The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-07-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help: Saleen HID high beams do not work

I live in a semi rural area and rely on my high beams a lot. I have the HID headlights.

I do not notice any differences with either the high beams on or off. Is this normal?

Thanks for your advice as always.
Old 11-07-2013
Administrator

We may have a thread or two regarding Saleen HID troubleshooting (or we may not).

Check all the wiring for the headlights. Make sure the connections on tight and clean.

If the high beams are still inoperative, check both ballasts.
Old 11-09-2013

Thanks Dave.
Old 11-10-2013
SOEC Member

HID's do not have a real high and low beam. They are one brightness but some have a piece in them that moves to point the bulb up for a simulated high beam. This also acts as the "Flash to Pass" function for DOT. The intensity will not change for HID's. Some applications have a HID bulb with a traditional halogen bulb for high and low. Yours probably has the one described first. I hope this some what helps.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedsaleen View Post
HID's do not have a real high and low beam. They are one brightness but some have a piece in them that moves to point the bulb up for a simulated high beam. This also acts as the "Flash to Pass" function for DOT. The intensity will not change for HID's. Some applications have a HID bulb with a traditional halogen bulb for high and low. Yours probably has the one described first. I hope this some what helps.
You are right Codered, that is why I noticed most of my other cars with HID/Xenon have the normal halogen bulbs in the headlight units also.

And all S197 Saleens with the HID option don't have those separate halogen units?

I haven't had time to check connections yet as Dave suggested, but am always learning more about the new to me Saleen. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-13-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialStang View Post
You are right Codered, that is why I noticed most of my other cars with HID/Xenon have the normal halogen bulbs in the headlight units also.

And all S197 Saleens with the HID option don't have those separate halogen units?

I haven't had time to check connections yet as Dave suggested, but am always learning more about the new to me Saleen. Thanks for your input!
No, they don't have separate halogens. The bulbs extend outward when you trigger the high beams to allow more light the be projected out. Sometimes it doesn't make a huge difference when you trigger them. Only time I notice my high beams is when there is little to no street lamps around. It could also be about time to replace the bulbs in the headlight units. I would go with D1S Osram Xenarc: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=17166. They are $200 but are the best and brightest bulbs you can buy.
Old 11-14-2013
Administrator

Period Saleen Inc advertisement / HID explanation.

Old 11-15-2013

I am beyond impressed Dave! Where do you find all of this stuff?
Old 11-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
No, they don't have separate halogens. The bulbs extend outward when you trigger the high beams to allow more light the be projected out. Sometimes it doesn't make a huge difference when you trigger them. Only time I notice my high beams is when there is little to no street lamps around. It could also be about time to replace the bulbs in the headlight units. I would go with D1S Osram Xenarc: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=17166. They are $200 but are the best and brightest bulbs you can buy.
Thanks xxBoostinxx...I will look into this option.
Old 11-15-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialStang View Post
I am beyond impressed Dave! Where do you find all of this stuff?
We save lots of stuff.