View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

As the true Saleen story should be... it didn't work out as planned.

I had the hats made and bolted the rotors to it, 10 bolts in each and torqued at 8Nm, so ready to install and hit the road...
Well not really, it did hit about anything it could hit bu the road, for some reason the bolt holes were not measured correct
As I wanted to have it right this time, i took it all off the car, unbolted the hub as well and went to another shop who could do some serious milling and machining.
So we measured it all again, and found some interesting things.
The hats were made according the original Alcon rotors, but to our surprise the inside of the hat and stock alcon rotors are too tight and their diameter is 2mm short compared to the flange of the hub, so it will never slide over exactly since it is too tight, and will always be wiggling, the problem is that you just don't feel it when you install the brakes.
we made the new hats in such way that it fits the hub flange exactly and also an exact fit around the bolts and center, it now really needs copper paste to make sure it will come off again.
So I bolted both sides on this afternoon, made a test drive and finally I have the brakes I was looking for, no vibration and really impressive brakes!!

I know not much of the XP's are running the big brake alcon kits any more, but at least for those who wants to reinstall them, it can be done safely now. If you have a caliper set I can get you the brackets and 2 pce rotors with the correct offset.

finally..