View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-878 View Post
I am perfectly capable of building a car my self in my garage at my own time. The problem is it would take years to complete. You see I have a very busy schedule with not alot of free time that I could devote to this, although I would love to and plan to later in my life. That being said, did we all just pay too much money?? I couldnt disagree more, we have limited production, documented and numbered vehicles, we have forums and enthusiest clubs and sites dedicated to our passion and most importantly we have Saleens. Gerat cars! I love nothing more than the once or twice a month I go out and uncover my car and take it for a ride, the amount of aftermarket parts you would need in cosmetics alone to make a GT stand out next to my car at your local grocery store would cost a fortune. Could you built a GREAT looking car that was fsater? Sure. COuld you built one that was better looking? Yes, maybe. Could you do both of these and keep the cost significantly under what I paid for my beautiful, fast car? I seriously doubt it. And furthermore if you did, You would have a GT. 10 years from now which car would bring more money on the open market? Which car would have documentation to show its rareity? Which car would have a history that can be bought into and documented? Which car would have specialty book values to justify spending the money and not just simply buying an unmodified same age GT and "doing it all yourself"? The answer to all of those questions is THE SALEEN and I'm 99% sure you will be able to throw the SMS into that answer also. Anyone can take a stock car and build it to be better and or faster, but then your missing the whole point. Please refer to the post about "why you bought your Saleen" a question asked by a student for a paper he is writing. Do you think he could write a whole term paper about "why you bought a car and modified it" ?
I agree 100%. I had a low 10 second Olds 442 and wish I never modded or raced it. I was young an stupid and should have built a Cutlass instead of a real 442. When I went to sell the car all I heard was " I was looking for something all or more original". Needless to say I got less than half of what it cost to build and had I restored the car with a mild engine, suspension and brake upgrades I would have gotten a much more $$$$.