View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Response

To respond: "if the car appeals to the masses it is not special" Come on Dave, I'll give you an example: Did you ever hear of a Boss 302? It appealed to the masses, WAS realitively cheap and a very SPECIAL automobile.
As far as the employees of Saleen go... Did they receive the same profits and dividends that the hierarchy exponged? I think not. So fair credit for failure has to be doled out accordingly. The old addage may apply here: "the fish rots from the head down".
Fantasyland is a good term, but do you really think there are enough customers out there to buy into Fantasyland? Remains to be seen....
Also, Do you really consider the MJ/Saleen A CHEAP PRODUCT? Cheap on who's level? Bill Gates?? How can anyone derive what kind of product this car will be by seeing 3 partial pics? From what I know, the guys at SPV deserve better than just being browbeat, they are a great bunch of guys attempting to renew something with some very good automobiles. We are not giving them credit for what they are doing, remember this IS their first year.
As far as Mr. Shelby/ Mr. Saleen goes.... they both have built great cars over the years. I would have to think Mr. Shelby's first foray into building cars far overshadowed anything Mr. Saleen has done, or will do. His Cobra's, Mustang's and GT40's are not in the same conversation as what Mr. Saleen built ( although I think Mr. Saleen did build some very good cars. His cars just don't stack up). Mr. Shelby is an automotive icon and deserves the accolades he receives. And hopefully, someone will bring up the S-7 ( a great car) but how many times did it win at LeMans? I am not trying to beat up on Mr. Saleen. I think he was quite a good auto builder in his day, but if you are about to put Mr. Shelby in a box, Is Mr. Saleen far behind??? Hmmmm.....