The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name Michigan-built cars from 2010-2012 with the Saleen name. These vehicles do not have tech or parts support by Saleen Automotive in California.

Old 10-19-2009
Administrator

As long as folks are enjoying themselves... that's all that matters. I know when this thread receives a new post... it gets spied on with a "look what they're saying now" comment.

Regardless on how folks want to cut it. SS was a fairly important component to the cars we celebrate. There where various financial backers, people working in the parts department, engineers, marketers, sales people etc. As a collective they worked to create a whole over the 25 years.

SS is a great marketer. He knows what his cars should be, resonate on sight and could explain in reasonable fashion to the auto scribes and public why we should care.

People who purchased the cars felt they where not only buying an enthusiasts car, but buying into a family atmosphere. One could see this with the files ASC/Saleen dumped out of Irvine on their move to Troy. Various letters, photos, updates written by owners about their Saleens and family. Material 10-15+ years old... but still dumped as garbage. Some purchased these as cars and used them as such, others made their Saleen a family member and felt a connection to share the trials, tribulations, joys and adventure with their Saleen vehicle.

The 2010 MJA/SPV S281 is an interesting Mustang, but at the end of the day... there was more going on then building a cool car.

My only worry for MJA/SPV... is if they listen to the wrong voices about who the owners and enthusiasts are as well as what drives these folks into the purchase of an unnecessary toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacettr View Post
PJ is the best Saleen ever.
/debate
The Saleen Autosport Tempo... hands down winner.
Old 10-19-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
PJ is the best Saleen ever.

/debate
Its a great car no doubt! But the best Saleen ever ?
Old 10-19-2009
Account with Invalid Email

best saleen EVER is "S7" hahahhaahha come on now how can you argue that one
Old 10-19-2009
SOEC Member

I vote for the thunderbird concept
Old 10-19-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Best Saleen Mustang

If you scroll down the thread I had originally stated Best Saleen Mustang just to clarify, somehow that got convoluted. Dave I am in agreement in some ways with you. Yes SS was a great marketer and his company ( with all his employees built a good car ). I would withhold the term great because only time tells certian things. But as far as present marketing strategies concerning MJ, I think you could be off the mark. The money is no object days of the nineties and early 2000 years is a bygone era. SS had the time of his life during these years, but they are over. No more throwing money around at cars like drunken sailors simply because the money is not there anymore. Any shrewd car company that is marketing its wares is looking to build a great car at a lower price, any company that isn't, is living in fantasyland. Yes, there as SS coined it, will always be a "few" but money and company viability is not based on a few, ask Mr. Shelby. So to build a car that appeals to the masses and is reasonably priced- could be the trick of the week.
Old 10-19-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Mineral Grey S281 View Post
Any shrewd car company that is marketing its wares is looking to build a great car at a lower price, any company that isn't, is living in fantasyland.
Shrewd is certainly part of it, but add a big helping of "luck" into the recipe for success. The general public has an incredibly short memory, very fickle tastes, and is very over-reactive. Just look at the "Gas Crisis" of last year. With gas prices skyrocketing, truck and SUV sales were plummeting, and it looked like an automotive era was coming to an end. Gas prices go down again, and truck and SUV sales head back to normal (relatively speaking). I guess what I'm saying is, whatever looks like the perfect recipe right now, may look very different tomorrow...

As you said "time will tell"... I don't plan to be in the market for a new car for quite some time (2018 - I plan these things in advance! ), but it certainly is interesting to watch...

Chris.
Old 10-19-2009

Default 302e

Hey Chris, with your car I'd think I found the holy grail so I don't think I would be looking either. I'm building what you have didn't have the cash to do it all at once. But slowly but surely have been accumulating different pieces to the puzzle and now my grail is almost there.
Old 10-19-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As long as folks are enjoying themselves... that's all that matters. I know when this thread receives a new post... it gets spied on with a "look what they're saying now" comment.

Regardless on how folks want to cut it. SS was a fairly important component to the cars we celebrate. There where various financial backers, people working in the parts department, engineers, marketers, sales people etc. As a collective they worked to create a whole over the 25 years.

SS is a great marketer. He knows what his cars should be, resonate on sight and could explain in reasonable fashion to the auto scribes and public why we should care.

People who purchased the cars felt they where not only buying an enthusiasts car, but buying into a family atmosphere. One could see this with the files ASC/Saleen dumped out of Irvine on their move to Troy. Various letters, photos, updates written by owners about their Saleens and family. Material 10-15+ years old... but still dumped as garbage. Some purchased these as cars and used them as such, others made their Saleen a family member and felt a connection to share the trials, tribulations, joys and adventure with their Saleen vehicle.

The 2010 MJA/SPV S281 is an interesting Mustang, but at the end of the day... there was more going on then building a cool car.

My only worry for MJA/SPV... is if they listen to the wrong voices about who the owners and enthusiasts are as well as what drives these folks into the purchase of an unnecessary toy.

The Saleen Autosport Tempo... hands down winner.
MJ Mustang = Saleen
Steve Saleen = SMS
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 10-20-2009
Administrator

Quote:
MJ Mustang = Saleen
Only if the faithful accept is as such.

Quote:
So to build a car that appeals to the masses and is reasonably priced- could be the trick of the week.
If it appeals to the masses, then the car is not special. If the car is not special... why bother to even start. If the 2010 is half the car when compared to a pre-2010... leads more credence to it being a bogus attempt to answer a question no one is asking.

Quote:
...I am in agreement in some ways with you. Yes SS was a great marketer and his company ( with all his employees built a good car ).
If the employees get the credit for building the company... then they can also take the credit for its failures.

Quote:
The money is no object days of the nineties and early 2000 years is a bygone era.
This was said three times before.

Quote:
Any shrewd car company that is marketing its wares is looking to build a great car at a lower price, any company that isn't, is living in fantasyland.
That's the idea of these cars. Fantasyland. If you're not pushing the edge. Why bother. Cheap product with a SALEEN tag mounted to it is just that. Cheap product.

Quote:
Yes, there as SS coined it, will always be a "few" but money and company viability is not based on a few, ask Mr. Shelby.
At this stage CS is a dog and pony show. FMC drags him out, does some press, and puts him back in his box. With the 2007 GT500 Ford knew how to market the a re-badged SVT Cobra into a signature series car. It wasn't a Shelby GT500 promoted by Dan Gurney. People bought the marketing.

Anyway, those "few" are loyal.
Old 10-20-2009
SOEC Member

Default Gran Turismo

Well, in any case I hope someone at Saleen enters the new S281 into the "SEMA Best of show award" - I would love to see it in Gran Turismo (not that I have actually played the game...).

Chris.
Old 10-20-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-878 View Post
love the "coming soon - to a select few" nice touch of advertising!!
x2

sweet

Jason VIlla
'06 SALEEN SC S281 # 464 white/black
'93 Jeep Wrangler 4:1 5.13s 36s
'06 Ram 2500 5.9l
'12 VW Gli
5.0L Comp Buggy
20' flat bed trailer
Old 10-20-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:

If it appeals to the masses, then the car is not special. If the car is not special... why bother to even start. If the 2010 is half the car when compared to a pre-2010... leads more credence to it being a bogus attempt to answer a question no one is asking.

If the employees get the credit for building the company... then they can also take the credit for its failures.

This was said three times before.

That's the idea of these cars. Fantasyland. If you're not pushing the edge. Why bother. Cheap product with a SALEEN tag mounted to it is just that. Cheap product.

At this stage CS is a dog and pony show. FMC drags him out, does some press, and puts him back in his box. With the 2007 GT500 Ford knew how to market the a re-badged SVT Cobra into a signature series car. It wasn't a Shelby GT500 promoted by Dan Gurney. People bought the marketing.

Anyway, those "few" are loyal.
Agree on all accounts Dave.

Jason VIlla
'06 Ram 2500 5.9l
'12 VW Gli
5.0L Comp Buggy
20' flat bed trailer
Old 10-20-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06saleenX View Post
I for one bought a saleen for its "IN YOUR FACE" "POW" "WHAT IS IT?" styling, steve saleens racing heritage, and his VISION. "power in the hands of a few"

what i see from these little pics are so DETUNED, basic, affordable? who cares, sleeper= NO THANKS , ive said it before buy a freakin base mustang an put wheels, a spoiler, an sc it there ya go..

you need to STICK to the original formula an stop with this "BASIC" "SIMPLE" mode

the second set of teaser pics are ok, still not buying it on my end, i want the wild styling, wheres the tray wing on the back? hahahahahahha sorry but i like it on my model some dont.

another killer for me is how they've turnd the aftermarket parts bin upside down to where anyone can just buy all my car parts an there they go, a FALEEN.. an will most likely pose it off as a real one

sorry if im step'n on toes but a SALEEN is not a True SALEEN without THE original STEVE SALEEN

I Also agree 100% with these statments...for what it's worth

Jason VIlla
'06 Ram 2500 5.9l
'12 VW Gli
5.0L Comp Buggy
20' flat bed trailer
Old 10-20-2009

Default Response

To respond: "if the car appeals to the masses it is not special" Come on Dave, I'll give you an example: Did you ever hear of a Boss 302? It appealed to the masses, WAS realitively cheap and a very SPECIAL automobile.
As far as the employees of Saleen go... Did they receive the same profits and dividends that the hierarchy exponged? I think not. So fair credit for failure has to be doled out accordingly. The old addage may apply here: "the fish rots from the head down".
Fantasyland is a good term, but do you really think there are enough customers out there to buy into Fantasyland? Remains to be seen....
Also, Do you really consider the MJ/Saleen A CHEAP PRODUCT? Cheap on who's level? Bill Gates?? How can anyone derive what kind of product this car will be by seeing 3 partial pics? From what I know, the guys at SPV deserve better than just being browbeat, they are a great bunch of guys attempting to renew something with some very good automobiles. We are not giving them credit for what they are doing, remember this IS their first year.
As far as Mr. Shelby/ Mr. Saleen goes.... they both have built great cars over the years. I would have to think Mr. Shelby's first foray into building cars far overshadowed anything Mr. Saleen has done, or will do. His Cobra's, Mustang's and GT40's are not in the same conversation as what Mr. Saleen built ( although I think Mr. Saleen did build some very good cars. His cars just don't stack up). Mr. Shelby is an automotive icon and deserves the accolades he receives. And hopefully, someone will bring up the S-7 ( a great car) but how many times did it win at LeMans? I am not trying to beat up on Mr. Saleen. I think he was quite a good auto builder in his day, but if you are about to put Mr. Shelby in a box, Is Mr. Saleen far behind??? Hmmmm.....
Old 10-20-2009
SOEC Member

So the real question here(in my oppinion) is this... If you were in the market for a new specialty mustang right now. Would you buy the SMS car or the Saleen? Or would you go for the Shelby? If you were going to buy one, which one would you buy?
Old 10-20-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
So the real question here(in my oppinion) is this... If you were in the market for a new specialty mustang right now. Would you buy the SMS car or the Saleen? Or would you go for the Shelby? If you were going to buy one, which one would you buy?
The one offered in yellow!

Actually, that is a good question. Will SPV continue to offer the custom paint option? I know that SMS does (or at least, lists a price for it), and Shelby does not. And to follow on to that question, whatever happened to the Troy paint facility - reputed to be "one of the best in America"? I don't believe MJ purchased it (at least, it was still on the "for sale" menu after the Saleen purchase) - is it mothballed and still owned by HP, or owned by a bank now?

Chris.
Old 10-20-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Come on Dave, I'll give you an example: Did you ever hear of a Boss 302? It appealed to the masses, WAS realitively cheap and a very SPECIAL automobile.
The Boss 302 did not appeal to the masses. Different era of vehicles when the automotive culture of this country was still leaning heavy toward domestic brands. In terms of '69-'70 Mustangs, the MACH 1 styling package appealed to the masses.

Quote:
As far as the employees of Saleen go... Did they receive the same profits and dividends that the hierarchy exponged? I think not. So fair credit for failure has to be doled out accordingly. The old addage may apply here: "the fish rots from the head down".
Depending on the employee, they'd steal off the production line or parts department. What's the difference. Theft is theft. Most employees in any given company are replaceable. Most think they're special, few actually are. Cogs in a wheel that's part of a machine. Cogs are frequently replaced.

Quote:
Fantasyland is a good term, but do you really think there are enough customers out there to buy into Fantasyland? Remains to be seen....
Hyundai's would still look like Hyundai's if people wanted boring cars styled as toasters. People who spend $15,000.00 on custom paint... want Fantasyland even more. Spoils of success... or to live with a full-size HotWheels car.

Quote:
Also, Do you really consider the MJ/Saleen A CHEAP PRODUCT?
No. When the 2010 S281 debuts, those comments can be made if need be. If the detail items are not present, if the car does not feature interesting intricacies, and if MS doesn't give a speech as to why anyone should care about this new product... I will consider it cheap.

Quote:
From what I know, the guys at SPV deserve better than just being browbeat, they are a great bunch of guys attempting to renew something with some very good automobiles. We are not giving them credit for what they are doing, remember this IS their first year.
Their rocky start was their own doing.

Quote:
As far as Mr. Shelby/ Mr. Saleen goes.... they both have built great cars over the years. I would have to think Mr. Shelby's first foray into building cars far overshadowed anything Mr. Saleen has done, or will do. His Cobra's, Mustang's and GT40's are not in the same conversation as what Mr. Saleen built ( although I think Mr. Saleen did build some very good cars. His cars just don't stack up).
Bias, or you bought into the Shelby marketing. Ford Motor Company was a too important factor in CS 1960s party.

The GTs were their (FMC) cars. Firms like Holman Moody and Bill Stroppe can take the re-engineered, winning, Ford GT credit and success as well.

Quote:
Mr. Shelby is an automotive icon and deserves the accolades he receives.
Not really. He was a ruthless business man, who had a brief racing career, and was in the right place, in the right time, with the right idea at the dawn of the 1960s.

He didn't race his creations and he didn't build his creations. The Mustangs were forced upon him and the revamped GT was Ford's billion dollar out-sourced project.

Quote:
And hopefully, someone will bring up the S-7 ( a great car) but how many times did it win at LeMans?
Ford won LeMans with the GT. Ford's money, Ford's car, with an outsource of teams and crews.

And again... different eras. Bringing a vehicle to market like the S7 in 2000 was a much daunting task then building a Cobra in 1962.

Quote:
I am not trying to beat up on Mr. Saleen. I think he was quite a good auto builder in his day, but if you are about to put Mr. Shelby in a box, Is Mr. Saleen far behind??? Hmmmm.....
The SMS 570 and 460 indicate to me... that Phil Frank & SS are thinking outside the box... with these limited edition, cohesive, imaginative, performance vehicles. Fantasyland is rockin'.
Old 10-21-2009

Default Opinions

Dave, I respect the opinions you have on different prior topics but you have your opinions and I have mine. That's what makes the world go round. I just find that although this is a Saleen Forum that a lot of times there is bias toward anyone that does not believe Steve Saleen is god. I feel that as long as everyone stays civil and tries to speak his or her own opinions other members can get good info. Dave, I do not know your history with Mr. Saleen but it does sound like there is something there. If there is, well sorry if I get you upset personally, but I have differing views than you. I also have been around Ford's and racing my whole life. There probably hasn't been too many older Mustangs I have not owned over the many years I have been wrenching and driving America's favorite ponycar. Maybe the Saleen experience is not for me because at times I feel that the way people buy Saleen's is to pay a lot of money and have them built already or at least that is the perception I am getting. Hmmm... Spend a whole lot of money ( modding a car) when I can use the same parts and do it myself and enjoy the car more because I built it. I have owned a 70 Boss 302 for 28 years now and have turned every bolt on that car and that is what I am most proud of.. I did all the work on that car. If you can't do things yourself ,hey it's great to have the Saleen's and Shelby's out there but, nothing is like using your own creativity and workmanship.
Old 10-21-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:

SMS all the way - the 2010 Saleen - looks like a mustang w/ a rice kit on it and its HP is below the previous models !!! As for the Shelby - it feels like I would just being buying the name only. You get a car that goes fast in a single line, however the suspension of going left and right is very questionable. On the top of its price point being highly inflated and the fact that they are not as exclusive as the Saleens or SMS's. Obvious answer !!
Old 10-21-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedS281SC View Post
SMS all the way - the 2010 Saleen - looks like a mustang w/ a rice kit on it and its HP is below the previous models !!! As for the Shelby - it feels like I would just being buying the name only. You get a car that goes fast in a single line, however the suspension of going left and right is very questionable. On the top of its price point being highly inflated and the fact that they are not as exclusive as the Saleens or SMS's. Obvious answer !!
What? Which Saleen model are you referring to? The 2010 Saleen S281, aside from a few "teaser" shots, hasn't been officially unveiled, yet (it looks pretty badass, at least from what I can tell in the aforementioned photos). HP is below previous models? If you're privy to Saleen's upcoming vehicle lineup, please share! Of course, I assume you're referring to the Saleen 435S. Jess Albright has stated MJ's intent with this model, and it seems as though some still don't get it.
Old 10-21-2009
Administrator

Quote:
...the 2010 Saleen - looks like a mustang w/ a rice kit on it and its HP is below the previous models!!!
We need to be fair to the 2010 S281. Still have some time before its unveiled. Most engineering elements of this vehicle (as well as the 435 S) are familiar.

Quote:
Dave, I respect the opinions you have on different prior topics but you have your opinions and I have mine. That's what makes the world go round.
Correct. I have no issue. Go U.S.A.!
Old 10-21-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZ View Post
What? Which Saleen model are you referring to? The 2010 Saleen S281, aside from a few "teaser" shots, hasn't been officially unveiled, yet (it looks pretty badass, at least from what I can tell in the aforementioned photos). HP is below previous models? If you're privy to Saleen's upcoming vehicle lineup, please share! Of course, I assume you're referring to the Saleen 435S. Jess Albright has stated MJ's intent with this model, and it seems as though some still don't get it.
I get it. However, the racecraft inspired 435s missed the mark in alot of ways. Hopefully the 2010 S281 will pack a powerful punch capable of owning the new GT500 in a straight line or on the track. They've had ample time for R&D, so my expectations are high for the unveiling of this new model. Btw anyone questioning the power or handling of the 2010 GT500 should refer to the October issue of Motor Trend.
Old 10-21-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
I get it. However, the racecraft inspired 435s missed the mark in alot of ways. Hopefully the 2010 S281 will pack a powerful punch capable of owning the new GT500 in a straight line or on the track. They've had ample time for R&D, so my expectations are high for the unveiling of this new model. Btw anyone questioning the power or handling of the 2010 GT500 should refer to the October issue of Motor Trend.
I definitely agree, my friend!
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:

My bad - I was talking about the 435S - i was confused !! I will keep my fingers crossed for S281.
Old 10-22-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctann View Post
Will SPV continue to offer the custom paint option?
Jess Albright should know. Considering though, the custom colors are connected to SS... not sure if they want to celebrate his legacy. Maybe MJA can create new colors with new stories/connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctann View Post
And to follow on to that question, whatever happened to the Troy paint facility - reputed to be "one of the best in America"? I don't believe MJ purchased it (at least, it was still on the "for sale" menu after the Saleen purchase) - is it mothballed and still owned by HP, or owned by a bank now?
Jess Albright should know. MJA did briefly take up residence in the Phil Frank interior designed Ford GT plant of Troy.

Quote:
They've had ample time for R&D, so my expectations are high for the unveiling of this new model.
Suspension, shifter, braking, differential etc is all carryover from the previous generation. The charger has minor updates, but not much to R&D for a 2010.
Old 10-22-2009

Default 2010 s281

Just curious Dave how do you know so much about the S281 before its unveiling? Most of us know nothing or very little about the specs on this "new" car. Where are you getting your info from? Or is this speculation? It just seems to me this thread has seemed very one-sided BTW thanks MARZ for chiding in- it seemed I was arguing my point alone... ahhh see there are people out there that are for SPV doing well, not just SS cronies praying for their demise. I feel competition with new cars will only breed better quality automobililes as customers look to see and educate themselves on which marque may suit their individual lifestyle. More competition= better cars and more options (vehicles) to choose from.
Dave, ready for dissection!
Old 10-22-2009
Inactive Account

Guys can we get this thread back on track. It was opened to get our opinion on the 2010 S281. As Jess indicated the final and official details will not be released until SEMA.
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Suspension, shifter, braking, differential etc is all carryover from the previous generation. The charger has minor updates, but not much to R&D for a 2010.
I see. I was hoping they researched which gears would compliment the setup the best. I've seen when 3.55 gears made for better acceleration when compared to 3.73's or 4.10's. Also, the braking was never impressive even with the upgraded brakes. A few changes I hope to see in addition to gears and brakes are a possible 6-speed option on S281sc's, front splitter option, 19" wheel option, amongst other exterior mods (including the aggressive looking SC hood which should be standard even on the RF/AF or N/A models). The car should appeal to the masses with a production number and price tag to target "a few".

If I haven't stated so already, I like the overall look of the S281 seen in the teasers. Was never a big fan of the spoiler on the 05-09 but this model looks like it may need one. Otherwise, it looks to share the same DNA with the previous model. Good job Jess & team :)

Last edited by NeoS281; 10-23-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Dave, Maybe the Saleen experience is not for me because at times I feel that the way people buy Saleen's is to pay a lot of money and have them built already or at least that is the perception I am getting. Hmmm... Spend a whole lot of money ( modding a car) when I can use the same parts and do it myself and enjoy the car more because I built it. If you can't do things yourself ,hey it's great to have the Saleen's and Shelby's out there but, nothing is like using your own creativity and workmanship.
I am perfectly capable of building a car my self in my garage at my own time. The problem is it would take years to complete. You see I have a very busy schedule with not alot of free time that I could devote to this, although I would love to and plan to later in my life. That being said, did we all just pay too much money?? I couldnt disagree more, we have limited production, documented and numbered vehicles, we have forums and enthusiest clubs and sites dedicated to our passion and most importantly we have Saleens. Gerat cars! I love nothing more than the once or twice a month I go out and uncover my car and take it for a ride, the amount of aftermarket parts you would need in cosmetics alone to make a GT stand out next to my car at your local grocery store would cost a fortune. Could you built a GREAT looking car that was fsater? Sure. COuld you built one that was better looking? Yes, maybe. Could you do both of these and keep the cost significantly under what I paid for my beautiful, fast car? I seriously doubt it. And furthermore if you did, You would have a GT. 10 years from now which car would bring more money on the open market? Which car would have documentation to show its rareity? Which car would have a history that can be bought into and documented? Which car would have specialty book values to justify spending the money and not just simply buying an unmodified same age GT and "doing it all yourself"? The answer to all of those questions is THE SALEEN and I'm 99% sure you will be able to throw the SMS into that answer also. Anyone can take a stock car and build it to be better and or faster, but then your missing the whole point. Please refer to the post about "why you bought your Saleen" a question asked by a student for a paper he is writing. Do you think he could write a whole term paper about "why you bought a car and modified it" ?
Old 10-22-2009
Inactive Account

Again I say can we get back to the reason this thread was started.....opinion of the S281. Like, dislike, what would you change, etc....
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
Again I say can we get back to the reason this thread was started.....opinion of the S281. Like, dislike, what would you change, etc....
I agree, and I answered that question already, maybe we should start a new thread as it seems people have alot to say off the original topic.
Old 10-22-2009

Default N/a s281

Just to clarify Justin, I do not own a GT I own an 2005 S281 N/A and I was referring to converting the N/A car into the E-car not converting a GT. Just for clarification purposes only. Sorry for going off topic, Greg
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Just to clarify Justin, I do not own a GT I own an 2005 S281 N/A and I was referring to converting the N/A car into the E-car not converting a GT. Just for clarification purposes only. Sorry for going off topic, Greg
I'm not upset just putting my thoughts out there, for the record tho the line reads "Maybe the Saleen experience is not for me because at times I feel that the way people buy Saleen's is to pay a lot of money and have them built already or at least that is the perception I am getting", so I assumed you were talking about Saleens in general, not just S/C saleens. You have a much better point if talking about just adding the blower and/or hood and other unique things that come with the S/C car but still I really dont think that saves you money or pride from sense of ownership.If you are indeed going to add those things anyways....
Old 10-22-2009
Banned

Here are a couple more.

These photos are from Saleen Speedlab Facebook page -- Saleen Forums Admin

Attached Images

Last edited by Saleen Forums Admin; 10-23-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Add photo source
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Mars,

it's really exciting to see those photos! I really like the new seat design. Can't wait to see it as a whole.
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member

that yellow one in the back of the pic looks SWEET!!!
Old 10-22-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
that yellow one in the back of the pic looks SWEET!!!
You beat me to it! Anyway, I call dibs!
Old 10-22-2009

Default S281

It looks like SPV just set the bar very high! It looks like your competition has some catching up to do! That car is HOT!!!
Old 10-22-2009
Suspended Account

Default Wtf

Am I out of the loop, I thought these guys dishonored all our warranties. Now they build new cars?
Old 10-22-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Dave, ready for dissection!
I don't own a stake in either. Doesn't make a difference to me who does what on a new car sales/offering standpoint.

By offering a new product, by a new company with a familiar name with a selection of carryover parts... MJA bought visibility in the marketplace.

Since SMS Supercars follows the traditions set by he vehicles produced by Saleen Autosport and Saleen Performance, with this fleet of historical performance products behind them aided by a Phil Frank penned design... it's the natural winner and heir to the legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnis0922 View Post
Am I out of the loop, I thought these guys dishonored all our warranties. Now they build new cars?
Yes. MJA did announce they honor warranties on previous product again, but you'll have to contact Jess Albright to find a local dealer who will be willing to service the car.

Work with Jess Albright first. SMS Supercars second. Rule-of-Thumb.
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
MJ Mustang = Saleen
Steve Saleen = SMS
Quote:

Nope. FACT is that the brand owned by MJA = SALEEN, and thus is the brand name.

Steve Saleen's new company (the one he hasn't left high and dry) = SMS, and thus is the brand name.

COMPLETELY disagree. It should appeal to the masses, but not be obtainable by the masses.

A Ferrari appeals to the masses, but not everyone can own one...

True for ANY product (IMO Roush makes a "cheap" product); although IMO the 435S is EXACTLY what it is intended to be and is truer to the original "spirit" of a Saleen than say an E...

Agree 101%...
Quote:
Not really. He was a ruthless business man, who had a brief racing career, and was in the right place, in the right time, with the right idea at the dawn of the 1960s.

He didn't race his creations and he didn't build his creations. The Mustangs were forced upon him and the revamped GT was Ford's billion dollar out-sourced project.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

The SMS 570 and 460 indicate to me... that Phil Frank & SS are thinking outside the box... with these limited edition, cohesive, imaginative, performance vehicles. Fantasyland is rockin'.
They indicate to me that they only came up with one idea and applied it to the Mustang AFTER they applied it to the Challenger...

Quote:
I see. I was hoping they researched which gears would compliment the setup the best. I've seen when 3.55 gears made for better acceleration when compared to 3.73's or 4.10's.

Quote:
I don't own a stake in either. Doesn't make a difference to me who does what on a new car sales/offering standpoint.

By offering a new product, by a new company with a familiar name with a selection of carryover parts... MJA bought visibility in the marketplace.

Since SMS Supercars follows the traditions set by he vehicles produced by Saleen Autosport and Saleen Performance, with this fleet of historical performance products behind them aided by a Phil Frank penned design... it's the natural winner and heir to the legacy.
Someone sold out their legacy IMO.
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 10-23-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Here are a couple more.
We need to clarify that these photos are from the Saleen Speedlab Facebook page.

Always give the source for photos and stories, please.
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Hey pacettr,

The point I was trying to make is I had hoped Saleen paid attention to all the small things that focuses on the S-cars performance. The end :)

Last edited by NeoS281; 10-23-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2009

Default S281

Ok Jess, we've seen the pics how 'bout the specs? Does this killer looking car do the dance also? It looks mean. I'm hoping performance is there also, and maybe a couple of different variations of models. N/A , S/C, E, etc.?
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

I thought we were back on subject there for a minute... I love the new pics, thanks for posting. I have to wonder what is so special about the mid point of the car that they are keeping from us, is it just me or does every spy photo just show the corners?? I can see a glimpse of the yellow one and it looks sweet, great decals and something is going on with the b pillar there that looks pretty unique.
Old 10-23-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen Forums Admin View Post
We need to clarify that these photos are from the Saleen Speedlab Facebook page.

Always give the source for photos and stories, please.
I actually got them from The Mustang Source's forums. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2009
Banned

Quote:
I thought we were back on subject there for a minute... I love the new pics, thanks for posting. I have to wonder what is so special about the mid point of the car that they are keeping from us, is it just me or does every spy photo just show the corners?? I can see a glimpse of the yellow one and it looks sweet, great decals and something is going on with the b pillar there that looks pretty unique.
I think the yellow one you're referring to is actually an S7 on a lift. :) Otherwise, I think that Saleen wants to leave something to the imagination for the official unveiling at SEMA in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
You would have to realize that the 2008 302 Extreme cars were already conceived and in the incubator by the time the 2007 PJ car and its 302 had been created. While the PJ was to be the only 302 vehicle in 2007 to pay a homage to Parnelli as well as ensure the exclusivity of the 302 in the lineup, adding the 302 to others in the lineup in 2008 was the next step in the evolution of that generation of Saleen Mustangs. In other words, don't think that Steve didn't have anything to do with the 302E when the foundation and the plans were already established, because that's not the case.
I agree, the time in between Steve's departure and the release of the 302E lineup would support this statement. From Concept to Dealer doesn't just happen over night in the auto industry, it is thought out far in advance...

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

That is an S7... good eye, I was too busy trying to see what it looked like.
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
That is an S7... good eye, I was too busy trying to see what it looked like.
I still call dibs!