The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name Michigan-built cars from 2010-2012 with the Saleen name. These vehicles do not have tech or parts support by Saleen Automotive in California.

Old 10-02-2009
Saleen Staff Users

Default 2010 Saleen S281 Teaser Pics

Check out teaser pics of the new S281 on our Facebook Page or at our Flicker page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saleen_speedlab/

Thank you
Jess
Old 10-02-2009
Inactive Account

From what I can see it Like it, you took away some of the negative features of the standard 2010. Any specs on options and motors?
Old 10-02-2009
Saleen Staff Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
Any specs on options and motors?
We will anounce all that at SEMA!

Thank you
Old 10-02-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default 2010 s281

Awesome job with what I can see Jess! I am curious I asked the question on FB is there going to be different HP offerings as in the past such as 3V, S/C, Extreme ,Etc.? Also when can I purchase #01 from you guys? I have been an avid supporter of Saleen Inc. from the start, I want it to go in good hands (MINE) LOL. Finally someone listened about the rear end, what a improvement! Transformers it's not!
Old 10-03-2009
Suspended Account

saaweeeet!
Old 10-03-2009
SOEC Member

wow, better than the SMS rearend IMO. I guess they can now truly say "Unmistakenly Saleen!"
Old 10-03-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Albright View Post
Check out teaser pics of the new S281 on our Facebook Page or at our Flicker page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saleen_speedlab/

Thank you
Jess
now thats the only rearend design thats actually beautifull, and im sure m/j will have more than just pictures! nice going jess, wish i could make it to sema.
Old 10-03-2009
Administrator

Does the forward facing hoodscoop & bulge feed a Supershaker induction package... or something similar for air induction from the scoop?
Old 10-03-2009
Administrator

... I ask because I see that Jim-the-III talked about fitting a new hood to the Speedlab car, and it currently features a Supershaker.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=6196
Old 10-03-2009
Saleen Staff Users

Not the same hood as in the pics. It is a new hood, but it's different than the one on the S281 in the pics. We will release details of that hood soon!

Thank you
Jess
Old 10-03-2009

Default Hood

Hey Jess, I know you said you will be posting details about the hood soon so I'm going to be a pain... can this hood be used with the 05-09 cars to give them a more modern look? I am getting ready to buy a hood for my 05 before I trade it in (Hint! Hint!) and I am wondering if I should wait before I purchase a glass hood or not. Also this hood wont be in the KR Hood price will it? Thanks for your patience....
Old 10-04-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Albright View Post
Not the same hood as in the pics. It is a new hood, but it's different than the one on the S281 in the pics. We will release details of that hood soon!

Thank you
Jess
Jess, PLEASE .... no butterflies.
Old 10-04-2009
Saleen Staff Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Mineral Grey S281 View Post
Hey Jess, I know you said you will be posting details about the hood soon so I'm going to be a pain... can this hood be used with the 05-09 cars to give them a more modern look? I am getting ready to buy a hood for my 05 before I trade it in (Hint! Hint!) and I am wondering if I should wait before I purchase a glass hood or not. Also this hood wont be in the KR Hood price will it? Thanks for your patience....
No, the hood from the 2010 will not work with 05-09 cars, Fenders are different. Sorry. As far as being in the KR hood price range the answer is no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecoot View Post
Jess, PLEASE .... no butterflies.
You don't have to worry about that!!

Thank you
Jess
Old 10-04-2009
SOEC Member

how about those rims..they look pretty sweet from what I can see. Would they hapeens to be a forged light weight?
Old 10-06-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflagsc View Post
how about those rims..they look pretty sweet from what I can see. Would they hapeens to be a forged light weight?
They look to be the standard 09/Darkhorse Speed Stars...?
Old 10-06-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91386 View Post
They look to be the standard 09/Darkhorse Speed Stars...?
The centers appear deeper, but they do seem similar to the 2009 SpeedStars. This still looks like a digitally constructed vehicle. My eye, but my eye has been mistaken before.
Old 10-06-2009
SOEC Member

the rims on the 435S were a repeat...my inclination is that these will be something new! (at least I hope) I could use a 2010 part on my car to "keep up w/ the jones"
Old 10-06-2009
Administrator

The SpeedStar wheel wasn't seen much outside of eBay.

MJA has an inventory of parts, makes sense to use them during production.

With the flood of 2005-2009 Mustang parts on the Net, most folks will not pay full retail for production equipment from the Speedlab catalog... what to do besides build vehicles with 'em?
Old 10-07-2009
SOEC Member

Jess I think your dealers need an e-mail :D
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 10-09-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I have to admit... the 435S left me wanting more from the new "Saleen", personally, but this... this looks to be an awesome car. I can't wait to see some specs and performance numbers!
Old 10-09-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
I have to admit... the 435S left me wanting more from the new "Saleen", personally, but this... this looks to be an awesome car. I can't wait to see some specs and performance numbers!
From what I have heard there will be unveiling a new Saleen at the Sema Show in Vegas that offers more than the 435S.
Old 10-10-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiSaleen View Post
From what I have heard there will be unveiling a new Saleen at the Sema Show in Vegas that offers more than the 435S.
Yes, SimiSaleen, a teaser of the "Saleen" S281 SEMA show car is pictured way above -- that's not the 435S seen at the Queen Mary show, though it looks like it shares the same Classic Design Concepts style rear deck panel http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=173

Autoblog has the various S281 teaser computer images handy in a recent story http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/08/2...of-sema-debut/ so you may want to check that out or the flicker link above that Jess posted.
Old 10-10-2009
Account with Invalid Email

That is the first rear view of a 2010 Mustang I have seen that looks decent. I didn't care for SMS's version, and I sure don't care for Ford's stock design.
Old 10-10-2009

Default S281

SPV has set the bar real high as far as what we have seen them do with the back of the 2010 S281. I personally would have never had thought of getting rid of my 05 for a 2010 model (I felt the back of the car was hideous) SPV has changed my mind! I am hoping that the rest of the car is as hot ( looks, performance and price) to entice me to trade in the beast I am now in the process of completing. I love the car I have, it is everything I could have hoped for, but this car sure looks like the real deal! After having a 70 Boss 302 for 28 years my 05 puts it to shame in every way. I spent thousands to make the 70 go the way I wanted it to, but the 05 on every level will outperform it, and it is civilized P/S, P/B ,Air and it simply has the look. SPV you guys are building the next layer in Mustang History! Set the bar high!
Old 10-11-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer View Post
That is the first rear view of a 2010 Mustang I have seen that looks decent. I didn't care for SMS's version, and I sure don't care for Ford's stock design.

The SMS Mustang will be awesome. Just wait until you see it in person. I was at the SMS show in Sept and I am still drooling over the Challenger they are building. Everything they do will be first class all the way!
Old 10-11-2009
Administrator

Regardless of either designs... it will come down to marketing and a supportive dealer network for success.

With the economic fallout, a few Ford dealers went under, while others have no plan to continue stocking a "specialty" vehicle once the leftovers are sold.

MJA needs to rebuild a dealer network (contrary to the out-of-date listing on the company site) while SMS needs to establish one from scratch.

After that... the next challenge will revolve around a willing support system to supply knock-down GTs for conversion. Does the pool-car method continue, or will it primarily work off dealers drop-ships (or pre-purchased cars).

Next will be status. With both go for Manufacturers status... or will they be Tuners. Are the cars produced in-house... or will they be out-sourced to a third-party.

For SMS, they produced the 570 & 570X this past summer with a meager supply of Challengers in the lovely Corona campus and currently floored by a selection of Dodge Dealers across the country... though delays meant a Mustang production line could not be created before the end of summer.

For MJA, they need to move out of the Phil Frank modeled Ford GT assembly plant in Troy... and set up a reasonable sized shop in MI. Two out-sourced 435S made their debut during MustangWeek and a third was converted after-the-fact using a shop car. While JDM has the Speedlab 2010 car that will or will not be the SEMA S281 debut vehicle.

Both have challenges ahead of them.
Old 10-11-2009
SOEC Member

I agree Dave!!! Plus I hope they don't forget about past customers and focus on future customers only. IMO
(6/2005) Purchased 05 Saleen #1004 Windveil Blue from Galpin (9/2006) 14" Saleen Brakes, (7/2007) 475hp Supercharger, Guages, Watts Link Suspension, (10/2007) Rear Slotted Rotors, (2/2008) 19" TSW Wheels (Hypersilver), (1/2009) Super Shaker. (4/2012) Back to 20" Saleen Wheels

(10/2007 Morning) 414 RWHP 403 RWTQ w/ Stock Saleen SC Tune w/o Super Shaker (Sold 2/11/2018)

01 Saleen #629 (NA) True Blue (Sold 6/15/07)

SOEC#2092
SOEC#2129

Quick Video http://youtu.be/gkiCgwzJTFE
Old 10-12-2009
SOEC Member

It will be interesting to see the MJA and the SMS vehicles side by side and content vs. price point. As Dave indicated both need to establish a dealer network and marketing strategy; one from scratch; the other to rebuild.

Both companies clearly saw the flaw with the stock 2010 rear end (thank God!).

I think whoever has the right content at the right price with the right customer confidence (warrantee, etc.) will win the most sales!
Old 10-12-2009
SOEC Member

Thats so cool the first one was delivered to Palmetto Ford, I used to go there all the time when i was in high school to check out the 2000 Cobra R they had and i saw my first 03 Cobra there too. They were about 5 miles from my old home in Charleston, SC. My sister even had her first Job there as a receptionist...lol small world
Old 10-13-2009

Well IMO, the 2010 "Saleen" is not a Saleen at all. It does nothing for me. It actually reminds me of the Roush cars from around the mid to late 90's with just stick on front air dams, some wheels and some stickers except the "Saleen" will have more HP over the stock car unlike Roush did back then for several years.

If this is what MJA has planned for the future of the "Saleen", they better do a much better job then that. You figure, they would have to crash test the 2010 several times to completely replace the bumpers and that is why they are not doing that. It would cost them way too much $$$ to do so and being basically and brand new start up company they don't have the funds for that.... that is my thinking of the cheap way around that by just putting a front lower air dam on the car. The side and rear are factory. I think it would have been in there best interest to do it right the first time especially following in the footsteps of the previous car and secured funding to do the testing and modify the car more then what they have planned.

Now sure, you might be paying money for the engine workups for the "Saleen" but you could do something to a stock GT for alot less and prob be faster anyways.

As for Dealer network or rework, I think MJA already had shot themselves in the foot when they took over some of the old "Saleen" and said nope, not going to continue to warranty all the current cars that have warranty. Then Steve did it right in coming out and saying, I will pickup the warranty claims on those cars.

I think SMS will come out on top since it seems to me that Steve is doing it right from the start and MJA did the complete opposite from the start and all current owners of Saleens that had warranty have a sour taste in there mouth regarding the current owners of some parts of the old "Saleen".

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 10-13-2009
Saleen Staff Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayne View Post
Well IMO, the 2010 "Saleen" is not a Saleen at all. It does nothing for me. It actually reminds me of the Roush cars from around the mid to late 90's with just stick on front air dams, some wheels and some stickers except the "Saleen" will have more HP over the stock car unlike Roush did back then for several years.

If this is what MJA has planned for the future of the "Saleen", they better do a much better job then that. You figure, they would have to crash test the 2010 several times to completely replace the bumpers and that is why they are not doing that. It would cost them way too much $$$ to do so and being basically and brand new start up company they don't have the funds for that.... that is my thinking of the cheap way around that by just putting a front lower air dam on the car. The side and rear are factory.
?????????? Did you not look at the pictures that this thread is all about? Please do so and then make a comment, I would like to hear it, even if you still don't like it. We like to hear good and bad responses about the car, everybody is going to have an opinion but at least look before making a statement.

Thank you
Jess
Old 10-13-2009
Administrator

Just in case there is some confusion as to what conceptual images we're really talking about, I've attached the three from flickr below.
Attached Images

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 10-13-2009
SOEC Member

Love the "coming soon - To a select few" nice touch of advertising!!
Old 10-13-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-878 View Post
Love the "coming soon - To a select few" nice touch of advertising!!
Coming Soon! They better hurry because the 2011 Mustang order bank opens next month, New 5.0 and EcoBoost V6 and some changes to the rear of the car.
I already have several orders ready to load.
Tom
Old 10-13-2009

Default S281

Hey Jess, obviously you gave the right answer the reason for this thread is for you guys to get "educated" opinions so you can draw input from them. Even die hard Roush guys here on the Island have to admit, your company is the first to address the horrible rear end issue and make it look good. I don't think a lot of the Roush guys are going to run out tommorrow and order one. Honestly there is a lot of trepidation hovering around Saleen Inc. + SMS (regarding re-emergence of Saleen Inc., the newness of SMS as a viable company and of course, the prior warranty issues). When I speak on behalf of the product all I can say is "let their products speak for themselves". I do not know very much about the SMS Mustang but, what I do know about the Saleen Inc. S281 makes me think it will be an awesome piece of machinery! Mike Shields, Jess and the gang keep working hard, As my Dad always said to me " Hard Work Pays Off!"
Old 10-13-2009
SOEC Member

So far it is the only rear end on the new Mustang that does not look unfinished.
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 10-13-2009

Some how some way I missed the first photo in this thread... maybe from the lack of sleep because of my new little guy lol. I was still commenting from the first pics that were put out a few months ago.

Now with that said, I will say that those look much much better then before.... But still don't like it 100%. I don't know what it is.... Maybe I will be able to figure it out once I can see complete pics of the whole car. Heck, maybe I will like it just the way it is once I see it in person. :)

SOEC Member and Supporter

Last edited by awayne; 10-13-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2009
Administrator

The angle of the 2010 rear drawling... doesn't work for me. If by standing next to a physical model, if it then cuts the rear viewing area in quarters, thirds or in half... then this might work. Short of this... staring at the rear of this car would be similar to ogling the Lane Brayant catalog.

My opinion.
Old 10-16-2009

I for one bought a saleen for its "IN YOUR FACE" "POW" "WHAT IS IT?" styling, steve saleens racing heritage, and his VISION. "power in the hands of a few"

what i see from these little pics are so DETUNED, basic, affordable? who cares, sleeper= NO THANKS , ive said it before buy a freakin base mustang an put wheels, a spoiler, an sc it there ya go..

you need to STICK to the original formula an stop with this "BASIC" "SIMPLE" mode

the second set of teaser pics are ok, still not buying it on my end, i want the wild styling, wheres the tray wing on the back? hahahahahahha sorry but i like it on my model some dont.

another killer for me is how they've turnd the aftermarket parts bin upside down to where anyone can just buy all my car parts an there they go, a FALEEN.. an will most likely pose it off as a real one

sorry if im step'n on toes but a SALEEN is not a True SALEEN without THE original STEVE SALEEN
Old 10-16-2009
SOEC Member

Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06saleenX View Post
I for one bought a saleen for its "IN YOUR FACE" "POW" "WHAT IS IT?" styling, steve saleens racing heritage, and his VISION. "power in the hands of a few"

what i see from these little pics are so DETUNED, basic, affordable? who cares, sleeper= NO THANKS , ive said it before buy a freakin base mustang an put wheels, a spoiler, an sc it there ya go..

you need to STICK to the original formula an stop with this "BASIC" "SIMPLE" mode

the second set of teaser pics are ok, still not buying it on my end, i want the wild styling, wheres the tray wing on the back? hahahahahahha sorry but i like it on my model some dont.

another killer for me is how they've turnd the aftermarket parts bin upside down to where anyone can just buy all my car parts an there they go, a FALEEN.. an will most likely pose it off as a real one

sorry if im step'n on toes but a SALEEN is not a True SALEEN without THE original STEVE SALEEN
Old 10-16-2009

Default Everybody has their own opinion

I can certianly respect the gentleman who have said " A Saleen is not a Saleen without Steve Saleen" if that is the way you feel go buy an SMS Mustang. As for the rest of the people who feel other ways, they will want to educate themselves on what is being offered in the broader scope and make an informed decision based on the facts and not name recognition. As far as I am concerned and I am not looking for an arguement about this, the BEST SALEEN MUSTANG that was ever produced are the 302E cars and I hate to tell you something--- Steve Saleen had already left when they were produced.
Old 10-16-2009
Administrator

Quote:
I can certianly respect the gentleman who have said " A Saleen is not a Saleen without Steve Saleen" if that is the way you feel go buy an SMS Mustang. As for the rest of the people who feel other ways, they will want to educate themselves on what is being offered in the broader scope and make an informed decision based on the facts and not name recognition. As far as I am concerned and I am not looking for an arguement about this, the BEST SALEEN MUSTANG that was ever produced are the 302E cars and I hate to tell you something--- Steve Saleen had already left when they were produced.
You would have to realize that the 2008 302 Extreme cars were already conceived and in the incubator by the time the 2007 PJ car and its 302 had been created. While the PJ was to be the only 302 vehicle in 2007 to pay a homage to Parnelli as well as ensure the exclusivity of the 302 in the lineup, adding the 302 to others in the lineup in 2008 was the next step in the evolution of that generation of Saleen Mustangs. In other words, don't think that Steve didn't have anything to do with the 302E when the foundation and the plans were already established, because that's not the case.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 10-16-2009
SOEC Member

Maybe Im luck my work computer wont let me see the "first pictures" But from Jim D. 's post right above...I love the car. I hope one day that I will add it to my collection.
Old 10-16-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-878 View Post
Maybe Im luck my work computer wont let me see the "first pictures" But from Jim D. 's post right above...I love the car. I hope one day that I will add it to my collection.
Those are all three shots we've seen so far, I was just saving people the confusion to have to go to flickr, which is often blocked at the workplace.

I'd say it's an aggressive look, and it will be interesting to see in person.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 10-16-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
... the BEST SALEEN MUSTANG that was ever produced are the 302E cars and I hate to tell you something--- Steve Saleen had already left when they were produced.
I agree with you about the car . However the S302E is certainly an evolution of the cars that were produced while Steve was there - they may have been built after he left (mine was built 9 months post-Steve's retirement), but the influence is very much of the "Steve Saleen" era...

Chris.
Old 10-16-2009

Default 302e

I fully understand that the 302E cars have his influence ( Steve Saleen ) all over them but being that they were built AFTER he left does this make it a true Saleen??? I know the answer, of course it does. I'm sure Chris would agree and as I already stated the Baddest of them all came out after he left but, it is still a Saleen as will the new evolution of the modified Mustangs be. Whether it is an SMS Mustang or a Saleen Performance Vehicle Mustang IT IS STILL A SALEEN MUSTANG! Or maybe we ought to get out the asterisks, I'm sure Barry Bonds could lend you a few!
Old 10-16-2009
SOEC Member

Default ****

*my car is on performance enhancing drugs*
Old 10-18-2009

when the time comes to order, i most likely will order a SMS over this
as 2010 + has nothing steve saleen in it except his NAME.....

thats my opinion and im sticking too it ;) hahahhahaha

oh and mineral.. of course chris would agree with you HE OWNS ONE DOH!!!!
Old 10-18-2009

Default Opinions

You are correct everyone's entitled to their own opinion. For me when the time comes and I am not sure if that will be 2010 and I buy a new car, I will purchase a car not on whose name is on the side, windshield or bumpers. I will purchase the car that best suits what I want, and I look into a lot of variables - price, styling, performance and handling, and overall best bang for the buck. I only purchased the Saleen I have now not because Steve Saleen had his hands in my engine bay (which I know he didn't) or because he signed my dash ( which he hasn't ). I bought my Saleen because I got an unbelievable deal on my car. That does not detract from the car. It is an awesome car ( eye appeal , performance and handling etc.) but if prices on these cars had remained high which I always felt Saleens in general were very high priced, I would never had purchased one.
I am one of a lucky few who purchased one at the right time and boy is this the right time. Not only did I get a monster deal on my car, the parts that are floating around on the forum sites, E-Bay and privately makes it very easy and I might add, inexpensive to go out and purchase a 3V S281 and turn it into a Saleen Mustang Supercar. It is unbelieveable what parts are out there if you have the saavy to find them. I am not a rich man, so I will never go out and buy one of these high priced special edition Saleens ( Dark Horse, Sterling Edition or 302 E) But having the knowledge I have attained about these cars and I'm not saying I'm an expert you can put one of these together (special edition Saleens) for a lot less than it costs to buy one ( a whole lot less!). So what, my badge says S281 on it and not 302E. If my car has the 302E forged engine, the big S/C, the 6speed trans. and 4.10 rear..... same car, different badging and 10's of thousands less money! And to the purists... IT IS STILL A SALEEN!
Old 10-19-2009
SOEC Member

PJ is the best Saleen ever.

/debate
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List