The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-23-2011
SOEC Member

Question Help: New owner with oil leak issue - 2007 S281 S/C

I bought a 2007 281 SC this past July and am enjoying it a lot. It is a Torch Red coupe with just 7000 miles on it now. It looks like I have the oil leak issue, I have the blue sealant on the front section of the supercharger and some oil residue on the underside of the hood. Does anyone know of a dealer or shop in the Minneapolis area that knows the Saleen superchargers and could help me out?
Old 10-24-2011
SOEC Member

Is it leaking from your snout?
Old 10-24-2011
SOEC Member

If you find that you are not leaking from your snout. Do you know if you PCV system was incorrectly modified? If you are unsure put up some pictures of your engine.
Old 10-24-2011
SOEC Member

It has oil residue around the front of the snout but there was even some oil on the underside of the hood over the front of the supercharger. I would like to find a knowlegable person in the Minneapolis area to look at it. The in-service date is Oct 31,2009 so the car is still under warranty. I have contacted Saleen and they verified it is under warranty but have not offered any help yet.
Old 10-24-2011
SOEC Member

281 motorsport is in CA.
2005 S/C #10 Press Car w/ Scenic Roof
3.20 S/C Pulley & 18% overdrive Crank
Mosaleen S/C no slip idler system
3:73 gears, Watts link Gen II
14" front brakes, slotted rear rotors
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
F-5 Joplin Mo. Tornado surviour 5-22-11.
Old 10-25-2011
SOEC Member

If you are under warranty still you are in good shape. Call Saleen/revstone back and find out who is in your area to do the warranty repairs.
Old 10-27-2011
SOEC Member

Default Checking supercharger oil level

How big of a job is it to get at the supercharger oil filler plug? I want to check the oil level but I don't know how many parts I have to remove to get at it.
Old 10-27-2011
SOEC Member

you have to take off the cross over water jacket to be able to get to the plug to take it out. There is a special oil you have to use to get the 50 K miles out of it. Recommended change is 50K miles .
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
Old 10-27-2011
SOEC Member

I,ve checked mine by just taking off the belt & alternator.It's a bit tricky to get the plug out but it can be done.
Old 10-28-2011
SOEC Member

tbar, what did you use to remove the plug? I couldn't get any tools in there. When I asked Matt from 281 he told me to drain some of the coolant and remove the crossover to check (of course the alternator and inlet air tube are also removed for that).
Old 10-28-2011
SOEC Member

I use a 1" long x 1/4 hex bit,insert it in the plug with needle nose and turn it out with 1/4 wrench. Any of those little screw driver bits you use in a drill will work, the hex side is the same size as the plug. Pack some rags around the plug in case you drop something.I figured that out the hard way.
Old 10-29-2011
SOEC Member

Default Checked the oil today

I managed to get the filler plug off with just removing the alternator. It was tricky, but your suggestions helped a lot. I added a full 4 oz bottle of Motorcraft supercharger oil to get the level back up, so my supercharger is leaking. I even managed to get the plug back on. Thanks for the info.

Now I just have to find a dealer in Minneapolis that will work on the leak.
Old 10-29-2011
SOEC Member

Brian,

Do yourself a favor and call Jason at 281 Motorports. You can ship the SC to them and they'll get the leak problem solved for you. I had the leak issue as well and the dealer who sold lots of these cars wasn't even aware of the problem. Even the dealers who did SC installs on 3v's didn't get into the inside of the SC. I asked them to check the oil level and they were reluctant to do that because of problems they had had with leaking water crossover fittings. These techs had done numerous installs but wanted no part of the inner workings.

The units were shipped complete and they did the installs. It will likely cost you less and it will be done correctly. If you're up for it they'll even walk you through removing and reinstalling the SC yourself.

I was very pleased with the work they did for me and they turned it around pretty quickly.

Good luck.

05-336
04-183
95-75
87-187
Old 10-31-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
I use a 1" long x 1/4 hex bit,insert it in the plug with needle nose and turn it out with 1/4 wrench. Any of those little screw driver bits you use in a drill will work, the hex side is the same size as the plug. Pack some rags around the plug in case you drop something.I figured that out the hard way.
Gonna try that, thank you. I know I could not get the allen sockets in there, or any other allen for that matter. Didn't think of the bit. Gonna have to do that till I can pull the SC for service.
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

Found out last night that you can also use a flexible 1/4" drive extension for a drill. Got the plug out by flipping the extention around and inserting a long bit backwards in my cordless drill. plugged them together once the extension was in the fill hole and it came out easily. Now getting the oil out would be a pain, since the hand oil removal tool was too large ( I am going to pull the SC in the next couple weeks for service anyway). So I just topped it off with the motorcraft SC oil, 2.5 ounces added in total, by putting two flexible drinking straws together and using the supplied tip on the oil bottle.

Getting the plug back in is tough. With either the bit or the flexible extension you have little room to move. I ended up lining the plug up with a finger and getting it started with the needle nose pliers turning the plug. Then back to the extension (you have to bend it with the needle nose pliers to get it in the plug either time) and zip it was back in. I honestly spent the most time trying to get the plug back in.

Glad to have the piece of mind knowing I have enough oil in the blower.
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

I found getting the plug back in was the hardest part. Still think it's easier than draining coolant and removing the cross over. You could use a vacuum pump to drain the oil but I don't think you can get it all.
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

Yeah I had a small vacuum draw type device I bought to do this, but the hose was too large to fit through the plug hole, so I decided to just add the fluid so I was full for the next couple weeks before I get a new snout and do the 50K mi PM.
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

Ahhh, good to know guys... O I had so much fun working on the Saleen, its starting to go back together. WOW !!! What a paint job.....
I got the new Fluidyne Radiator and Afco heat Exchanger installed, Waiting on the front bumper to go back on and install the brake duct kit to cool the brakes (soon to let you all know the quality of it).
Should be 2 to 3 weeks and it will be back in my garage...
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

Which brake duct kit did you get?
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

Its one that I have found that is 800 degrees hose, with ducts that fit up to the Saleen bumper inlets , and the back plate with hole for the hose to clamp onto that blows on the brake rotor. I have been waiting for the Saleen to get done so I can final install the kit to make sure it is what I want it to be before putting it on mosaleen web site. Its not to bad on price either... details to be coming soon.
Old 11-02-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade View Post
Which brake duct kit did you get?
+1 on the brake duct kit. Who is the manufacturer or any links you can pass on to us? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
I found getting the plug back in was the hardest part. Still think it's easier than draining coolant and removing the cross over. You could use a vacuum pump to drain the oil but I don't think you can get it all.
I just performed the SC snout check and I too have the blue sweaty sealant. So I picked up this awesome little tool for $12 and it made removing and installing the oil plug a breeze.

It was definitely low but I was able to siphon out 4 ounces of the old oil with a vacuum tool and used the OEM Saleen oil to fill it back up. I will check it again in a few months to determine the urgency of a rebuild.
Old 11-11-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray is Grey View Post
I just performed the SC snout check and I too have the blue sweaty sealant. So I picked up this awesome little tool for $12 and it made removing and installing the oil plug a breeze.

It was definitely low but I was able to siphon out 4 ounces of the old oil with a vacuum tool and used the OEM Saleen oil to fill it back up. I will check it again in a few months to determine the urgency of a rebuild.

Which awesome tool?
Old 11-14-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
Which awesome tool?
Oh yeah, I guess a link would have helped.

http://www.tooltopia.com/vim-hbr5.as...googlebase_18u

You will still have to remove the alternator, but this will get you in there and the small ratchet teeth will get you 2 clicks per turn.

Install your bit into the ratchet upside down and I used a dab of anti-seize to hold the oil plug onto the bit.

Last edited by Gray is Grey; 11-14-2011 at 06:23 AM.