The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2005-2009 Saleen Mustang (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   2005-09 Saleen comparison to 2003-04 Cobra? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=8701)

AF24 11-15-2010 10:52 PM

2005-09 Saleen comparison to 2003-04 Cobra?

I am a Cobra guy considering buying an 05-09 Saleen SC281. I have had several Cobra's and have always loved the look of these Saleens. I realize it's not exactly apples to apples here, but I'm basically checking to see if others here have made the same transition. I believe it's obvious that the ride, interior, stereo, and looks (arguably) are the advantages of the Saleen, but the raw power of the 03/04 Cobra is truly hard to beat for the money. I don't expect to have the same neck-snapping feel of a 600+ hp cobra, but how would one of these cars with a couple of simple bolt-ons (pulley/intake/tune) compare with a pulley/exhaust/tune Cobra? Any input is appreciated.

Seabee 11-15-2010 11:23 PM

It was a toss up between this car and a termi, I chose this one. I wanted the show as well. But if you are looking for a great engine with plenty of capabilities, go with the termi. If you want some show, and like the name, go with Saleen. The car rides better than a termi, and alot more comfortable on the inside too. They both have their advantages

coolcobramatt 11-15-2010 11:34 PM

I think I know you don't I? I see that Maryville TN location lol.

You already know most of this but I'll post up just for the heck of it. I just took delivery of my vista blue s281sc Sunday. I sold my mystichrome vert (KB 2.2 600+ rwhp) last month. I loved my terminator, and it was my second actually. The question I asked was do I really need that much hp in a street car? I modded mine so far it wasn't fun to drive anymore. It wouldn't hook up and it always needed an extra tweak or something was going wrong. Me not being mechanically inclined I wasn't able to fix issues that alot of people probably could have. My MC won Best of Show at the 08 NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green.

Do I miss it? I guess a little. I need to own the Saleen for awhile to make a fair comparison but everything I had read about the S197's being a much more streetable car and more solid than the previous mustangs was very true. My 03 Cobra was about 500 rwhp and was a much better car than my Kb cobra.

The comments and looks I've received on the looks of the Saleen have already been substantial. This coming from an owner of a car that changed colors lol. Try the Saleen if you have the itch. There will always be another terminator out there, another GT500, another Saleen. But if you find the Saleen that's right for you and it has low miles, is in mint condition, etc, you may want to make the jump. Hope this helps you out. BTW, the Saleen is mustang #14 for me.

mosaleen 11-16-2010 06:23 PM

I have 2005 Saleen #10 Press car S/C with about $3000 bolt ons,
3.20 S/c pulley, stock lower end 3 valve, GT 500 fuel pumps, Mosaleen relocation idler system, shorty headers, x pipe, sct tuner, Extreme CAI,
Stage 2 + clutch, Afco heatexchanger, little more and made 495 rwhp 465 rwtq at 12 1/2 lbs boost. With forged internals like the Extremes have you can make in the 550 to 600 rwhp.

Scott

thgach 11-16-2010 06:26 PM

there is a saleen cobra on ebay right now ...best of both worlds

coolcobramatt 11-16-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosaleen (Post 45976)
I have 2005 Saleen #10 Press car S/C with about $3000 bolt ons,
3.20 S/c pulley, stock lower end 3 valve, GT 500 fuel pumps, Mosaleen relocation idler system, shorty headers, x pipe, sct tuner, Extreme CAI,
Stage 2 + clutch, Afco heatexchanger, little more and made 495 rwhp 465 rwtq at 12 1/2 lbs boost. With forged internals like the Extremes have you can make in the 550 to 600 rwhp.

Scott

So aren't you pushing it with 495 and no forged internals?

mosaleen 11-16-2010 10:24 PM

JDM Engineering has run 510 rwhp and more with no trouble. Just have to make sure its a safe tune, mine was set at 11.6 to 11.7 - 1 air / fuel ratio. In the cool temp. of 75 degrees outside (if tuned in the heat when you drive in the cold your air/fuel will increase causing det.)
It was tuned on 93 oct. I also have 91 and 104 oct. tunes.
You also have to make sure your tuner does not take off the retarding of the timeing when temps on the Intake air temps get over 130 degrees. AT 130 degrees comp. takes out timing every 5 degrees after . Hinse the Afco heat exchanger to keep the IAT below 130 degrees when floored.

AF24 11-17-2010 03:45 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Still kind of torn on the decision but we'll see what happens. Wish I could have got the white Extreme on here not long ago!

06-281SC-712 11-18-2010 02:47 PM

I've emailed a friend who recently owned both an 07 SC281 and an 04 Termi at the same time. I asked him to chime in and provide you with some feedback..His impression to me was that they were both great cars with different strengths..but I will let him provide specifics.

coolcobramatt 11-20-2010 06:56 PM

Well I finally got to take mine out and gave it a little gas. :smile:

Best way to describe the two cars is with two words, refined and brutal. The power in the Saleen (mine is in the high 400's whp) is more refined, meaning the power comes on more smoothly, but it's still quite strong, more than enough for the street. The KB cobra was brutal, so much torque that it lit the tires way too easily. My Steggy Stage 4 cobra though was much more like the Saleen. It was around 515 whp and the power just shoved you back in the seat and boom it went to 130 in 3rd without breathing hard at all.

In retrospect, the Steg car and the modded Saleen are pretty darn close. The added comfort and styling make the Saleen a tough package to pass on. The KB cobra was simply too much for the street. It was fun to brag about 600+ hp at the wheels, but if ya can't hook it up, that **** 160 hp Eclipse will walk away from you.

Daytona1783 12-14-2010 02:01 AM

I had the same decision to make until this past summer. I love the looks of the Saleen, but the power and potential of the Cobra is awesome. Over the summer, I drove my buddies 04 Mystichrome, and it's a beast, putting down about 525hp. About a week later, I drove another friend's 06 Saleen. Like stated above, the Cobra power is hard to manage, where the Saleen is more smooth.

The thing that made me decide was the interior and the overall super car feel of the Saleen. The 03-04 Cobra has the same interior appointments as my 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It is cheap plastic all the way around, and the seats are kinda cramped and are not that comfortable. To me, the shifter is just uncomfortable in the Cobra. The interior of the Saleen is more modern and well refined.

The looks of the car were also a big factor. Do you want a Cobra, a car that is just another Mustang in the crowd to anyone that is not an enthusist, or a Saleen, which has the performance and the looks to turn heads. At the end of the day, it is your decision, but I have decided to go with Saleen. I just have to sell my 66 Coupe first...

Good luck with your search.

06-281SC-712 12-14-2010 02:06 PM

As far as refined in the Saleen, I guess the seats and some of small touches make it better than the Cobra, but it still retained alot of the cheap plastic Ford uses...

saleen777 12-14-2010 10:00 PM

I was a cobra guy. I had the same cross road that coolcobramatt had. 600 HP just get's you trouble. I'm very happy with my Saleen. It's rare, it's fast, and looks spectacular! No one knows how many hp you are running, but everyone see's how good your car looks. :-)