The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name Michigan-built cars from 2010-2012 with the Saleen name. These vehicles do not have tech or parts support by Saleen Automotive in California.

Old 11-05-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default SEMA 2009 Saleen officially unveils 2010 S281 Mustang

After a few teasers photos via Flickr, Saleen Performance Vehicles has finally given us our first live view of its 2010 S281 Mustang. Those initial pictures showed lots of potential, and our positive first impressions were confirmed when we saw the car in person. To put it bluntly, Saleen has perfectly hit the mark with their new design. The modern design flows perfectly with the lines of the 2010 Mustang, even better than with the previous car.

We especially love the rear of the 2010 S281, which essentially fixes the awkward taillight design by extending the rear fenders and recessing the lights. Saleen has done well with the little details too, like the slick-looking shifter and the glowing Saleen emblem in the door panel that replaces the pony logo.

As far as performance goes, Saleen is sticking with what has worked in the past. They have affixed their Series VI supercharger system atop the 4.6L V8, which is good for 485 horsepower and 460 lb-ft torque. The S281 also gets a new Racecraft suspension system, 3.73:1 gears, and 20-inch wheels with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires. Pricing has yet to be announced, but expect MSRP to come in around the mid $60,000 range. Follow the jump for the official press release from Saleen, and check out the official and live photos in the high-res galleries below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/04/s...-s281-mustang/
Old 11-05-2009
SOEC Member

There is a good write up with pix here:
http://www.stangtv.com/forum/saleen-...ails-6047.html
Old 11-05-2009
Suspended Account

ok NOW I want one.
Old 11-05-2009

Mid 60's????

LMAO..good luck with that one, MJsaleeninc.

I'll take the Shelby with a better engine, more hp, and a real warranty for 15 thousand less. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclemilti View Post
Mid 60's????

I'll take the Shelby with a better engine, more hp, and a real warranty for 15 thousand less. Thanks.
Of which Shelby do you speak?

I believe if you check the MSRP of any late model Saleen (08 or 09), you'll find that the price is right in line with them.

And I doubt the Shelby would handle as well.
Old 11-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecoot View Post
Of which Shelby do you speak?

I believe if you check the MSRP of any late model Saleen (08 or 09), you'll find that the price is right in line with them.

And I doubt the Shelby would handle as well.
And how many 08/09 Saleens did, and do you see on eBay or sitting on dealers lots, even when the economy was good?
Mid 60's for a Saleen in this market is ridiculous, pure and simple especially given the warranty BS that current owners were put thru.

The new Shelby is as good, maybe even a better overall car than my 06 281. What it gives up in "handling", -if anything- is more than made up by the forged engine, 6 speed transmission, etc of the Shelby. And, the MSRP is 15,000 less. FIFTEEN THOUSAND..and its a SHELBY.

Everyone knows Ford/Shelby is notorious for inflating the prices of anything with CS's name on it..but they were smart enough to get the price right.

I love my Saleen, but I also am a realist and a car enthusiast in general. I don't see one thing on the new Saleen that would make me pick it over the Shelby for the 15K premium they have tagged it with.

I'm sure I'm not the only Saleen owner that shares that opinion.
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Mid 60's????

I have both, the Saleen's a better driving car and ton's faster with my JDM tune and pulley
Old 11-06-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
And how many 08/09 Saleens did, and do you see on eBay or sitting on dealers lots, even when the economy was good?
Mid 60's for a Saleen in this market is ridiculous, pure and simple especially given the warranty BS that current owners were put thru.

The new Shelby is as good, maybe even a better overall car than my 06 281. What it gives up in "handling", -if anything- is more than made up by the forged engine, 6 speed transmission, etc of the Shelby. And, the MSRP is 15,000 less. FIFTEEN THOUSAND..and its a SHELBY.

I'm sure I'm not the only Saleen owner that shares that opinion.
Look opinions are like .... well you know. Everyone's got one. And you are certainly entitled to yours.

The sticker price on my car was in the sixty's. It is an '08 model. I am not saying that is what I paid for it, just the sticker price. I said that the current pricing is in line with the later year model's MSPR.

It also has forged internals but it's a Saleen (weather it was built when Steve was there or not ... which is another argument). I went with it because of the uniqueness of the model and because I loved the styling.

We can go back an forth on this subject all day and in the end I think all we would do is agree to disagree.

BTW, I too am an enthusiast and enjoy vehicles of all types, including the Shelby.
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

you also need to consider that the saleen is far more exclusive.

apples and oranges

/threadjack Back on topic please
Old 11-06-2009

I love both, but if I could pick up a 2010 Saleen for the same price as a 2010 Shelby I would probably go with the Saleen.
Old 11-06-2009
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy View Post

apples and oranges

As wpgfordguy said back on topic please.
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

We all know that the best customers are repeat customers...right? And for cars like a Saleen. (and Shelby and Roush for that matter) followers are needed to continue to stay around. So, I would say that given the recent and ongoing buyout/warranty turmoil, credibility will be their biggest competition...image rebuilding. My $.02. I am an optimist though, so I hope that all this mess (still waiting on my phone call or PM back from Saleen placed over a week ago) will go away and a reputable company will emerge!
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX144 View Post
so I hope that all this mess (still waiting on my phone call or PM back from Saleen placed over a week ago)
Everyone's at Sema
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

So a company can just SHUT DOWN for a week? wow...must have missed that day during my MBA. I said i'm an optimist and hope it all turns out good...but rebuilding reputation and credibility is key!
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX144 View Post
So a company can just SHUT DOWN for a week? wow...must have missed that day during my MBA. I said i'm an optimist and hope it all turns out good...but rebuilding reputation and credibility is key!

This SEMA launch is critical, all senior personal should be there.
Old 11-06-2009
Inactive Account

I would say they have shut down for the week, the majority of the resources are at SEMA, Jess is aware you need his assistance.

Can we ge this thread back to the subject
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account

no worries...back on topic. Thanks for letting me know Jess is aware. I do like the look of the car though. Would love to hear it with the new exhaust tips on it. Anyone got any sound clips?
Old 11-06-2009
Administrator

Every decisionmaker is here at SEMA -- we've got key clerical at the office, but all sales and decisionmakers are here at SEMA as it can make or break the following year.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 11-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy View Post

apples and oranges

I see almost as many Saleens as I do Shelbys/Roush/etc these days. Are there as many Saleens as Shelbys? Nope...but the 06-up models are definitely more prevalent than they used to be.
Old 11-06-2009
Suspended Account