The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-28-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Center exit exhaust?

Was the center exhaust an option for 03-04 sc cars? I'm in market to buy one and have come across two of these lately or did someone upgrade rear fascia and exhaust? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2016
Administrator

Basic answer is:

Center exit was standard on the 2002-2004 S281 Extreme.

It was a feature on most of the 2003 S281 Hollywood Horsepower Editions.

Standard feature on the 2004 S281 Supercharged and optional in the base 2004 S281.

Complex answer is:

Installed on some 1999 S351 models and special request S281 builds. A few owners also converted their S281s to center exhaust years ago.
Old 02-28-2016

Hi Dave thanks for the reply.what was the Hollywood horsepower edition? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 02-29-2016

Default Center Exhaust

As stated above, the Center Exhaust wasn't really considered an option as you would see in the options section in the window sticker...as with chrome wheels, or 10 inch rim upgrade, or speedster package, because they were really meant for the E-cars, but for 04 SC cars this was more of a standard for many. You might see some 03's with this exhaust....a good rule of thumb is if a Center Exhaust came on the car originally, then it probably came with the E-Wing as well, as I have never seen an original center exit exhaust car without an E-Wing/99 S351 wing (big wing). Aside from special orders, as stated above, for me if the car has both, Center Exhaust and E-Wing, odds are it came that way from Saleen. As far as Hollywood Horsepower Mustangs, they were cars emulating the Red Coupe in 2 Fast 2 Furious, and the Silver Convertible in Hollywood Homicide, both having full treatment of Saleen Options, and center exit exhaust. To split hairs I believe the HH cars really refer to the handful of silver verts...one notable change was the larger SALEEN door logos. I am sure there are others on the site that know plenty more about the Hollywood Horsepower cars. If you have pics post some. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2016

Thanks for your input stallion. I called saleen today on the redfire 2003 car. They said it's a legit sc car, but not an HH car. It has the e wing, center exhaust, can't confirm 10 inch rear wheels yet as I haven't seen car yet in person. Saleen could not confirm that they did changes to the car. I'm with stallion I think the changes were done initially when car was built. The rest of car appears all stock.
Old 03-06-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplisskin View Post
Thanks for your input stallion. I called saleen today on the redfire 2003 car. They said it's a legit sc car, but not an HH car. It has the e wing, center exhaust, can't confirm 10 inch rear wheels yet as I haven't seen car yet in person. Saleen could not confirm that they did changes to the car. I'm with stallion I think the changes were done initially when car was built. The rest of car appears all stock.
What is the Saleen serial number?
Old 03-06-2016

270. I left messages with the guy but he never called back. Oh well. Going Tuesday to look at the torch red one 2002 in the classified section.
Old 03-06-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplisskin View Post
270. I left messages with the guy but he never called back. Oh well. Going Tuesday to look at the torch red one 2002 in the classified section.
03-0270 was built in the middle of HH production. May I see photos of this vehicle? It could be an HH car that was missed. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2016

The car is on los Angeles Craiglist under dealer section.pics are on there.
Old 03-10-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Here's a pic of my HH edition Saleen

Let me know if you have any questions, Rick
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01241.JPG  

2003-#313 281 SC Convertible HH edition
Old 03-10-2016

Ah cool thanks for sharing!
Old 03-11-2016
SOEC Member

Certainly looks like a HH car.
Old 03-11-2016
SOEC Member

Was there more than one exhaust tip choice for the center exhaust? I've seen the grated exits and then the version pictured above on the silver convertible.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 03-11-2016

Default Center exhaust tips

I've seen at least 3 versions of tips...small diameter "grated", larger diameter grated, and the one seen above. Most if not all the 02 E's got the "grated" tip, some 03 SC and E got this tip as well, but most 03 and 04 got the above pictured tips. The tips I have actually have Saleen engraved on each tip on the top which are the earlier versions. But I do not believe they were an option per say just two different versions. Probably a little less costly to use a standard tip.
Old 03-11-2016
Administrator

The louvered pipes identify a Borla produced system.
Old 03-11-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStallion View Post
I've seen at least 3 versions of tips...small diameter "grated", larger diameter grated, and the one seen above. Most if not all the 02 E's got the "grated" tip, some 03 SC and E got this tip as well, but most 03 and 04 got the above pictured tips. The tips I have actually have Saleen engraved on each tip on the top which are the earlier versions. But I do not believe they were an option per say just two different versions. Probably a little less costly to use a standard tip.
I have the same exhaust tips that you do. I like the Saleen engraving but I do like those others also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The louvered pipes identify a Borla produced system.
I was wondering what the catback was. A bit too quiet for me, even with the Magnaflow X.
Who produced the other exhaust system?

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 03-11-2016

Default Exhaust tips

Hmm...I do believe Saleen moved away from Borlas in 2000/01...the louvered tips that I have are not the "machine gun" tips from 95-98. Those are "beveled" or "baffled." I'll post a pic soon....but I do believe Saleen used Magnaflow catback from 01 to at least the end of the New Edge platform. They even manufactured the X-pipe section for the 50-state cat pipe (4 stock cats). But if it is anything different I would not be too surprised.
Old 03-11-2016

Default Exhaust tips

Hopefully I did this right....2 pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20151227_161929.jpg  

20151227_161945.jpg  

Old 03-11-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stang View Post
Who produced the other exhaust system?
Magnaflow.

Quote:
Hmm...I do believe Saleen moved away from Borlas in 2000/01...the louvered tips that I have are not the "machine gun" tips from 95-98. Those are "beveled" or "baffled." I'll post a pic soon....but I do believe Saleen used Magnaflow catback from 01 to at least the end of the New Edge platform. They even manufactured the X-pipe section for the 50-state cat pipe (4 stock cats). But if it is anything different I would not be too surprised.
During the New Edge era. Borla cat-backs were used from 1999 through early/mid 2002. Unless the vehicle is an Extreme. Extreme models used Borla kits from 2002 through early 2003.

Magnaflow kits and S281 fenders emblems may have been introduced around the same time frame for S281 & S281 SC models.
Old 03-11-2016

Default Exhaust tips

That is true...the only reason why I put in "real" Magnaflow X-catpipe on was the Magnaflow mufflers were a bit too quiet for me as well. Sounds good with the new x-pipe, but yeah a bit quiet next to an 03 Cobra with no cats ha. I dare to put headers on just to get a little more tone out of my exhaust, but what I love is the unique sound I have with the E. The combo with center exhaust and the built 2v....sounds unlike any other mustang I have ever heard. But again a little quiet :)
Old 03-12-2016
SOEC Member

Man Dave, you know your stuff. Unless you're an extremely convincing bs'er

Quote:
That is true...the only reason why I put in "real" Magnaflow X-catpipe on was the Magnaflow mufflers were a bit too quiet for me as well. Sounds good with the new x-pipe, but yeah a bit quiet next to an 03 Cobra with no cats ha. I dare to put headers on just to get a little more tone out of my exhaust, but what I love is the unique sound I have with the E. The combo with center exhaust and the built 2v....sounds unlike any other mustang I have ever heard. But again a little quiet :)
You have the same exits as I do. My E has shorties and the X pipe but it's just not loud enough for me either. I'm used to a Bassani X and catback with no cats on my other Mustang. That's my kind of combo.
BTW, is your car a black E?

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 03-12-2016

Default E car

Yes, it is...black/charcoal convertible. I have black reps on her now and OEM's put away. I have some pics on here somewhere...there is a 02-04 Extreme thread I have added to...you should post some more of your own pics to celebrate your ownership. I'll throw some more up as well, once I get a good cleaning done. Gotta change my brake pads up front... :/
Old 03-14-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Default anybody ever install this open exhaust kit?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-electric-exhaust-cutout.html?utm_content=Exhaust+-+Other%7CPypes&utm_campaign=05-14%20No%20Years&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&AMID=pypes-electric-exhaust-cutout-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=20044
2003-#313 281 SC Convertible HH edition
Old 03-14-2016

Default Cut outs

I have considered this, but only if I was able to apply this my magnaflow x-pipe as I do not want to cut up the stock cat back nor the stock 4-cat x-pipe which I have put away. I might look more into this in May, but for now leaning more towards refreshing suspension and then I would do some JBA or FR shorties.
Old 06-22-2016

There's a kit on ebay now
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 06-22-2016

Chicago..😡😡😡😡😡