label 302SSC?
The 302 SSC would be similar to the previous Extreme models. Since the Extreme tag is now saved for the 351 model.

13-011 - An S302 SSC Black Label is available at Frontier Ford for $75,000.00. At the moment, it is the only 2013 SSC coupe produced.

www.frontierfordusa.com
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2013

Thanks Dave. I didn't realize that the 302SSC was so rare for 2013.

pcw
Old 04-23-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize that the 302SSC was so rare for 2013.
Gullo Ford "may" have sold a 2013 SSC as well. That would make two. The custom silver SSC shown in promo photos was an updated 2011 or 2012 model.

Last year, Saleen was producing 2012 and 2013 Mustangs at the same time. They may currently be producing 2013 and 2014 models as well. The 2013 production year may not be over.
Old 04-23-2013
SOEC Member

I recently purchased a Black Label SSC. I love the car. I think they look better than the Shelby and are much more rare than a Shelby. The 2013 Shelby is 667 HP car. Do get more power than that, you would need to have converted to Super Snake and then you are talking 100k for a Mustang. I can't speak on the Roush cars as I have only seen them and not driven one, but I think the Saleen looks better. With the 700 hp 351 soon on the horizon and the 351x (800+ hp car) in the near future, I guess it all depends on how much money you want to spend....lol
Old 04-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
I recently purchased a Black Label SSC. I love the car. I think they look better than the Shelby and are much more rare than a Shelby. The 2013 Shelby is 667 HP car. Do get more power than that, you would need to have converted to Super Snake and then you are talking 100k for a Mustang. I can't speak on the Roush cars as I have only seen them and not driven one, but I think the Saleen looks better. With the 700 hp 351 soon on the horizon and the 351x (800+ hp car) in the near future, I guess it all depends on how much money you want to spend....lol
Thanks for the reply. The Shelby I have been looking into is the GT350(R) supercharged 625 HP, 75-78K. You buy a GT from ford and they drop ship it to SAI in Vegas and convent it to a GT350. Since 2011 maybe 400 have been produced. I'm sure the Saleen would have like production numbers as well, of course the GT500 is produced much more than the GT350, Roush and the Saleen. I guess the question I have for you is, what made you go with the Saleen? Also, did you buy from dealer stock or you you order it to your specs? I want to be able to order it just how I want it color, options etc....

pcw
Old 04-23-2013
SOEC Member

When it comes to these kinds of cars I think we can all agree that performance is outstanding. I'm not going to get into who's got 15 more hp or who shows an additional 0.1g on the skid pad. As we all know to one degree or another these numbers are manipulated by either the manufacturers or the buff mags or both. So what is the difference? In my mind it really comes down to design and exclusivity. Today, even Shelbys are produced in their thousands. Buy one and it's likely your neighbor down the street has one like it or at least close. Go to the Mustang club and you'll see several. Saleens on the other hand, especially now, are rare. Their production has been very low and is just know on the upswing for all the reasons we already know. Chances are you will be the only Saleen of your model year in your area.

As for design, especially the exterior (but interior too) it's no contest. The Shelby looks good, don't get me wrong. But it's done with little add on's like a splitter, a wing, nose/tail grills or panels and a hood. Interior changes are minor too. Seat stripes, embossing or embroidery, badges. That's all stuff you'll find on the low end Saleen's.

A Black Label or 351 Saleen has an in house designed complete nose and tail fascia with an integral hood, wing, diffuser and front splitter. Not to mention integrated side skirts. All of which include functional brake cooling ducting. The Saleen is actually 3 inches longer and wind tunnel designed for better aerodynamics. The Saleen has totally different and unique look. Same goes for the interior. The seats are totally reupholstered in leather with Alcantara leather centers. Front and rear. This in addition to the changes in the carpet mats and badging. Each car is individually numbered and registered (on three places in each car) You will always be able to tell a real Saleen from a clone.
Love their new Black Chrome Wheels too.

So there you go. Your choice, and we haven't even talked about the resale value, the 3/36 warranty or the fact that it's certified 50 state and not post title like some of the others.

I'll post some pictures shortly...
Cc
Old 04-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
When it comes to these kinds of cars I think we can all agree that performance is outstanding. I'm not going to get into who's got 15 more hp or who shows an additional 0.1g on the skid pad. As we all know to one degree or another these numbers are manipulated by either the manufacturers or the buff mags or both. So what is the difference? In my mind it really comes down to design and exclusivity. Today, even Shelbys are produced in their thousands. Buy one and it's likely your neighbor down the street has one like it or at least close. Go to the Mustang club and you'll see several. Saleens on the other hand, especially now, are rare. Their production has been very low and is just know on the upswing for all the reasons we already know. Chances are you will be the only Saleen of your model year in your area.

As for design, especially the exterior (but interior too) it's no contest. The Shelby looks good, don't get me wrong. But it's done with little add on's like a splitter, a wing, nose/tail grills or panels and a hood. Interior changes are minor too. Seat stripes, embossing or embroidery, badges. That's all stuff you'll find on the low end Saleen's.

A Black Label or 351 Saleen has an in house designed complete nose and tail fascia with an integral hood, wing, diffuser and front splitter. Not to mention integrated side skirts. All of which include functional brake cooling ducting. The Saleen is actually 3 inches longer and wind tunnel designed for better aerodynamics. The Saleen has totally different and unique look. Same goes for the interior. The seats are totally reupholstered in leather with Alcantara leather centers. Front and rear. This in addition to the changes in the carpet mats and badging. Each car is individually numbered and registered (on three places in each car) You will always be able to tell a real Saleen from a clone.
Love their new Black Chrome Wheels too.

So there you go. Your choice, and we haven't even talked about the resale value, the 3/36 warranty or the fact that it's certified 50 state and not post title like some of the others.

I'll post some pictures shortly...
Cc
Ccmano,

Thanks for the reply and you are correct about the customization that Saleen does. I guess my concern is that there is little on the web regarding later model saleen's, road tests, video's etc.. I tried to find a video clip of the exhaust note, you would think it would be easy, but there is not a lot out there, especially 2010-13. I really don't have a problem with the money, it's more about I want my car a certain way, you mentioned new black chrome wheels, I love black rims, I'm not a chrome wheel guy. So I would want those rims, but I can't find a picture of them. If I'm going to spend 70-80 K for a Saleen, I want what I want. I just sold my Porsche Spyder and had black rims, it totally tied to entire cars together, gave it a much more aggressive look.

You also mentioned that the Saleen is 50 state emissions legal, will that go for the 351X as well? The Roush 700 HP Aluminator option is not CA emission legal so that's a problem for me. I know you can always load a after market tune, but that's a PITA. I hoping that since Saleen is a CA company it is CA legal for the 351X. I guess I'm just going to have to be patient and wait and see what the 351X comes out as. I really want to see examples, colors, options etc... but one thing for sure, it will be unique and rare and that's is what I'm looking for:)

pcw
Old 04-23-2013
Administrator

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 04-23-2013
SOEC Member

Not that it looks bad in picture, but the wheels look much better in person IMO, and also look different between colors of the cars. Depending on where you stand when the light hits it, the color changes. Don't believe anyone has a wheel like this. Also the hood looked very nice as well. There is a lot of different angles involved. I'd rock both if they were available.
C&L intake
Kenny Bell BAP
SCT Tuner
Tuned by Bob Kurgan @ GTR
Steeda upper & lower control arms
Steeda Adj panhard
Stifflers subframes and g load (Look at 5.0 Mustang Mag for suspension article) May 2013
Gran DS loops
Hawk pads
Old 04-24-2013
SOEC Member

i'm a big fan of the new kit but no more cast alloy rims. Can't we get a decent forged one piece? Or would that drive the cost up too much?
Old 04-24-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflagsc View Post
i'm a big fan of the new kit but no more cast alloy rims. Can't we get a decent forged one piece? Or would that drive the cost up too much?
I hear you there, those things weigh a lot! I been thinking about buying a forged wheel, but other things are more important. I have forged wheels for the track, so that helps. Still a really big fan of the old 5 spoke. That wheel is world famous! Wonder if they could make one with thinner spokes. Also 20's look good on the street but are limited in the tire market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
C&L intake
Kenny Bell BAP
SCT Tuner
Steeda Adj panhard
Stifflers subframes and g load (Look at 5.0 Mustang Mag for suspension article) May 2013
Gran DS loops
Hawk pads
Old 04-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legallyfast View Post
Not that it looks bad in picture, but the wheels look much better in person IMO, and also look different between colors of the cars. Depending on where you stand when the light hits it, the color changes. Don't believe anyone has a wheel like this. Also the hood looked very nice as well. There is a lot of different angles involved. I'd rock both if they were available.
Is the 351X picture that Jim provided have the new Black Chrome wheels? If so, I didn't even notice them before, I was thinking they were the chrome wheels with a dark reflection or a shadow across them.

pcw
Old 04-24-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Is the 351X picture that Jim provided have the new Black Chrome wheels? If so, I didn't even notice them before, I was thinking they were the chrome wheels with a dark reflection or a shadow across them.

pcw
In the light there seems to also be a hint of blue. Way cooler than people are seeing in just a picture. They pop differently on different color cars. I might get these for mine

C&L intake
Kenny Bell BAP
SCT Tuner
Steeda Adj panhard
Gran DS loops
Hawk pads
Old 04-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legallyfast View Post
In the light there seems to also be a hint of blue. Way cooler than people are seeing in just a picture. They pop differently on different color cars. I might get these for mine

NICE, would love to see them on a GTHIG !!!

pcw
Old 04-24-2013
SOEC Member

I would love to see the engine bay on this 351X. Why hide it, you already showed the SMS rear bumper on the car.
Old 04-24-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS#24Stang View Post
I would love to see the engine bay on this 351X. Why hide it, you already showed the SMS rear bumper on the car.
^ What he said.

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 04-25-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The Shelby I have been looking into is the GT350(R) supercharged 625 HP, 75-78K. You buy a GT from ford and they drop ship it to SAI in Vegas and convent it to a GT350. Since 2011 maybe 400 have been produced. I'm sure the Saleen would have like production numbers as well, of course the GT500 is produced much more than the GT350, Roush and the Saleen. I guess the question I have for you is, what made you go with the Saleen? Also, did you buy from dealer stock or you you order it to your specs? I want to be able to order it just how I want it color, options etc....

pcw
The reason I went with the Saleen is the looks, the power, the handling and the price. I have owned three Saleens since 1989 and I have loved them. I got mine off of a lot. The supercharger had not been installed as yet, but it was slated to have one. Once I purchased the car, Saleen took it back and upgraded it to the 625 HP version. The Black Label comes with **** near every imaginable option from Saleen and I am missing only a couple Ford options. It seems to me, that you could order whatever you wanted, from Saleen and Ford and pay less for the same level of performance and features, than the Shelby. I guess it all comes down to personal preferrence and thickness of wallet. Not only that, but you get to hang with a bunch of awesome people!
Old 04-25-2013

Quote:
The reason I went with the Saleen is the looks, the power, the handling and the price. I have owned three Saleens since 1989 and I have loved them. I got mine off of a lot. The supercharger had not been installed as yet, but it was slated to have one. Once I purchased the car, Saleen took it back and upgraded it to the 625 HP version. The Black Label comes with **** near every imaginable option from Saleen and I am missing only a couple Ford options. It seems to me, that you could order whatever you wanted, from Saleen and Ford and pay less for the same level of performance and features, than the Shelby. I guess it all comes down to personal preferrence and thickness of wallet. Not only that, but you get to hang with a bunch of awesome people!
Yes I did look over the order guide for the 302SSC black label and priced one out, it is about 70K. I want the butterfly induction hood that is not currently an option but I was told by Hans, VP of sales that it would be offered as an option at a later date this year. Wonder how much??? My other conflict is order the starter car with the Recaros (Leather) I was also told that they could embroider them but no striped inserts. How do you like your seats (stock ones?).

pcw
Old 04-28-2013
SOEC Member

I didn't know they offered the Recaros's in the newer cars...lol I love the seats in the car and more importantly, the wife loves them. SHe hated the new edge seats. The current seats maybe stock, but they are remolded and recovered with leather and alacantra. They are a bit more comfortable than the standard Ford seats. The new butterfly hood should be offered later, but for now it will be a limited piece for the 351 owners. I expect it to be an expensive piece... I want one too...lol

When you are talking starter car... are you referring to a White or Yellow label, or a Black label with minimal options?
Old 04-28-2013

Quote:
I didn't know they offered the Recaros's in the newer cars...lol I love the seats in the car and more importantly, the wife loves them. SHe hated the new edge seats. The current seats maybe stock, but they are remolded and recovered with leather and alacantra. They are a bit more comfortable than the standard Ford seats. The new butterfly hood should be offered later, but for now it will be a limited piece for the 351 owners. I expect it to be an expensive piece... I want one too...lol

When you are talking starter car... are you referring to a White or Yellow label, or a Black label with minimal options?
When I say starter car I'm referring to the GT ordered from Ford that Saleen starts with. Thanks for the info.

pcw
Old 04-28-2013
Administrator

If you buy Saleen and decide to order your own chassis from Ford, instead of using a pool car or one from dealer stock, I would suggest sitting in a Recaro equipped V6, GT, Boss or GT500 to see if you like the seating.

If you cannot find a 2010-14 Saleen Black Label Mustang to sit in... find a 2008 or 2009 Saleen S281/S302 to feel the seats.

Seat feel is/can be a sensitive choice from person to person.