The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2012 Michigan-Built Mustangs with the Saleen name Michigan-built cars from 2010-2012 with the Saleen name. These vehicles do not have tech or parts support by Saleen Automotive in California.

Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
Mars,

it's really exciting to see those photos! I really like the new seat design. Can't wait to see it as a whole.
Yeah, I absolutly love those seats!!
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

The exhaust looks great. That is the best looking rear end on a 2010 Mustang that I have seen yet!

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 10-23-2009
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-878 View Post
I thought we were back on subject there for a minute... I love the new pics, thanks for posting. I have to wonder what is so special about the mid point of the car that they are keeping from us, is it just me or does every spy photo just show the corners?? I can see a glimpse of the yellow one and it looks sweet, great decals and something is going on with the b pillar there that looks pretty unique.
We did get a little off again but looks like things are back on track
Old 10-23-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
The exhaust looks great. That is the best looking rear end on a 2010 Mustang that I have seen yet!
Yes, sir! While, to me, the new Mustang's rear end isn't a deal breaker, Saleen has fixed all of its controversial elements -- it's hot!
Old 10-23-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Its awesome to see the exhaust diffrence side by side with that stock GT
Old 10-23-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default S281

I think any cynicism about the MJ/SPV Effort can be put in that box. (from before). This car ROCKS! It looks to me that a lot of hard work and thought went into this project, from the top on down (meaning Mgmt. to the Designers to the Fabricators) I sure I missed quite a few levels but great team effort! You can see a lot of forethought and detail went into this unlike the competition who just seemed to throw something together to get it out first. This car is much more evolved and detail oriented.
Transformers it is not. HARD WORK ONCE AGAIN PAYS OFF!
Old 10-23-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZ View Post
I actually got them from The Mustang Source's forums. Thank you.
No. You are the original poster of these photos on Mustang Source as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctann View Post
Quote:
That is an S7... good eye, I was too busy trying to see what it looked like.
I still call dibs!
That's the only real Saleen in the photos.
Old 10-23-2009
Administrator

We'll close this thread for a while so perhaps we can take some time and re-focus...
Old 10-25-2009
Administrator

Hopefully we can pick up again with the S281 discussion.

While there are 25 years of Saleen vehicles that have been touched by Steve, it certainly must be impossible to put ones feet in his shoes and decide what 2010 successor should look like or feel like or behave.

Certainly it can be debated whether or not MJ deserves to call their new vehicle a Saleen -- whether it be in a court of law, or in the court of public opinion. Neither of which we may have a decision on for years to come.

There are those who believe if this 2010 Mustang says "Saleen" it is a Saleen. There are others who believe if a 2010 Mustang is a Saleen, it must say "SMS." There are some that are somewhere in the middle.

It's a fact that is undeniable.

I'm not talking about me, and I'm not talking about SOEC... I'm talking about longtime owners and longtime enthusiasts alike -- people I've talked to, and people who have posted here -- the opinions are all over the landscape.

However, I believe Dave's got a point in saying the S7 is the only "real" Saleen in the photos. At least it's more a Saleen than even a 2005 S281 Mustang or a 2007 PJ, as it's the only one that has been physically touched by Steve from top to bottom, and not starting with a platform from Ford. Though the comment can be perceived as part of the debate mentioned above.

But that's not what this thread is about... so let's keep it to the thread topic... and let's not get into a debate. And should someone want to debate what appears to be the most controversial topic of the year, go ahead and start another thread on that topic specifically and have at it.

Thank you.

So... what do you think about what you see in the photos?

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 10-28-2009
SOEC Member

Old 10-28-2009
SOEC Member

THANK YOU FOR MAKING A SWEET CAR SALEEN !!!

I LIKE IT !!!

Now to finalize my thought - I need to see those specs !!
Old 10-28-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Thats much more attractive than the 2010 Roush 427R (its direct competitor in my eyes). I wonder if they will add the traditional logo to the side (or I guess thats what those chevron like markings are at the bottom)?

Last edited by NeoS281; 10-28-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-28-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
Thats much more attractive than the Roush 427R. I wonder if they will add the traditional logo to the side?

Ha their was a 427r at the last car show and could not even place in the top 3, in which all saleens placed
Old 10-28-2009
Suspended Account

Now I have to re-think the whole '11 GT500 idea... But I do love my 2010, but it's too nose heavy for me.
Old 10-28-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy View Post
Now I have to re-think the whole '11 GT500 idea... But I do love my 2010, but it's too nose heavy for me.
That's exatcly what I was thinking. Any word on specs and pricing yet?
Old 10-28-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade View Post

wow!! its actually exotic looking, dam nice job guys.
Old 10-28-2009
Banned

saleen first, shelby second and sms doesnt even have a car! but im sure now they will try and copy saleens car and say they designed it first.
Old 10-28-2009

Quote:
I am perfectly capable of building a car my self in my garage at my own time. The problem is it would take years to complete. You see I have a very busy schedule with not alot of free time that I could devote to this, although I would love to and plan to later in my life. That being said, did we all just pay too much money?? I couldnt disagree more, we have limited production, documented and numbered vehicles, we have forums and enthusiest clubs and sites dedicated to our passion and most importantly we have Saleens. Gerat cars! I love nothing more than the once or twice a month I go out and uncover my car and take it for a ride, the amount of aftermarket parts you would need in cosmetics alone to make a GT stand out next to my car at your local grocery store would cost a fortune. Could you built a GREAT looking car that was fsater? Sure. COuld you built one that was better looking? Yes, maybe. Could you do both of these and keep the cost significantly under what I paid for my beautiful, fast car? I seriously doubt it. And furthermore if you did, You would have a GT. 10 years from now which car would bring more money on the open market? Which car would have documentation to show its rareity? Which car would have a history that can be bought into and documented? Which car would have specialty book values to justify spending the money and not just simply buying an unmodified same age GT and "doing it all yourself"? The answer to all of those questions is THE SALEEN and I'm 99% sure you will be able to throw the SMS into that answer also. Anyone can take a stock car and build it to be better and or faster, but then your missing the whole point. Please refer to the post about "why you bought your Saleen" a question asked by a student for a paper he is writing. Do you think he could write a whole term paper about "why you bought a car and modified it" ?
I agree 100%. I had a low 10 second Olds 442 and wish I never modded or raced it. I was young an stupid and should have built a Cutlass instead of a real 442. When I went to sell the car all I heard was " I was looking for something all or more original". Needless to say I got less than half of what it cost to build and had I restored the car with a mild engine, suspension and brake upgrades I would have gotten a much more $$$$.
Old 10-28-2009
SOEC Member

I'm pretty sure those new pics are just renderings - we're all going to have to wait for SEMA for pics of the real thing...

Chris.
Old 10-28-2009
Administrator

We should state that those images are available on Saleen's flickr page, along with other media.
Old 10-28-2009

Default In agreement

Hey TopGun in total agreement! This car is hot, like you said the "competition" doesn't even have a car! And I'm not talking about Roush! If SPV markets this car right, it is going to sell.
Saleen, Shelby, Roush and well we have not seen a product yet at this point SMS. When they show us something than we can make comparisions.
Old 10-28-2009
Suspended Account

Wink The unknown outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiSaleen View Post
The SMS Mustang will be awesome. Just wait until you see it in person. I was at the SMS show in Sept and I am still drooling over the Challenger they are building. Everything they do will be first class all the way!
If I'm not mistaking all I have seen of the SMS Mustang is a rendering or two... Maybe. I hope Steve can pull this one out on top, but SPV has set the bar extremely high with the new S281.
Old 10-28-2009
Suspended Account

Default Impatient Saleen Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctann View Post
I'm pretty sure those new pics are just renderings - we're all going to have to wait for SEMA for pics of the real thing...

Chris.
If they are renderings at least they are newer renderings. I love Mr. Saleen, but I want real pictures not just a rendering or two!
Old 10-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
saleen first, shelby second and sms doesnt even have a car! but im sure now they will try and copy saleens car and say they designed it first.
SMS doesn't have a car??? IMO, that is a rude comment to make towards the man himself, Steve Saleen. If you are going to say that it also goes for MJ, SPV, whatever you want to call them. Just because we see a "picture" of the car doesn't mean anything at all.... They still have to produce it. I have alot more respect for Steve then for MJ and I am sure that SMS will produce a car far superior to the competition especially SPV that will have the great styling and performance that we have always seen from Phil Frank and the true Steve "Saleen".

Now as for the car, it looks ok... I will say it looks ALOT better then the DG cars did. I think it needs a bigger banner, I just hate the small banner they have gone to. You can barely see the side strips. It needs a wing, get rid of the big black thing piece on the backend. Wheels look fine as well as the exhaust and hood.

What I really want to see is the specs and if it produces what they say it will.... aswell as the price!

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 10-28-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
saleen first, shelby second and sms doesnt even have a car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awayne View Post
I have alot more respect for Steve then for MJ and I am sure that SMS will produce a car far superior to the competition especially SPV
Guys, please, lets not go there. Healthy competition is great, but lets not start Saleen or SMS bashing. Both companies have their fans, but I would hate for this place to turn into a "Ford versus Chevy" kind of place...

Chris.
Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

I like it better than other "new" Mustangs I have seen. I would love to be able to see this and the SMS car side by side some day and really compare.

Can we please stop with the SMS vs Saleen posts...or at least move them to their own topic that those of us who want to avoid them can choose not to open.
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

It is a brutal market right now for the "Specialty" Mustang in this insane economic mess this country has gotten in. More & more dealers are shying away from even putting them on their lots. It scares me for the hobbie, and it scares me for the guy next to me who is passionate about their brand of choice. I, as a dedicated owner of a Saleen vehicle, hated what happened @ Saleen, Inc. & where things stand today. It still infuriates me, but as I look @ the photos of the '10 S281 vehicle, it is sharp! It doesn't look thrown together. The front grill & hood are fantastic, and a lot of the issues I had with the rear end were very well addressed. Let's give these guy's some credit, as far as the exterior design; it was well thought out & smokes the Roush & Shelby contributions...like the others though, I wanna see the specs, but to play the "Devil's Advocate" so to speak, I think the SMS vehicle will be a jaw dropper. I just worry that it is entering into an already saturated market @ the worst possible time & is doomed to failure. SMS is going to have to be at the top of it's game, in my opinion, and I think it would further there cause to get there car into the fray and stop the delays. Sorry to ramble...just my opinion as "One of the Few" w/ the power in his hands!!

Old 10-29-2009

I would have more respect for the MJ/SPV if they would not have originally come in and said "sorry, we are not going to warranty any cars that currently have warranty" when they took over certain assets.

When Steve stepped in and took over where MJ dropped the ball that says alot for him IMO! It shows that Steve is there for the owners and backing his name since MJ decided at that time to basically screw the owners.... That is just BAD business on MJ's part. Then they realized they screwed up and have since tried to fix it.

I think the car that MJ is going to build will sell if they can get the dealer network back together, customer base to purchase and have the look and performance that us long time Saleen Enthusiasts are always looking for that the true "Saleen" has given us.

Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

Well said tonylop33! There's always three sides to every story, and if we don't have all the poop on the inside scoop, then it's all just conjecture, and leads us into heated debates over things that in the end probably have no right or wrong answer anyways ;)

I say, as enthusiasts, we just sit back and watch how this all plays out, and hope that the end result is favorable for all companies involved. If they win; we win!!

Old 10-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayne View Post
I would have more respect for the MJ/SPV if they would not have originally come in and said "sorry, we are not going to warranty any cars that currently have warranty" when they took over certain assets.

When Steve stepped in and took over where MJ dropped the ball that says alot for him IMO! It shows that Steve is there for the owners and backing his name since MJ decided at that time to basically screw the owners.... That is just BAD business on MJ's part. Then they realized they screwed up and have since tried to fix it.
Steve steps up and takes on warranty issues...that some have had success with, some not....and then begins to really market his SMS cars. Great marketing. Think about how many cars actually HAD a warranty on them at this time.....a 1000? less than that?

It amazes me that you can say things about MJ and how awful they are without knowing what the details of the saleen/MJ acquisition were. BTW: they do honor warranties. (and they did help anyone that needed it prior to "stepping up" -when they really didnt HAVE to) MJ never dropped the ball. They are a BUSINESS. What kind of business would assume the debt of another one that it is acquiring if it does not HAVE to? I know I wouldnt.

As for SMS not having a car.....have any been sold? have any even been produced? Are any of them under $80,000?! I take that back, I did see the $100k challenger on Ebay....LOL

As for SPV not having a car....how about the "racecraft" saleen released a few months ago? How about having ACTUAL pictures, not renderings, of the new S281 that is being produced...yes, some of us have them, but have not been authorized to release until SEMA. Let me SAY....it is AWESOME!!!!!

With your posts, we are all well-aware of where your loyalties lie. And, trust me, you fit right in here at SOEC. Some of us still respect Steve Saleen and what he has done AND still want Saleen Performance Vehicles to succeed.
Old 10-29-2009

I like the look of the new car, not so much on the rear window louvers. The hood is sweet as long as its not a fake scoop and it actually vents to the intake or something.
Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281Saleen View Post
I like the look of the new car, not so much on the rear window louvers. The hood is sweet as long as its not a fake scoop and it actually vents to the intake or something.
Yep Speedlab has stated that it is a Functional Hood Scoop and has a "TOP SECRET" Saleen SuperCharger for it - which is how they put it !!
Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

As per Mark from SpeedLab:

--> they are working on the Supercharger for the 11 or 12 car. Saleen is going to manufacture the whole unit in house from screws to case. I do not think many of you know the capabilities that the New Saleen has at its fingers!!!
MJ owns several other High Tech company's that Build all the Replacement motors for the Vipers and preps heads and blocks for many other businesses that race in NASCAR,Drag racing and Road Racing. They Know there stuff. The head of one of his company's is an X McLaren engineer.

Saleen purchased a 5 Axis machine to produce the new Supercharger and has developed test equipment to check all of the competition Superchargers against the NEW Saleen Supercharger. It will be the most efficient and powerful Supercharger on the market.
Mark
Old 10-29-2009
Inactive Account

There is some pretty cool stuff going on with this car I have been asked not to discuss from someone who has seen the car and played with it. And some really cool proposed changes/options.

I have friends in both camps and would appreciate comments about the new car from SPV not all this other chatter.

I agree with Tony

Quote:
I like it better than other "new" Mustangs I have seen. I would love to be able to see this and the SMS car side by side some day and really compare.

Can we please stop with the SMS vs Saleen posts...or at least move them to their own topic that those of us who want to avoid them can choose not to open.
Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

On th whole, I like the car. It would be nice to see the "real" hood as that can change the whole appearance of the car. The back end still needs work. Most of it is Ford's fault, but I think Saleen could do a bit more to clean it up. That black "Saleen" insert panel looks cheap. The concept isn't a bad one, but, at least on the red car, it looks to "tack on" to me. The rear bumber could use some more work. There appears to be a lot of realestate on the outer edges of the bumber coming down from those tail-lights. In my opinion, something needs to be done to lessen the size of the rear facia on the outer edges.

The SMS car would be nice to see to do a side-by-side comparison. I just wonder if there is anything to the rumor of their supercharger source no ,onger being available.
Old 10-29-2009
Administrator

Okay...

Enough complaints...

Three users have been temporarily banned (On Vacation) for getting off topic and/or instigating verbal attacks.

A warning for those responding to a verbal attack.

Can we keep this thread on-topic please?

Thank you.
Old 10-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglockner View Post
Coming Soon! They better hurry because the 2011 Mustang order bank opens next month, New 5.0 and EcoBoost V6 and some changes to the rear of the car. I already have several orders ready to load.Tom
Changes to the rear.......not the first time I have heard of this. Very intersted in the GT500, all aluminum 5.4 with a bump in hp from 540. I can't wait to see what Saleen, SMS and Roush do with the new 5.0.
Old 10-29-2009
SOEC Member

Love the side skirts, love the quarter windows, the exhaust... Great car I would be proud to own it!!!

I would like to see a spoiler tho...just a thought.
Old 10-29-2009
Account with Invalid Email

MUCH better looking than SMS's version IMO, especially the rear end.
2007 [COLOR=blue]Corvette [/COLOR]Z06
2009 [COLOR=green]Harley Davidson [/COLOR][COLOR=dimgray]CVO Springer[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
Old 10-29-2009
Account with Invalid Email

Default What do I see in the photos?

I see a beautifull SALEEN!
A real SALEEN and the best looking thing as far as 2010 mustang body.
And yes I call it a SALEEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Hopefully we can pick up again with the S281 discussion.

While there are 25 years of Saleen vehicles that have been touched by Steve, it certainly must be impossible to put ones feet in his shoes and decide what 2010 successor should look like or feel like or behave.

Certainly it can be debated whether or not MJ deserves to call their new vehicle a Saleen -- whether it be in a court of law, or in the court of public opinion. Neither of which we may have a decision on for years to come.

There are those who believe if this 2010 Mustang says "Saleen" it is a Saleen. There are others who believe if a 2010 Mustang is a Saleen, it must say "SMS." There are some that are somewhere in the middle.

It's a fact that is undeniable.

I'm not talking about me, and I'm not talking about SOEC... I'm talking about longtime owners and longtime enthusiasts alike -- people I've talked to, and people who have posted here -- the opinions are all over the landscape.

However, I believe Dave's got a point in saying the S7 is the only "real" Saleen in the photos. At least it's more a Saleen than even a 2005 S281 Mustang or a 2007 PJ, as it's the only one that has been physically touched by Steve from top to bottom, and not starting with a platform from Ford. Though the comment can be perceived as part of the debate mentioned above.

But that's not what this thread is about... so let's keep it to the thread topic... and let's not get into a debate. And should someone want to debate what appears to be the most controversial topic of the year, go ahead and start another thread on that topic specifically and have at it.

Thank you.

So... what do you think about what you see in the photos?

06Saleen E (#86)
Old 10-30-2009
SOEC Member

The pics of the car look awesome and I can't wait to see one in person. If it looks as good as the pics I'm buying.
Old 10-30-2009
Inactive Account

The specs and the actually car will be out next week. Thanks for keeping the thread on topic.
Old 10-30-2009

I really appreciate you deleting my response Greg. I said nothing wrong, I attacked no one. Just stated my opinion about SPV not being a real Saleen and yes my loyality is with Steve but at the same time I can't wait to see "real" pics of the 2010 S281 to soon be released. That I like the Challenger, SMS coming out with actual pics of there 2010 Mustang closer to the car being unveiled, MJ's 435S car and me not liking it. MJ having to step up and take over where they dropped the bomb on the warranties. No need to be so delete happy especially when I said nothing wrong and attacked no one....

Old 10-30-2009
Inactive Account

This thread is not for you opinion about SPV this is about the look of the new SPV car. Everyone has been asked to keep the focus of this thread on the car. That is why it was removed.
Old 10-30-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen Forums Admin View Post
Okay...

Enough complaints...

Three users have been temporarily banned (On Vacation) for getting off topic and/or instigating verbal attacks.

A warning for those responding to a verbal attack.

Can we keep this thread on-topic please?

Thank you.
Agreed!!! PLEASE!!!! keep this on topic!!!!
Old 10-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
This thread is not for you opinion about SPV this is about the look of the new SPV car. Everyone has been asked to keep the focus of this thread on the car. That is why it was removed.

Thats fine Greg. My post did include my opinion about the car like I stated in my last post and at the sametime I have the right to defend my opinion on where I stand.

Why not start another thread to discuss opinions of the 2 companies and whatever else is being discussed off topic here if you don't want this type of discussion in this thread instead of deleting my post all together? That would make more sense IMO...

Old 10-30-2009
Inactive Account

Please start that thread and help keep this thread on topic.

We will be more then happy to direct off topic comments to the thread you start.
Old 10-30-2009

That sounds great!

I wish you would have thought about that before removing my other post, that would have been more appreciated.

One other thing Greg, its not like you don't know me... We have hung out together in the past out in Irvine. I would hope your would respect my opinions more then just deleting them since I would like to think you would agree with me on some of them.

Old 10-30-2009
SOEC Member

Any word on a spoiler, or are we really just waiting for the sema show before we know anything? Past cars would tell me this is a n/a car and the s/c would have one.. Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2009

Quote:
Any word on a spoiler, or are we really just waiting for the sema show before we know anything? Past cars would tell me this is a n/a car and the s/c would have one.. Thoughts?

It needs a spoiler. I would agree with you the no spoiler=n/a car.