The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 11-23-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Fix for exhaust drone?

anyone found a cure yet for that annoying exhaust drone in the S331?
I think it is coming from the collectors at the side exit, but I am also thinking about changing the mufflers for some others.

Hennie
Old 11-23-2008

Hennie,

Not sure what you mean by the collectors at the sides. The drone is from the crossflow magnaflow muffler that is directly under the cab of the truck. A GENIUS idea from someone at saleen.

You could have all of your interior ripped out and have dynamat put down to help block some of the drone.

You could change your rear gears so when you are driving, you are not int he RPM range that causes the drone.

You could change to the non side exit exhaust from the 08 models (or any 04-09 f150 dual exhaust setup) and make your side exit nonfunctional.

You could try some headers and different cats and a 2.5 I/O muffler in the same place where the stock muffler is now. I dont know if this will solce the problem though.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

I remember the C6 corvette had a similiar problem. Alot of guys put a Corsa exhaust on because it was well insulated. I wonder if there is an insulated exhaust that would fit on the saleen? I wonder if a fiberglass exhaust wrap might help. I still think the collectors on the side exit have alot to do with it resonating in the cab, but how would a person fix that. Dynamating the entire cab would work if you have the time or the money.
Old 11-25-2008

I dont understand what you mean by the collectors on the sides. Those "tips" arent even tips at all. They are just metal frames. There is nothing but an exhaust pipe that is angled out behind them.

I just spoke with Mike at Troyer Performance. He sells headers and a different intermediate pipe. He said there is a way to route the exhaust so the muffler would move from the stock location. This should relieve the drone. The headers and intermediate pipe are a little pricey. he doesnt have the rest of the kit developed, but I am sure he could walk someone through it. Just give him a call or email sales@troyerperformance.com.

He also said that he would consider doing an entire custom exhaust setup on an S331 at cost, as long as you could leave the truck with him for a little bit. he is in VA.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

That metal frame is what I am calling the "collector" it should of been connected to the exhaust. The metal frame resonates the exhaust note. I noticed last night that the metal frame is also starting to rattle loose.
Old 11-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenKS View Post
That metal frame is what I am calling the "collector" it should of been connected to the exhaust. The metal frame resonates the exhaust note. I noticed last night that the metal frame is also starting to rattle loose.
Rattlings loose doesnt surprise me. However, The drone you hear is coming from the muffler, not the tips on the side. Some of these trucks came with a borla muffler, some came with a magnaflow. The Borla tends to resonate more than the magnaflow. If the muffer was moved to the position as it was on the lightnings and 05+ F150s, you would have no resonation, regardless of the tips. An easy test is to unbolt the tips and remove them. Drive around a bit, you will still get the same resonation.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

havent noticed that problem on mine but when i take it out of storage im gonna check. BUT i do have a ? does anyone know how many 331's were produced in 07? i have a 331SC #349 had a 07 #249 not SC.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez331sc View Post
havent noticed that problem on mine but when i take it out of storage im gonna check. BUT i do have a ? does anyone know how many 331's were produced in 07? i have a 331SC #349 had a 07 #249 not SC.

600 I believe.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

Really! Thanks! Ks
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

I just went and crawled under mine. I have the Magnaflow. I Guess I didnt realize how far forward the exhaust pipe was. I think I am going to try and wrap the exhaust and see if that works.
Old 11-25-2008

What will you be swapping the exhaust to? A regular F150 setup? You will lose your side exit exhaust. More than likely, you will have to go to a custom exhaust shop. With headers, new cats, new muff, and new pipes, you are looking at clost to $2000 with labor included. I am not sure what Troyer charges for headers, the cats, and muff.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
What will you be swapping the exhaust to? A regular F150 setup? You will lose your side exit exhaust. More than likely, you will have to go to a custom exhaust shop. With headers, new cats, new muff, and new pipes, you are looking at clost to $2000 with labor included. I am not sure what Troyer charges for headers, the cats, and muff.

I was talking about wraping the muffler with exhaust wrap like I have done on my race car and my bike. It cheap compared to the alternative. If it dont work oh well Im only out a couple hundred bucks and a few hours.
Old 11-25-2008

Lemme know how the wrap works.

According to my records, there were much less than 600 S331s made in 07. More like 350 +/-

I had more numbers that broke it down by color and SC option from Saleen, but I will be ****ed if I cant find the email. I know mine was one of 20 that was red with the options that I have. Just email saleen customer service through their site and someone will get back to you. Thats what I did.
Old 11-25-2008
Suspended Account

KS let me know what you figure out about your noise.so can put on the back burner if i find i have the same. thanks LIGHT02 ive E/M SALEEN an havent gotten a reply.on that subject. mine is Black an all the bells & whistels
Old 12-04-2008

I posted up on the cervinis forum and gave them a call regarding their side exit exhaust system that they utilize on their trucks. I couldnt get anyone on the phone, but I am awaiting a response. Their description says that they use magnaflow mufflerS...read, more than one. Maybe they have a kit already out. There cannot be too many different ways to run this exhaust.
Old 12-04-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
Lemme know how the wrap works.

According to my records, there were much less than 600 S331s made in 07. More like 350 +/-

I had more numbers that broke it down by color and SC option from Saleen, but I will be ****ed if I cant find the email. I know mine was one of 20 that was red with the options that I have. Just email saleen customer service through their site and someone will get back to you. Thats what I did.
My dealer told me 406 were produced, and out of that the last 6 were full 4 door models. Mine is #402. Thanks for all the JDM/Troyer info. Santa will be stopping in my garage this year!!
Old 12-04-2008
Suspended Account

well thanks im going to try to get in touch with them again on the production #s but mine is 349 my other was 299 (NOT S.C.) but i have a ? about these TDM/TROYER kits. what is the benifets, an does it effect the warrenty? im a body man not (can do body work an paint it BLACK any day!) a real mec. BUT i can put a duel 4 intake, out of the box an install it on my 67 Fairlane 289 an THEN called a mec. (a friend of mine) to spec it for me an there was NO adjustment needed. BUT this NEW stuff has me cabaffeled!! TOO many wires!! but i have found that this place is a VERY good place to visit. VERY informative, an KOOL personalities.
Old 02-06-2009
SOEC Member

The Production exhausts on these trucks were Magnaflow for the first half of the 07 model year, and Edelbrock for the second half of 07 and all of 08. The mufflers are different and the exhaust ends are different (edelbrock doesnt require the shrouds), dont want to call them "tips" because they are stictly cosmetic and don't attach to the exhaust itself due to the tight clearances between it and the rocker panel. The exhaust can move a little, and the tip would rub the panels if they were actually attached, so instead they are suspended from the bottom of the truck.

The Edelbrock doesn't drone nearly as badly, and is much more tolerable. I have a few of both the side and rear exhausts available. I also have the rocker panels and bed panels, as well as rear fascias. If you are interested in replacing your exhaust with the newer version, changing to the rear exit, or just want some spare parts "just in case", contact me and I'll make sure you get the best possible deal.
Old 02-06-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Hooker

Well the fix that I posted did help but I am still not satisfied. I looked @ the Edelbrock mufflers but bought the Hooker aerochambers to try. Doing away with the DIDO and going with 2 SISO. Maybe the H or the X pipe. Not sure which one, but will be installing them today. These things look good. Hooker and other reviews claim they are known for no drone or at least little or no drone. I have seen the the ehaust that goes out the rocker and they do look very good. Out the back pipes don't seem to drone the cab as bad, well the best I remember but when younger the drone didn't bother me either. Thanks for the offer and may get back with you. I'll let the forum know the results of this change. I have to find a reasonable fix for this issue. Hate to throw $$$ out the window but this isn't the first time and won't be the last. My veh. is my hobby these days.