The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2005-2009 Saleen Mustang (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Power Upgrade for S281 S/C (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=2613)

UKSaleen 07-07-2006 04:52 PM

Power Upgrade for S281 S/C

Hey,

Anyone going to take the plunge and order their 475 power upgrade for their supercharged S281?
i think I will wait until a few more have been sold to see how the last. Saleen have apparently run a few on test vehciles and have abused them and the mods have stood up to the hammering.
Guess the upgrades are injectors, CAI, and pulley? If its 475 bhp then I guess that would work out as 415rwhp?
Does the standard S281 S/C run 385rwhp?

the upgrade is apparently going to cost around $1000. Anyone know if you need to go to Saleen direct or via a dealer?

Kev

freejack 07-21-2006 04:41 PM

I beleive that only the 04 SC posted 385 HP. RWHP is more like 315 RWHP.
freejack

msouhlas 09-05-2006 11:09 AM

I finished installing my upgrade kit on Saturday. The performance difference is very noticeable, especially at low end. Kind of scary to drive now.

This kit is a must-have... Forget about all the other 3rd part add-ons - this is all you need (ok, and perhaps now a detroit locker)

HotRodHarry 11-27-2006 07:26 PM

will Saleen still cover the warranty on my new 06 S281 SC if I order the kit from them? I hear the stock tune on my 435hp car is lean and not safe from Saleen. So does Saleen want me to keep running it that way and pray or get a good reliable tune so the car runs a long long while with no probs. I hear they are in the 13.0 to 14.0 range and that is nuts for a Supercharged car..should be 11.5 to 11.8 probably...maybe even richer depending on boost and gas used.

msouhlas 12-01-2006 02:21 PM

Being Saleen, it is certainly possible that they may change their stance (especially if/after a few lean 435HP engines have failed under warranty). However, at this time I have been told by several that they do not honor the warranty in its entirety after the upgrade. Although no two responses to my query about this to Saleen were the same, they all seemed to follow the same theme... "No"...

If you throw a rod or drop a valve, I would bet against coverage although they would still replace your radio or wiper motor if it should fail since those failures would have nothing to do with the boost and power output.

Note that the 2007 factory specs are currently published at 465HP, not the full 475 number that is published with the kit. Not sure why this is the case. It is either because they detuned the factory version to reduce risk of failure (or possibly just chose not to cut out the bottom of the airbox and that made a 10HP reduction), or they rated the output differently, or they understated the output so that the GT-500 looks a bit better... I don't have this answer as of yet.

I guess this might be a tougher decision for you than it was for me, since your name is hot rod... Personally, unless you plan to push the car to its absolute limit on a regular basis, I don't see the risk, as I agree with you that some fuel enrichment is a benefit. The blue 39# injectors have 4 spray nozzles while the stock 24's had only 2.

The whole kit took me 3 hours to install, and Saleen turned around the control module in 1 day, so I was down only 3 calendar days.

Note that since I responded to this originally, I had a chance to drive the car approx. 1000 miles with the kit. I get about 2-3 MPG better on the highway now than before (22-23MPG @ 70-80MPH) and the out-of-the-hole gain is significant enough to make the car feel and sound totally different.

Worse case, a 4.6 mod short/long block doesn't cost that much anyway... Why not consider removing the original assy and replacing it with a donor engine (if so, perhaps also go with a forged rotating assy) if you are really concerned about the numbers matching when you're ready to sell... Just some food for thought. Hope that this helps you with your decision.

If you had a chance to drive mine, I believe that you would definitely decide to take any such risks... This kit with 3.73's or 4.10's with a locker would in my opinion put this car into the 11s and run (with passengers and golf clubs) with the Z06. I am considering the 3.73s as a fair compromise.

Good luck ... By the way - nice color. I haven't seen one like that prior. Mine is Vista Blue... 2006 #432

HotRodHarry 12-01-2006 04:38 PM

You have alot of good points Wayne and I am going to consider them. Thankyou for your input and the compliment on my Saleen.

I will have to weigh my options and exactly what I want to do with the new one. I already have some wickedly fast rides to get my fill of serious rwhp. But like you know...once you know how well a car can run compared to how it runs stock. Its hard to hold back .

Thanks again